Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding on Oahu

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Riding on Oahu

Well I just moved back to Oahu from San Diego. I'm currently saving up for a Kona Unit, almost there, and it has Maxxis Ikon tires. I'm not familiar with them as I have been running SB8s and occasionally a Nev up front on my stumpy HT. The guys at The Bike Shop recommended the Spec Ground Controls.

So what do others use and recommend?

Thanks

Andy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am surprise you run SM8 at all for anything other than the months in the summer. One ride at Manawili or Miliani and you will want to throw them out.

But since you are on single speed, it might be ok.

Ground control worked pretty well for me. Nev. as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well I have been avoiding going out to most trails until I got new tires. Which I did! I got a S-works 2.3 Ground control up front and a 2.1 Ground Control in the rear set up tubeless. So now I'm ready to go out and tackle some trails!

The SB8's ran great in SD. I wasn't a fan of the Nev up front. The SB8s were fast and had great grip. They did great at Kaena Point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post

The SB8's ran great in SD. I wasn't a fan of the Nev up front. The SB8s were fast and had great grip. They did great at Kaena Point.
    But I bet you didn't see much of this at Kaena Point.

I love Nevs on the front.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hell NO! That's why I wanted new tires. I remember that from my first tour here. I stuck with what I could ride using what I currently had. Now I' ready for the punishment to commence!

What trail is that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    UH bike trail in Hilo (Big Island).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice I'd love to get over to the big island to ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    Nice I'd love to get over to the big island to ride!
    If you ever make it here, let us know. We'll take you around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    If you ever make it here, let us know. We'll take you around.
    Will do, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey, I'm new to mountain bikes so forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm about to purchase a Sant Cruz heckler that comes with maxis high roller 2.35 wire(says the website), will that be a good enough tire for the trails around here? Or should I look to change them out when I get the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Honestly I haven't heard too many bad things about those tires. Your best best to get out and ride to find out. They have enough tread and grip for most anything out here. I have not personally used them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bumgilligan View Post
    ...heckler that comes with maxis high roller 2.35 wire(says the website), will that be a good enough tire for the trails around here?
    ...High Roller (F) and Crossmark (R) has been a pretty good recipe for predictability, traction, and rolling-resistance/pedalling-efficicency in all but the wettest conditions. Then again, when the rocks and roots are snot-slick, no tread design is going to save you anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    since the title seems appropriate for Oahu stuff, might as well recycle the thread.

anyway, i have a question. is there any trail on Oahu that can be ridden despite the rain? don't want to damage trails when it's too wet but times like this long week of rain and i'm itching to ride... i kinda gave up riding on the street because i'm almost guaranteed punctures. the streets are littered with nails, broken glass etc. sad coz, on the other hand, i've never had flats on the trails. no budget for a tubeless setup yet and i'm thinking of saving up for a FS bike. slime tube and liners would make my bike heavier than it already is

oh and the heckler is also my dream bike :P

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ride Karna point on northshore. Not much damage can be done if any.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    hmm that is true. i'll go there for rainy weekends. how about the Old Pali Road trail?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Road is always ok, but dont do the dirt. Is always windy up there so it dries. But if u r going to do that, why not just ride up peakcock flats or do the fireroad by wheeler airforce base and the tunnel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i was thinking Old Pali for short rides on weekdays after work plus it's closer

Ninja
    Alright guys, don't flame me, but figuring the thread says riding Oahu, I have a couple questions. Going to be there in December for two weeks, and I am bringing my bike. I'm staying over in Kapolei, I hope I spelt that right, at Disney Aulani resort, I know its like the very southwest corner of the island. So what I'm trying to do is help the misses plan out the family excursions, and she was asking how many days do I plan on full day rides. So, here is the questions, where and how many trails would be worth a full day effort. Also, are their "clubs" or guys to meet up with for some riding. DH and all mountain is the type of riding I like to do. I know its still pretty far out there for date, but before I know it, it will be Thanksgiving.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Ride Karna point on northshore. Not much damage can be done if any.
    ...sorry to disagree but Kaena Point (and "Alan Davis"), during inclement-weather, has gritty/sandy mud that grinds mechs and scratches paint/clearcoat. A meticulous post-ride wash-down and relubing is protocol. Combine this fact with all the kiawe-thorns you'll be pulling from your tires and it's simply not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    i was thinking Old Pali for short rides on weekdays after work plus it's closer
    Old Pali (Nu'uanu) would be kind of boring; Old Pali (windward) would be a good climb but the moss would make for a sketchy descent. That'd mean riding back down the (current) Pali or tempting fate on Maunawili Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    how many days do I plan on full day rides... where and how many trails would be worth a full day effort. Also, are their "clubs" or guys to meet up with for some riding. DH and all mountain is the type of riding I like to do.
    December can be hit-or-miss weather-wise; el-nino/la-nina factors hugely here. A full day translates to maybe a total commute time of 2 1/2 hrs, 3 hrs actually riding, +/- 1 hr B.S.-time on the trails and maybe having some suds post-ride (time varies here) for a total of about 8 hrs.

Sunset Hills - easily 20+ miles of loops; some steeps and nice downhill-sections; maintained and buffed-out; guide suggested.
    Mililani - 25-30 miles of dirt-bike trails and jeep-roads; technical in "valleys"; good DH-sections but must pay dues; guide required.
    Maunawili - 10.5 miles one way; tech river-bed crossings; sketch cliff-sections; nice vistas; route is pretty self-explanatory
    Cambodia to Kahuku moto-x - ~25 miles total; roller-coaster up & downs; Cambodia is pretty technical; ride to Kahuku moto-x for additional miles of dirt-bike trails

That covers the "AM/enduro" stuff.

St Louis - lots of different routes down the hill; shuttle-happy DHer's can probably fit 5-6 runs before fore-arm cramps set in
    Kuliou'ou Ridge - 2 miles steep uphill to the bench = 2 miles of technical DH back to the start
    Peacock to Kealia - starts with 4 mile steep paved climb; add rolling jeep-road "across-the-ridge" to 19 technical switchbacks down Kealia (this probably quals as more AM but Kealia is so gnarly it fits the DH-category)

Ninja
    Emptybe_er, I from the Midwest, la nino, el Nino doesn't matter to much to me, unless its monsooning! I like riding in 40 degree weather, don't sweat as much! Okay now heres is the real question, how much beer is it going to cost me for your expertise in guidance amoungst the multitude of trail selection. I also need someone who knows the island and has a car.

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Emptybe_er, , la nino, el Nino doesn't matter to much to me
    ohhhh...it will if you want to ride on O'ahu. I think a lot of riders put their bikes away during the wet season as the dirt out here tends to either turn to thick sticky mud or hard packed, slick clay.

Good luck with the trip.

Ninja
    Oni, your squashing my epic dream of riding Hawaii!!!!!! Is christmas time the wet season?

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

rain rain go away!

Oni, your squashing my epic dream of riding Hawaii!!!!!! Is christmas time the wet season?
    Sorry, just call me dream killer.

Can be. Can be extremely wet to dry, really depends on the season, hence the el nino/la nina comment earlier. I ended up hiking more this winter then riding, because it always seemed to work out that when I wanted to ride, it had been raining. We've had some nasty weather around Christmas/new years many times in the past.

Where you're staying is on the dry part of the island. Off the top of my head, not a lot of riding out there. Could be wrong, not my 'hood so...Some crazy good hikes though. So long as you don't mind exposure.

Many of the rides are in the mountains, which also tend to be the wettest part of the island. Rain clouds rise against the mountains, then dump rain or something weather sounded like that.

Keep us in mind, drop a line when you get closer to coming out and we'll see what's ridable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ride-fees are expensive in the "Urban 808"; present-circumstances dictate a 6 of Newcastle, a 6 of Guinness Extra Stout, a 6 of Oni's fav and 6 of whatever your flavor might fancy for starters.

A list of spots have been provided. If you ride in 40-degree weather, you should be fine in 75*/70% humidity conditions - obviously, my "expertise" has little credibility here....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oni is right about the wet conditions. The mud is either so thick it will stop your wheel from turning or so slick it's like someone poured oil on the trail.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast