mtbr member
    Mar 2008

riding on Haleakala

Going to Maui for the Xterra Worlds this year . First time. Don't know what to expect other than brutal course and conditions. As far as the MTB portion of the race goes, which is on Haleakala, can anyone give me any info on the terrain, and recommendations as to tire selection. I usually run Kenda Karma, but suspect I may need a tire with better puncture protection to protect against the sharp lava rocks? Any info on likely temps and humidity (to figure out if a hydration pack will be necessary) would also be much appreciated. Thanks.

Canuck on this Rock

Xterra

Never been there, however you may be able to send an email to a group on Oahu called 'Boca'. They do triathlon training and I know some do the XTERRA over there. There will be an XC event on Oahu the weekend before, so you can jump on the ferry, race the XC and head back to Maui afterwards if you want some more saddle time.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the info! I wish I could be there the weekend before to do that race but, alas, I'll be getting in just a day or so before. So much for acclimatization . . .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I run Kenda tires and they're great. You should worry more about flats from the thorns. I'd run tubeless tires if you could. Lots of Stan's sealant inside. If the lava grabs your tire, it'll put a hole in the tire and the tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks Man!!

mtbr member
    The lava rocks can be pretty sharp and I saw a number of people w/sliced sidewalls last year. I recommend tubeless tires w/reinforced sidewalls along with Stans for the thorns. I used Crossmarks last year and had no problems so I'll do the same this year. Unless the small drop in time you'd get from very lightweight tires is going to put you on the podium, the risk of a mechanical isn't worth it IMO.
    The course is hot and can be humid. I use a small camelback. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    sounds like good advice - thanks a lot for the reply!!