dft
    mtbr member

technical.freeriding on big island west side??

any info greatly appreciated. i'm fly into KOA for work in Jan and looking to try to rent a decent bike (5-7 inch travel) bike and ride some technical, large vertical sinlgletrack trails.

thanks, i'll buy the beers if anyone wants to show around. i'm advanced rider that likes technical/freeriding but can also climb alot if need be.

Ride to the ride.
    I'd say the best bet is to rent a bike from Bike Works and hook up with them for the Sunday ride. It'll be fun, and maybe even have something like technical freeriding on it. You'll see somewhere interesting on the island, and you'll meet folks who can connect you with the (usually very small) crowd of "freeriders".

If you just want technical and free, ride the lava at Kona Coast State Park (Kekahakai). It's technical, free, nothing like downhill, and if you fall over, it's like landing on a cheese grater.

The Bike Works crowd will have a bike for you and know where to point you. (There are no legal "freeride" trails on the island. But there's some dang gnarly trails there.)

www.bikeworkskona.com

Have fun!

--Greg
    Former resident of Kona.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Photos and adventures being logged at Dirt & Dogs.

dft
    mtbr member
    thanks!
    i don't need "freeride", but if i can find some nice technical/steep/large vertical trails, that would be great. any singletrack off the volcanoes? thanks again.