mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Peacock Flats downhill

The peace of riding solo around peacock flats is one of my favorite things to enjoy. Yesterday I did this, parked on the west end, very nice better than the DZ.
    I really enjoy every part of Peacock flats but the body is not up for failing to navigate the single track of the Kealia trail. I ride 80% of it. Have fallen many times.
    So I was off looking for another way down, one that I can ride 100% no more technical than say the easiest St Louis trail. I break out the charts and see a trail called Peacock Flats Trail and I look from the airfield and it seems like there is one so off I go. Up the paved road, onto the dirt rd then on one ridgeline I take the trail that goes lower than the main rd, and on the first ridge the trail continues its contour but also goes straight down and is rideable for about 400 meters until the trail seems to disappear. Half of me wants to show up with a machete and weed be gone and blaze a new one or resurrect an old one.
    Does anyone recall this ever being an option? If you could end it right at the halfway point of the runway it could be a fun option for those of us that donít want to buck up to the Kealia trail. Riding the pavement down is no fun either.
    Any thoughts?

will

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Years ago I remember being with a group and heading down toward Kealia, mistakenly not taking a fork and following another trail that started off clear. I can't remember too clearly but I know it dissapeared and we ended up negotiating some very steep section that was climb and hand bike to another person. And there was an wrecked abandoned car there. Another time me & a friend tried a trail earlier than that one & I remember at one point following a dry streambed, climbing a fence and gingerly walking through a herd of cows. That one was definitely a no go. I'm sure it was private land, but we were stuck as we really didn't want to go back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

peacock flats dh = kealia?

ok when you say peacock flats dh, do you mean the kealia trail?

i rode that peacock flats area, and remember coming down looking for the kealia trail and came to a fork in the road. i had no idea which way to go, i think there was a sign that said kealia trail but was not sure which way it pointed. so i just took a chance and went right, and ended up at kealia.

what is the best way to get up to peacock flats? or should i say, how many ways can you get up there besides mokuleia access road and kealia?

i am thinking about riding there again, but its been so damn hot!

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Up or down Two main ways plus a third with a permit.
    1. The paved road half a mile east of Dillingham,easiest way up.
    2. Up Kealia, a little bury but great uphill training
    3. Get a permit and drive up to the golf balls Makaha side of Kaena, boring and cheating!
    Also I have gone down the Mokuleia trail which pops you out about 400M east of the paved rd going up. So four that I know of.

I consider the whole network up there as peacock flats, despite the fact that it isnt flat but I do see peacocks. I can do all out rides , car to car ranging from 2 hrs to 6 hrs. There are many options and you never need to do the same ride twice in a row. I have even riden to the top of the valley above Camp Erdman and then hiked a bike down, rappelled a few small waterfalls, and ended happily. So make that 5 ways down.
    Cheers,
    will

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mokuleia trail?

so going up to peacock you go up the mokuleia access road? the one that has the locked gate you crawl through? i went up there before. too damn long, hot, and steep for me! and i cannot imagine going up kealia for that matter!

where is mokuleia trail? you mean you can keep going east up on the mountain, then come back down before you get to the access road?

i dont remember seeing any peacocks!

last time i was out on the fire road up there, i was totally startled by a suv suddenly coming down the road i was going up. nuts.

where are these waterfalls?

i gotta get back out to the northshore!

thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Its about 3.5 miles to the top of the paved rd. Consider it your payment to the gods for allowing you on the hill. For the Moke trail take a left at the first upper gate. Keep riding. I would not go up that one only down cause it dumps at the bottom by the no trespassing signs. For the waterfalls which are likely dry now. Park at camp erdman and walk up. Go as far as your courage allows. Its just a scramble after about 5, then after about 30 minutes of walking uphill you will come across the 4x4 trail.
    Be the first in your group and you'll see peacocks.
    There is some auto's up there but rarely do I see them.
    My favorite section is at the very top of the paved rd. There is a down hill section that last time I looked was way over grown. It is about 10 minutes of seat in the belly hanging on. An absolute riot.
    Yep, we all need more time up North.
    WS

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Was curious what kind of shape I am in so today I did the 14 mile loop up the paved rd and down Kealia. Damn I'm walking about half that Kealia trail now, even did a beautiful slow motion over the bars wipe out much to the entertainment of two hikers.
    I had the Strava ap running and it recorded a total elevation gain at 2700 ft. All those up and downs really add up. The 4x4 road was pretty wet all the way to the kuaokala cut off.

Good fun and a beautiful ride, a lot of vegetation. 2hrs 49 min, I'm ok with that.

Have fun,
    Will

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper808 View Post
    Was curious what kind of shape I am in so today I did the 14 mile loop up the paved rd and down Kealia. Damn I'm walking about half that Kealia trail now, even did a beautiful slow motion over the bars wipe out much to the entertainment of two hikers.
    I had the Strava ap running and it recorded a total elevation gain at 2700 ft. All those up and downs really add up. The 4x4 road was pretty wet all the way to the kuaokala cut off.

Good fun and a beautiful ride, a lot of vegetation. 2hrs 49 min, I'm ok with that.

Have fun,
    Will

Been years since I've done that ride. Love it. It's got a bit of all kinds of stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This used to be a xc race course back in the early 90s.

The road up from the banana tree farm is one of the steeper climbs on Oahu.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Oh god, I remember doing that race, on my full rigid Fat. Up the road climb, on the jeep roads, then down Kealia. That road climb sucks. We figured its about the same elevation gain of Tantalus in town, in half the distance.