~~~~~~~~

Poli Poli closed due to weather

looks like Maui's Kula Forest Reserve aka Poli Poli is going to be closed, possibly for the rest of the month of January, due to the weather. Trees are blowing down, flooding etc. Bummer as it's our winter refuge trail system.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bummers, for such a rugged area its certainly does seem to be very delicate. I remember crusing thru there a few years ago after some good rains, and there were fallen trees all over the place. Didnt they have a weekend of volunteers replacing native species or something like that?

Thanks for the update!

~~~~~~~~
    reports are that the trails are getting cleared but the road may not reopen for a while. Dropping in from the summit should be okay but coming up from the bottom will require a long pedal up the paved road.

This seems to be more residual effects of the fire several years ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Aye, thanks for update. We've been planning a trip for months for the first week of March, and this was my top activity choice amid of sea of likely tourist traps choisen by my travelling companions. With the DLNR and Na Ala Hele reports below I changed gears (to the granny gear) and started making plans for a hike instead.

http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/chair/pio/nr/...0-199.pdf/view

http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/trai...04&island=Maui

The "DLNR personnel have posted closure signs at the white access gate and the Skyline Trailhead" part of the notice had me nervous, and when I called to cancel our bike rentals yesterday, the employee said that he thought the Skyline and Mamane trails were passable, and the issue was with the road and car traffic as you mentioned.

This was the ride I was planning:
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=78204

OK, actually I'm only half the man as the guy that completed that trip, and was planning on shuttling from the Summit to Rice Park, but any updated information on Skyline, Mamane, and Waipoli Road accessability would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

~~~~~~~~
    now they are saying closed until June, but the debris has been cleared. Road needs to be repaired.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    they need to speed things up!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Thursday night recon ride tonight. Will post updates when I hear.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by wcrrick
    they need to speed things up!
    "they" are volunteers (hunters that work for a construction company), it would take even longer if it weren't for them.
    Last edited by airwreck; 03-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    SLICKPOODLES? Thats the best name yet! Sorry about Poly's .

Yes, that's fonetic
    Everything's slick right now, been raining pretty much island wide for over 24 hours now...just stopping.
    Group went up Thursday night and the road's clear and graded but there are no guardrails replaced yet, that may be what they're waiting on to open up the road. Mamane's rutted, rocky and technical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I sure do hope its open by June, its my hope to do a week on Lanai then ferry over for a week on Maui, just biking, camping, chilling. A couple years ago I had a great time camping at Poli, Olowalu, Kaunalu, Manele, and Keomoku. Caught up with some old friends, read a good book, drank some good wine, and biked some awesome trails. Looking to a 2011 edition. Mucho Gracias for the updates!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you currently ride down from the summit, down Skyline, to Waipoli Road?

Yes, that's fonetic
    From what I understand they've got it blocked somehow at the top.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well June is here, I sure hope the trails open soon, online I saw the park/trails are still closed. Is there any word from the Maui gang?

Edit: Molokai ferry looks like its $167 RT so I have a few more days on Maui and have been looking at the topo's for some less known trails.
    Looks like there is a trail above the Hana hwy? following the Koolau ditch?

Just flew back and saw some roads north of the plantation course in Kapalua, they look fun.

I fly over in 2 days.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Stumpjumper808; 06-08-2011 at 11:44 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    Haven't heard anything but the trail crew has been working on the trails and people are riding either pedal up the road or shuttle to the top of the mountain, just can't drive up to the park from the bottom.

No problem discussing the EMI roads online, that is what you see on the map above the highway paralleling the ditch. Lots of roads and trails to get lost on, can be confusing, and there are many gates, but it is epic riding. Hunters may not like seeing you in there, EMI crew may or may not hassle you. The map shows the road connecting all the way to Nahiku but it was washed out above Kaenae many years ago. Several options to access from the highway, don't leave anything in your car.

Skyline to Makena is risky trespassing, xterra used to go through there and soon a wind farm.

Kapalua, see xterra kapalua thread for some good info.

EMI epicness...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks gang! I'll be the guy on a GT backpack on loving life, Say Jello if you u see me.

Drive fast and take chances,
    will

Yes, that's fonetic
    From the Maui Bicycle Alliance email update just now...
    "Poli Poli Forest Reserve Not Re-Opening this Friday, July 1. Pushed to mid July.

The Poli Poli Forest Reserve will NOT be opening this coming Friday as had been previously scheduled. Looks like the new opening date will be sometime around mid July. Guess some of the repairs and remediation work has not been completed so we'll have to wait a bit. "

Sucks, but right now parts of the lower dirt road (below the campground) road are 2' deep in wood chips and above the top of Mamane it's been bulldozed to powder so I guess we're not missing much.