mtbr member

sharing the mountain

why wont the hunters in kokee share the lower section with bikers..the state is now disrupting the old trail that ive used both hunting and riding since i was a kid..its a bummer we just cant share the mountain so everyone can be happy..its not like the bikers are causing any more corrotion that the state are making with those ditches that will let more corrotion of the valley..sorry just so fustrated
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    The hunters have never given me any trouble. They spook easy though, so I don't rail the lower corners if there's trucks around. And generally avoid the area on hunting days when I can. And avoid the early AM when they're active.

The DOT drainage work is a joke but I don't think they're purposely trying to ruin any trail. They just won't be happy until all that dirt is covering the reef in Waimea. WTF?

At any rate — the trail cross-cuts seem to be getting patched by some "Menehune" so leave out a bag of shrimp...

mtbr member
    I pedal from the first mango tree up to the junction..On monday as i was riding up i caught up to the State workers..You should have seen there faces they wanted to hide behind there equipment..Im from the West Side and i knew most of them..I think they didnt expect to see any bikers or at the least me biking up..I beleive some of the workers know some hunters who possible asked for them for a favor.. just in case.. i was born here and i had one local hunter drive down to my truck and give me the stink eye until i told him whats up and than he waved and left....geeezz..anytime any menehunes are in need help please let me know im up for the repair..

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I've talked to some hunters over here about the issues I had over on Kauai. They thought it
    was pretty stupid. Where these guys hunt over here they have to watch out for 4X4, quads,
    mxers and such. They were laughing when I said we were accused of scaring the game away.

We have our issues over here in some areas, but on the hills where it's shared use, there's no
    issues at all. I see hikers and equestrians all the time on some of the trails and they wave and
    say "hi", we nod/wave/say "hi" back. We see them and slow down, they see us and get out of
    the way.

A couple months ago we were sessioning one of the sections and a group of 5 about 60-70
    years old came up to us and asked why they tore down the Ski jump (it was a huge skinny
    to step down). We told them they CRD (Can DLNR) thought it was too dangerous. They
    responded with "that's a shame, I never got to see anyone go off of it".

I hope your situation gets better.

mtbr member
    Hi..I think its pretty silly too scaring away game. I've rode within 1 foot from goats,deer on that very same trail.They really didnt hear me coming till i was on them. I usually see the vehicles parked on my pedal up so when i come down i avoid that section..I wish that the State would stop causing the destruction to the trail because the red dirt will flow down to the ocean even more now with those two large ditches this winter killing more of our reefs.. Thx guys for letting me vent..Hopefully one day we all can share this awesome place without any differances.. and maybe a nice ride together Aloha Stan....

Canuck on this Rock
    I wonder if this is going to be something DLNR or whoever as standard practice across the islands. Here on Oahu there are several trails we share with the hunters.

Is the trail you are speaking of considered a share trail? We have one here that is a shared trail with everyone, and one that the mountain bikers kind of adopted and started riding on.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    A few years ago I remember almost gapping a black tail deer (he was below and to the right
    of my trajectory). I thought it was a dog, turned out to be two there. They were there the next
    day too, then across the street the next day. Considering the trail I was on is within 100 feet
    of the road, and a lot of pocket rockets and little acuras with flowmasters go up and down that
    road all day long, I'm sure the chainslap on my bike or the Hadley hub was just too much for
    them animals. Pfft. I just got done mowing my lawn and I had at least 5 deer watching me the
    whole time.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss
    Is the trail you are speaking of considered a share trail?
    It's not part of the state trail system—it's not a trail at all in that sense... but it's also a "shared trail" in that motos, hunters, horses and bikers have been sharing it for at least a decade with almost no conflicts... like most Kauai trails...

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Enjoy this long A$$ post...

Noise Among Reasons Cited for Banning Trail Riding on Kauai

I posted this a long time ago. Situation is pretty much the same today.

Check your PMs Kahaikapu...

mtbr member
    Wow..thx for the info..great stuff..thx again stan