Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

SCORP to the Future

Enjoy these excerpts from the new, and previous S.C.O.R.P.

- - - -

[SIZE="5"]2003 S.C.O.R.P.[/SIZE]

Mountain bikers and downhill bikers expressed an unmet need for sanctioned areas to ride safely without endangering themselves and those using the area for other recreational uses. Horseback riders reported a similar deficiency in areas open to equestrian activities.

[SIZE="5"]2008 S.C.O.R.P.[/SIZE]

3.5.2.7 Mountain Biking
    The previous 2003 SCORP discussed the popularity of mountain biking, which continues to be popular with respondents (27%). Respondents noted that many trails have been closed to mountain bikers, resulting in fewer areas for them to ride. Mountain bikers request more trails for legal mountain biking.

- - - -

[SIZE="5"]2003 S.C.O.R.P.[/SIZE]

3.4.2.2 Need for Additional Recreation Facilities and Resources
    1. Multi-use trails and open land in forest areas for both commercial and private use by hikers, bikers, hunters, horseback riders, and cultural groups.
    2. Mountain bike and/or dirt bike parks.

[SIZE="5"]2008 S.C.O.R.P.[/SIZE]

Recreational needs identified in the comment section of the survey included the following:
    1. Mountain bike trails

http://pbrhawaii-consult.limehouse.com/portal
    http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/
    http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/announcements/

Yes, that's fonetic
    Hmmm, only took 5 years to fully recognize the need. Wanna wager how long it takes to act on it?

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    They've actually KNOWN about the need for 5 years. It took them 5 years to KNOW it again.

Here's an idea: Why don't we hire some people to build Hawaii a world class trail system? That would stimulate the economy by giving some people jobs in the short term - and would pay benefits far into the future in eco-friendly tourist visits.

I have to stop shooting heroin at work. I'm not thinking clearly.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    ^That's just crazy talk. I hope if works for you.

Sign Killa
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai

I have to stop shooting heroin at work. I'm not thinking clearly.
    Well now I fully understand the closed office door and the long sleeve jerseys.
    And I thought you were just busy and protecting your skin.

Thanks for the excerpts. Sad to see my suggestion of rubberized "No Off-road Biking" signs was not noted.

Hisforever
    If someone with real money had any brains they would buy some property here and market a world class riding destination...

instead we get class acts like opra winfree or similar donkeys like that who buys the land and locks it up with their pretty fences and their big city big money spending land hoarding techniques..
    Jesus Saves

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    If someone with real money had any brains they would buy some property here and market a world class riding destination...

instead we get class acts like opra winfree or similar donkeys like that who buys the land and locks it up with their pretty fences and their big city big money spending land hoarding techniques..
    I can't imagine destination mountain biking being a real cash cow. Are there any destination resorts that don't have the rich skiing crowd in the "off" season to bolster the cash flow? I know there are many rich bikers, but not nearly as many as there are skiers. Just look at Big Bear that was willing to pitch it's whole mountain biking program a couple years ago after some liability issues. We'd just have to find the right money man. It'd have to be an uber-rich biking nut who has deeeeeep pockets.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    I can't imagine destination mountain biking being a real cash cow. Are there any destination resorts that don't have the rich skiing crowd in the "off" season to bolster the cash flow? I know there are many rich bikers, but not nearly as many as there are skiers. Just look at Big Bear that was willing to pitch it's whole mountain biking program a couple years ago after some liability issues. We'd just have to find the right money man. It'd have to be an uber-rich biking nut who has deeeeeep pockets.

I have to agree to a point.
    The west side/south side of Kauai has about 320 "good" days of riding. So there really isn't
    an "off" season due to weather.

The "off" season for tourism is only about 30-40% less (I'm being pessimistic here). So you
    still have people.

The mountain bikers living in the northern part of the US and in Japan, would have a great
    incentive to get them to ride there in winter (it's damn cold and rainy/snowy). There is the
    potential for some world class trails. There is terrain, rocks/roots/steep if you can get access
    to it. And, you have nice weather.

So you'd have a pretty good draw for mountain bikers looking for lift access riding in the
    winter, and another activity for a biker to do on a Hawaiian vacation (and great golfing, beaching
    and hiking for the wife).

Then there's the tourists looking for an adventure activity. Last I heard the ATV/Zipline people
    are doing well. So you could get them out on the blue and green runs. There's also a huge
    population of ADD adrenaline junkies that would hop on this in a flash.

I think it would be do'able, I also think that state legislation would be needed to limit liability.
    Maybe labeling biking as a "inherently" dangerous sport like they do in Canada (well BC),
    so that by partaking of this activity you assume liability.

But yea, $$$$, anyone got some?

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

There's already land set aside for public use...

It's called 'public' land...

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    It's called 'public' land...

By Kauai definition "public lands" mean;
    That the public should be grateful they have any land to use, since it should only be used
    for hunting, and building more development on.

Keep fighting the good fight...oh, and cut the damn grass will ya?

Air Pirate
    I was saddened by the lack of trails when I visited my bro-in-law on Oahu last August. We talked about the problem while hiking the trails at Hau'ula. Some of the public lands or "conservation" areas should go after the model presented by the Rotorua area in New Zealand. There they have the conservation concerns, government, and logging companies allowing their tracts of land to be used as world class mountain bike venues. Certainly a study in "how-to-work-together".

Check it: http://www.riderotorua.com/

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Working together is not something the Kauai legislature is good at.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy
    I was saddened by the lack of trails when I visited my bro-in-law on Oahu last August.
    I was privileged to do a little DH in Queenstown this year and I've ridden Whistler and Northstar. The difference I see between these 'great bike spots' and Kauai? These locations have bike friendly cultures. Which is to say, a lot of people ride bikes, and people on bikes are viewed as equal to people in cars. Biking is viewed as a good thing for the society.

Bike lanes lead to bike paths and bike paths lead to single track and single track leads to world class dh.

On Kauai, bikes seem to be a liability not a possibly.

The Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreational Plan is a "plan" only in name. It is a means to get some easy Federal Money. That's all it is... here's our "plan". Can we get that money now? If you read it you'll see that it isn't a plan for anything. It's a "report". There's nothing to implement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I
    The Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreational Plan is a "plan" only in name. It is a means to get some easy Federal Money. That's all it is... here's our "plan". Can we get that money now? If you read it you'll see that it isn't a plan for anything. It's a "report". There's nothing to implement.

This is sooo true. Every five years there will be a plan. A plan to continue the status quo and receive more money. Such is life in this state.