Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding on Oahu

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey emptybe_er-

Wanted to thank you for the excellent suggestion of Pupukea. Had a great time out there last week. Especially the Partyline and B tree area. Also did the old Pali highway, Peacock Flats 22 mile ride, and the Wiliwilinui starting from Waikiki. That last one was rough. All in all great rides, nice conditions, and I found Red Hook ESB on tap at the Tsunami bar on Kuhio. Great trip, thanks for the local knowledge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...always good to hear someone had a great-time! Lot's of "crews" deserve applause for the fun you had - right-down to the "crew" that brought you your E.S.B.
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey dudes... going to Oahu Oct 16-22 with the wife to celebrate our anniversary, but I've been given a day to go ride (she'll hit the spa). Planning to rent a bike from The Bike Shop and will be staying in Waikiki.

I've done as much research as I can and need some help choosing a trail. Closest seems to be Wiliwilinui but it seems you all hate that trail. I've looked on Strava but I'm seeing mostly road rides in the hills. For reference, I live in LA and am pretty used to climbing. It's not unusual for me to do climbs between 2-3000 feet. That said, I'll only have one day and I don't want to show up at the hotel with a broken collarbone, so I'm hoping you guys can direct me to a train that'll be fun but not stupid to ride on my own. Or, if it makes more sense, suggest a riding guide or partner as I'd be happy to do that route as well.

Thanks so much!

For reference, this is my usual haunt:

Sullivan Ridge - First DH Trail - YouTube

mtbr member
    This is the last stretch to Wiliwilinui trailhead--approximately 1200'+ of climbing in about 2.7mi. Its much steeper than it looks. Highly recommended, maybe not for lenghthy pristine trail conditions, but for the overall ride. Last pic is of Demonstration trail.

Cobbles by pigmode, on Flickr

DH_Wiliwilinui by pigmode, on Flickr

laukahi1-8-13b by pigmode, on Flickr

4-16-12MaunawiliTrail by pigmode, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nostayhome View Post
    Loll
    Are there any trail maps of sunset hills besides whats on mtb Hawaii? I've ridden there twice but the mtb Hawaii map doesn't seem accurate.
    Haha, sorry about that. 4 years ago when I gps'ed Sunset Hills out it was accurate. So many new trails since then. Even with a more current map I'd recommend a guide the first couple of times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahikua View Post
    Haha, sorry about that. 4 years ago when I gps'ed Sunset Hills out it was accurate. So many new trails since then. Even with a more current map I'd recommend a guide the first couple of times.
    No worries and thank you for taking the time to actually map the trails. I've ridden there a couple more times and can now find my way around (knock on wood)! lol

Ninja
    Okay booooyyyssss, like I said Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I am getting pretty stoked about coming to play on your guys rock.

Here some dates I'm throwing out there to try to get a ride together. December 21st and 28th, I know they're like forever away for planning, but I don't want to hear any excuses about "ah, bra, should've let me know sooner bs"! As the dates get closer, I will post for confirmation. The laugers and ales will be on me, not literally, I hope?!

Like I said back in April, staying in Kaploei, so I'm probably going to need a ride to the promise land of broken bones and lifetime memories. Bringing out my Giant Reign for some fun in the sun hopefully.

Anybody heard on weather as far la nina or elnino for December? Just wondering if I'm going to be a prune my entire time there riding with rain.
    The plan is to out live everyone!

Yes, that's fonetic
    They're not expecting either, but are you really asking for a weather forecast 2 1/2 months in advance? Your weathermen must be better than ours. Here's what you'll probably get the day before your ride..."partly cloudy with windward and mauka showers".

Ninja
    Whodaphuck, our weathermen are definitely not better than yours! My question wasn't about daily weather, hell man, your in Hawaii, its like Florida, rains everyday somewhere there. What I asking about was the la nina and el nino in the pacific. Like here in Chicago, the never right weathermen say that a la nina pacific will bring us colder and snowier winters, and back in my April post, emty be_r mentioned about la nino and el nino and about how much rain you get in December.

Also, maybe its only done here in the snow belt, the weathermen have started talking about which way the pacific ocean is starting to go. I was just asking if any of you guys heard anything by chance.

~~~~~~~~
    Weather forecasters here look at the position of the jet stream, I think that's what your weather people are referring to. This is what they read before they go on air Area Forecast Discussion for Hawaii

The one good thing we have here is the trade wind blow drier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Snot-slick wet-roots...
    a) suck
    b) bring a new-perspective to the trail
    c) both 'a' & 'b'
    d) none-of-the-above
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The closest trail to you is actually st louis height. It used to be a downhill race course. On weekdays i used to train on the upper loop reverse direction for xc.

About 5 miles away from waikiki. Immediately next to university of hawaii manoa campus.

mtbr member
    any trails / anyone ride near Kaneohe? I'll be there for 12 days starting Jan 4th.

No MTB, just a scooter, so looking to rent. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Maunawili off famous Pali look out. 12 miles of roots and mud mostly singletrack. Or Maunawili ditch trail for something mellower

Kualoa ranch is private but has trails too. Call

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    any trails / anyone ride near Kaneohe? I'll be there for 12 days starting Jan 4th. No MTB, just a scooter, so looking to rent. Any suggestions?
    I'd say try hooking up with guys at the Kailua Bike Shop. The Castle Junction loop is pretty killer. You park at the Castle Junction fountain park, do a short road ride toward Waimanalo and turn onto Old Kalanialaole Hwy then duck into trails there. Get onto Mauanawili Ditch trail and up the Government Road double track. Don't take the singletrack to Pali Demonstration trail and instead go through the gate that eventually brings you out on the golf course road. Then a short road ride back to the cars. You'll need a guide. Weather thing, it looks like this year is shaping up to a more normal rain wetness pattern, its been pretty dry previously. Last night we had heavy rains island wide that looks like it may put a damper on our Veteran Day ride. Don't know if it'll dry out in time. Trails you can do in the rain, I don't advocate it, now that I'm older now we tend to not ride in rain. That said, I did do a heavy rain ride a few weeks ago starting in Waimanalo and onto the Pali Demonstration trail. It was surprisingly rideable for as far as we went, but it was ill advised and we wisely cut it short. With flash flood warnings up, not a good place to be. Another trail that I've done in pouring rain that was still rideable was Kuliouou. I can tell you where NOT to ride in the rain. Kaena point is one of them. Clay mud with sand, can you say concrete? It'll pack into everything to the point that your wheels will not turn. Maunawili Ditch is also high in the red dirt clay mud and will likewise pack. No sand so you won't get quite as bad abrasion. But youll get horse/dog poop. Anywhere with the red dirt clay will pack in the rain, which is a high percentage of the trails here. For good places to ride in good weather, after hearing about it for months, we finally got to Sunset Hills/Paumalu. Awesome cross country riding, prob the best on Oahu, closest thing to a bike park here. A big network of criss crossing trails, I would recommend finding a guide to show you the best ways around. We didn't and just worked off the map people have created. Didn't get hopelessly lost, but we ended up going up trails that we're clearly designed to go down. We do St. Louis/Waahila Ridge a lot because its close to town. Fun downhill, lower section is very rocky pinchflat territory though.

Ninja
    I'm down to just days before landing on the rock.

Looking for a posse to show me the ropes of Oahu!

Bringing the bike in today for a tune up, slapping some new Neves on and bringing a desire to see the side of the island only a few are fortunate to know.

Landing Dec 18th and leaving the 30th. I have 2 days to play with locals.

Emptybe_er, Oni, Loll, and whoever wants ride, first round(s) on me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    read your post with great interest....we are planning a family vacation on Oahu Dec/Jan of 2014-2015. I know it's a long time from now but I need to ride daily if possible. Looking at houses on the northside of the island but after reading one of the repllies to your post, it sounds like it's gonna be very wet...is that true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Read your post this morning...you might be the right person to direct this question to:

Planning a family vacation to Hawaii next December 2014/January 2016. We've been going to Maui. I would go riding with my son while others surfed. I'm looking for riding and where to rent a house that would be close to riding (30 minutes or less) and the beach. We would go anywhere in Hawaii although we're looking at Oahu (never been there) and read a little about riding there. Can anyone help me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cakewalk907 View Post
    Read your post this morning...you might be the right person to direct this question to:

Planning a family vacation to Hawaii next December 2014/January 2016. We've been going to Maui. I would go riding with my son while others surfed. I'm looking for riding and where to rent a house that would be close to riding (30 minutes or less) and the beach. We would go anywhere in Hawaii although we're looking at Oahu (never been there) and read a little about riding there. Can anyone help me?
    My thoughts would be to look for a vacation rental in Kailua. Kailua beach is rated highly. The maunawili trails are close by. Other trails are farther drive, but you'll be mostly going opposite way of the heavy commuter traffic.
    You could look for something out north shore/haliewa but if you want too do something in town it's a bit of a drive. Lots of good riding, famous for surf of course.
    Winter is typically the rainy season, but it's hard to call. Depends how rainy it's been previous days it can dry out nicely within a day or so, depending on location also. Always expect to find some mud, that's why hawaii is so green!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thank you so much for your response. What can you tell me about the maunawili trails? As far as doing something in "town", we are not that interested in the city...country bumpkins from Alaska :-) so that shouldn't be a criteria....with that out of the equation, isn't Oahu like the other Hawaiian Islands...one side is wet and the other is dry? we want dry

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes, because of the prevailing winds, the north/east side of the islands tend to be the wet, and west/south sides the dry sides of the islands. Most of the trails are in the mountains so that doesn't factor in quite as much, the mountains will see rain regardless of which side of island its on.
    The first trail most riders think of when they say Maunawili is the Ditch Trail. Its a short realtively level trail, wide and smooth. Appropriate for beginner riders. It starts in the Waimanalo area. There is also the Maunawili Demonstration strail, a different beast altogether. Narrow trail that contours along the side of the steep mountainside. Often wet, technical, and long. It starts in the same spot as the ditch trail and ends up at the Pali, actually easier to do it starting from the lookout side since its a net elevation loss. You can also do the trail that comes out on the golf course road. That one is pretty nice. If wet it will be slippery, but the trail is not along the side of the mountain so not as frightening with the treat of tumbling down the Cliffside.
    North shore's got great riding. The newest is the Pupukea/Sunset Hills network. XC dream, for the most part smooth and non technical. The older Pupukea Trail is more old school Oahu riding, narrow, technical, rooty. Kahuku motocross park I used to go to a long time ago. AFAIK there is no map for there though. Its actually possible to connect Pupukea to Kahuku, and even to Waimea Bay to Helemano Plantation, but I would not advise it unless your with someone who really knows the area, which I do not. And I think some of it is not legal as it probably crosses private land. God that brings back memories of my youth doing that death march in the days before Camel Baks and the only energy bars were PowerBars.
    Thinking about it, you might like the Haleiwa area. Be advised that winter is the surf season up there, which means more people, and the level of surf can be dangerous pro level stuff. We just had a swell this weekend, big.
    It's actually not a huge drive from Haliewa to Mokulea area which gets you to the north side of the Waianae mountains. Kaena point is the shoreline ridng area for beginners, not my favorite ride, but scenic. But behind Dllingham airfield theres is Kealea Trail. Techincal, rocky, switchback trail up the face. Peacock Flats is up there also but you need to ride up. If you take the paved way up, a climb of 3000ft in 5 miles. Pretty steep! Used to be able to get a permit to drive up the road from the other side up the military access road. Not sure what the status is now with increased security.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Personally I think you can't beat the North Shore if you want to ride everyday and have beaches close by. Within 10 minutes of Sunset Beach you've got both loops in Hauula, Laie Trails, Kahuku Moto, Sunset Hills, and Cambodia. 25 minutes and you've got the Peacock Flats epic loop. Most of these trails are a 1-5 minute bike ride from the beach. Sunset Beach, Pipline and Waimea Bay are all right there within 5 minutes of each other for your family.

Maunawili is a great trail but it's nasty when wet. Sunset Hills is much bigger, more variety and can be ridden in the pouring rain. I live on the North Shore and ride all through the winter. Is it wet? Sure but it's not any worse than Kailua. With Hawaii you can't try to predict the weather, you just gotta commit and realize it might be raining, it might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by cakewalk907 View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks so much...I think we're gonna look in the Haleiwa area

Ninja
    Flying in Wenesday, where we be a good place to go Thursday morning? Staying down in Kapolei, at Mickey's House. Just looking to stretch the legs and find some dirt to play in for an hour or two.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flakes View Post
    Flying in Wenesday, where we be a good place to go Thursday morning? Staying down in Kapolei, at Mickey's House. Just looking to stretch the legs and find some dirt to play in for an hour or two.
    Makakilo downhill race course...havent been there before. Google it up man

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast