Thread: Royal Summit

mtbr member
    May 2006

Royal Summit

I am coming back home to ride. Forgot how to get to Royal Summit.

Last time I rode in HI was about 10 yrs ago. I remember going up the road adjacent to the golf course, but do I make a left at Komo Mai Dr or do I continue straight to the end of Kaahumanu?

I remember it used to have a gate at the very end of the road and I have to go around the bushes to access the fireroad back there. In some videos I saw this area changed significantly. Is the entry still the same? Can I still park in the neighborhood around the gate?

Also, Aiea loop used to be my training ground. Is there anything that I should know about since the early 2000s regarding trail condition and route?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's the correct road and just keep going up Ka'ahele to the end. If you do park up at the top please be considerate of the people that live there. Try not to make too much noise. Best bet is to park at the field with the restrooms(at the 4 way stop).

Aiea loop is now closed to mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kauia View Post

This is the "thanks" mountain bikers get for all the hard work they did hefting buckets of gravel to help stabilize the trail circa Y2K and the two benches found along the loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kauia View Post
    That's the correct road and just keep going up Ka'ahele to the end. If you do park up at the top please be considerate of the people that live there. Try not to make too much noise. Best bet is to park at the field with the restrooms(at the 4 way stop).

And @ the entrance to the trail there is a house on the right which has gravel landscaping along the sidewalk. Please don't ride thru his gravel to enter the trail. I was told the guy doesn't like when he has to fix the mess the bikers make.

We need to be respectful of the people who live there or else they will complain and we will have another trail which gets closed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner View Post
    And @ the entrance to the trail there is a house on the right which has gravel landscaping along the sidewalk. Please don't ride thru his gravel to enter the trail. I was told the guy doesn't like when he has to fix the mess the bikers make.

We need to be respectful of the people who live there or else they will complain and we will have another trail which gets closed.
    This situation has been rectified; ride toward the (chain-link) gate, turn right and ride parallel to the fence. The "California grass" has been cut and the "line" is pretty defined now - as long as everyone continues this practice, the "old" route should become obsolete and forgotten over time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anyone loose a red knob with an allen on the back at summit i have it 4062706392

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anyone loose a red knob with an allen on the back at summit i have it 4062706392 have to post 5 times to make thread sorry

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anyone loose a red knob with an allen on the back at summit i have it 4062706392 have to post 5 times to make thread sorry 25

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anyone loose a red knob with an allen on the back at summit i have it 4062706392 have to post 5 times to make thread sorry 345

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    anyone loose a red knob with an allen on the back at summit i have it 4062706392 have to post 5 times to make thread sorry wetwert