mtbr member

Riding Oahu in the 90's

I was just browsing through these threads and starting reminiscing about my time living on Oahu as it it was where I learned and learned to love mountain biking. While in the Army I was stationed at Schofield Barracks from '93-'96. I bought a Trek 7000 at the shop on post and a friend of mine and I would ride every day after work if we had the chance. There was actually a fair amount of single track to be ridden on post. On weekends it was all about the Mililani Cemetery trails. At least that was what we called them. This was where I really learned how to ride technical single track. It has been a long time since I've been there and maybe it was because I was such a newbie to the sport but I remember those trails just being friggin' awesome. There was some good single track by Wheeler Air Field too if I remember. There were a lot of horses there but it was fun none the less. The Kuhuku's offered endless climbing and descending (and mud), the trail around the point at Dillingham. I don't know how much of this still exists to be ridden but man was it fun. By time I left I had a decked Fat Chance Yo Eddy and head full of memories of endless climbs and axle deep mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Those of us still riding Oahu ride in the 90's... figure the "heat-index" of 83-degrees with 75% humidity is about average.

Mililani: it's nothing like it was back then; fewer dirt-bikes mean a lot of trails have gone back to the jungle. A few of us have been doing some cutting to keep a few loops open....

Wheeler: jeep-roads, yes; trails, hmm, not really.

Kahuku: renewed interest in the spot after recent race (02.04.12); downside is pay-to-play now.

Kaena Pt: Dillingham Airfield to Yokohama Bay and back; nah, too hot, too flat and too many kiawe-thorns. Ride from the airfield to the coconut-tree farm, up to Peacock Flats, along the top through Kuaokala, then drop in the 19-switchbacks of Kealia Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I still remember riding tantalus in makiki and training at all the secret trails up in Aiea loop after school.

People i useed to look up to as a kid : john mathias of hbl, dorian of hbl, noah costello, ray burst, garuda mccarthy of kona bikes...are they still riding?

Also curious if there are still xc races minus those endurance ones? Our sport evolved so much that it seems everyone racing in hawaii are doing dh or marathon

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I loved riding back then and I had a friend Kui, we would meet many saturday mornings and head over to Dillingham AF, then do the loop over Peacock Flats. Up the long paved road, up and down the 4x4 trails and then down the single track. Seems the single track use to be much easier to navigate, I seem to be walking sections of it now, damn bones take months instead of weeks to heal after 40, and I have eaten it a few times.

Its a good life isnt it...out here in the middle of the Pacific

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I lived at Sunset Point for 31 years.
    Started riding in 1991.
    Have ridden Kahuku Motocross track with 2 different groups since .
    You can ride every day if you want.
    Friends have built 22 miles of trails in Sunset Hills and all are welcome and its been made legal.
    I now am remarried and live in town and a bit out of my old loop.

Lots of fun riding to be done at both places.

:-)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've lived out here almost 2 years already and have yet to ride anything other than Ka'ena Point yet. It seems like anytime I get some free time I am out sailing. I really need to dust off the old Trek Fuel and get out there and see what's available. I did a short ride today (11 miles) around the neighborhood showing my neighbor how to geocache and kept wondering why I don't ride anymore. It's so much fun I had to jump on here to see if I could locate some trails.
    Looks like I'm gonna hit Sunset trails tomorrow if I can find them.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    uh...if you lived in SoCal you would understand the importance of having a blingy bike - seriously, it matters

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by griffinsurfboard View Post
    awesome map, thanks. I grew up at Rocky Point, first ever mtb experience was up at Kahuku. In Oregon now, some mental trails here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    are those trails existing or proposed? because it sounds like some kind of management plan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are 22 miles of built trails and its growing .
    Last edited by griffinsurfboard; 02-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders

DownHill Hawaii

there are no facebook pages for hawaii riding

Canuck on this Rock
    there are no facebook pages for hawaii riding[/QUOTE]