Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding on Oahu

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er View Post
    obviously, my "expertise" has little credibility here....
    Sorry emptybe_er, didn't mean to question your expertise. You've been doing this a long time where I've only recently started riding again and can't really speak to any rides other than how crappy pedaling up St. Louis is.

Oni

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you don't mind riding in the rain there are plenty of trails to ride all year round, and emptybe_er knows them all. He doesn't put his bike away in the winter time. As long as you can keep him hydrated with the list of beverages he mentioned above, you couldn't find a better all mountain guide on O'ahu. Unless of course you don't like short, smelly obnoxious people, then you're out of luck...

Ninja
    Ride-fees are expensive in the "Urban 808"; present-circumstances dictate a 6 of Newcastle, a 6 of Guinness Extra Stout, a 6 of Oni's fav and 6 of whatever your flavor might fancy for starters.

A list of spots have been provided. If you ride in 40-degree weather, you should be fine in 75*/70% humidity conditions - obviously, my "expertise" has little credibility here....
    Is this a per ride fee or will that get me a couple of tours? Are all these beverage available on the island or do need to have a special shipment flown in?
    The plan is to out live everyone!

Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahikua View Post
    If you don't mind riding in the rain there are plenty of trails to ride all year round, and emptybe_er knows them all. He doesn't put his bike away in the winter time. As long as you can keep him hydrated with the list of beverages he mentioned above, you couldn't find a better all mountain guide on O'ahu. Unless of course you don't like short, smelly obnoxious people, then you're out of luck...
    Obnoxious and smelly, I will fit right in, short not sure about, unless 6' is considered short?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...um, yeah, okay....

Oni - read between the lines, man. Your choice of brew is listed after the "Extra Stouts" and "Newcastles".

Pahi - take it easy Shawn Bradley (google that, F***er!); no more Mountain Dew for you!

F-Flakes - lots of riding on this rock; take a peek at mtbhawaii(dot)com for a nice preview of trails; employ yourself chipping slate coated with KY-jelly with a jack-hammer in a sauna for a few hours per day and you'll be set come late autumn when you visit.

Finally, remember, "...my 'expertise' has little credibility here."

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    ...um, yeah, okay....

Oni - read between the lines, man. Your choice of brew is listed after the "Extra Stouts" and "Newcastles".
    My interneting consists of when I can squeeze in me time after being Dad, so let's just say reading comprehension levels are low!

Oni

crd
    ride like a girl
    Is this an open invite?

My daughter and I are headed there early second week of June. We'd love to get on mountain bikes for a day!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    anyone going out for a ride this coming Saturday or Sunday? hit me up if there's an open invite for newbs. thanks!

Ninja
    Don't forget, their is a toll charge for local guidance! Thinking of ya emptybe_er!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Bontrager??

Hey all,

I am a displaced Washintonian, but I will be moving your way in October and I am so stocked about the new trails. Currently I am stationed in Oklahoma and from what I can tell the riding out in Oahu is a little different. I called the Trek Dealer and confirmed that the FR4 Bontrager tires I have are going to do nothing but soak up the mud. Any of you use Bontrager Tires, I have a remedy and I am thinking about running a xr3 front 2.35 with a Xr2 rear in a 2.2 any thoughts? At first I will be ridding near pearl harbor area, and then I will stretch out from there.

I dont mind paying the beer toll to show me the local trails, and I am a big Guinness guy, but Rouge and Red Hook are my go to beers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by castle878 View Post
    Hey all,

I am a displaced Washintonian, but I will be moving your way in October and I am so stocked about the new trails. At first I will be ridding near pearl harbor area, and then I will stretch out from there.

I dont mind paying the beer toll to show me the local trails, and I am a big Guinness guy, but Rouge and Red Hook are my go to beers.
    Displaced Washingtonian,

Moving our way won't necessarily leave you 'stocked' with a lot of new-trails. Ridding is 'limited' beyond the bounds of Pearl Harbor; especially since most of us are "small Guinness-guys" then again, some of us are stoked that you're a fan of Rogue & Red-Hook - damn-good Pacific NW brews....

Ch-cheers!
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've been looking at a map of mtb Hawaii and it looks like pupukea might be the most fun. I'm fairly used to driving an hour plus to ride out here in Oklahoma, but the traffic is going to be an adjustment. I can see what your saying about there not being much on the Pearl Harbor part of the island. I did Durango Colorado this year and Moab Utah last year. So your right this will be a change. What island do you find has the best ridding?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Displaced Washingtonian,

For most mainlander coming to ride Hawaii, Pupukea (Peacock Flat) is actually about as "mainland" trail like as you can get, with wide fireroad climbs, sandy and dry single tracks and double tracks. Most other places are infested with wet roots and mud, not to mention narrow trails that drops thousand feet straight down.

Assuming you are with the military, hence Pearl Harbor, you should try some of the trails near where you are. Royal Summit is filled with jumps and mellower slopes.

Until you get your root riding skills up to par, you can also try some of the easier trails at Mililani (somewhat close to where you live), and Kahuku motocross track. There are also some mainland~ish trails near wheeler airforce base.

Empty Beer is a good guide for sure. Sometimes I am surprised to see him actively in the CA board and also in the HI board. Lucky guy... There are a few downhill and jump spots if you are into those things. They might not necessary be listed on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Loll
    Are there any trail maps of sunset hills besides whats on mtb Hawaii? I've ridden there twice but the mtb Hawaii map doesn't seem accurate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the advice. So as you pointed out roots are going to be a new experience for me. Besides getting use to them are there any good tricks for ridding over them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by castle878 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So as you pointed out roots are going to be a new experience for me. Besides getting use to them are there any good tricks for ridding over them.
    Back then when Aiea Loop was still open to bikes, I would practice trialsin with a bmx there at the trail entrance. So, trialsin skills help.

Otherwise, keep up your speed, and sometimes the line right next to the ledge is actually the line that is ridable. Also, I used to ride it with the granny gear and spin til I pass out hoping to clear as many roots as possible. But I was just starting out back then and that might not have been the best technique if you have leg power. Knowing track stand really helps.

Oh, another trail closed to you is Maņana up at Pearl City Pacific Palisade. Very ridable from where you are at. Long climb on the road to the trail head though.

Trails are not only rooty and wet, but also very narrow with straight down plunges. Be careful. My buddy felt close to a 100 foot down. Good thing there is alway thick brushes to cling on to.

You will see this on part of Maņana trail.

Nostayhome, when you say Sunset hills, do you mean Makakilo? Sorry man, no help if that is what you are referring to. i moved away from HI before that place got popular. Pretty sure Empty Beer knows it though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Attitude has a lot to do with clearing root-sections. Look at the section with your chin up, shoulders squared and stay focused on where you intend to go. Remember that momentum is your friend, keep your weight slightly biased toward the rear while staying 'loose' on the bike.

The same 'rules' apply in wet-conditions. In addition to the above, stay light on the front-brake (if you have to use it) and try to approach roots at a 90-degree angle.

*Sunset Hills and Makakilo are totally different - various routes (of S.H.) can be seen on Strava but optimum direction(s) are hard to figure out; just gotta ride it, man!

*"Empty Beer" and "emptybe_er" are two different people with similar mentalities.

mtbr member
    *Sunset Hills and Makakilo are totally different - various routes (of S.H.) can be seen on Strava but optimum direction(s) are hard to figure out; just gotta ride it, man!

*"Empty Beer" and "emptybe_er" are two different people with similar mentalities.
    Thanks man. I kind of ditched the mtb Hawaii map when I was lost in the lilikoi grove. Maybe next time I'll take a friend since it's always better to be lost with a partner. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey emptybe_er,

You seem to be the man with the local knowledge, and a serious thirst. I'll be on island early in Aug, bringing the Yeti, and need some advice. I'll have 3-4 days available to ride and really want to make the most of it. I've ridden the motor cross area on the noshore several years ago (rode up from Foodland to the end of the road, hopped the gate and kept going, ended up god only knows where. Great ride). Anyway, I've got respectable skills and don't mind a challenge. Love to climb. Them roots ain't my favorite, but there definitely something different than here in Colorado. What do you suggest? And where can a guy get a Red Hook ESB afterward?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Early August is typically warm & humid (88-degrees/60%-humidity). Leave your yeti at home; he/she won't enjoy this type of weather no matter how much Red Hook is available. For riding, try Pupukea-Paumalu which is near the moto-x area you fondly remember. That is my suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Funny. Sounds like I'm headed back to the north shore. I'll be on that ride first thing the morning of the 8th.

More more question. I'll probably put some new treads on before leaving Colorado. Obviously way different terrain. What tire do you guys find works well for your conditions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've only been on "that ride" the eighth-thing on the afternoon of the 1st so I might not be the best counsel regarding the matter. "Conditions" and "terrain" shouldn't differ much [between CO & HI (on the 1st or 8th of August] assuming the discussion is about dirt, roots, rocks, etc. Tires made of rubber and inflated to about 2.5-bars with a decent knobby-tread pattern shoud suffice. Worry more about hydration...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good call on the hydration. Thanks. I'll just go with the Nevegal, I suppose.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbond3 View Post
    Would it be better to rent a motorcycle in Oahu than a car?
    If you're coming to Oahu on vacation, a car; to commit suicide, a motorcycle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast