Thread: Oahu trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Oahu trails

HI,
    My family is going to be going to Oahu over the winter for vacation and i was wondering what good trails there are around the island, preferably closer to honolulu.
    Also, how difficult are most of the trails around that area, and what kind of bike would be best for most of the trails.
    i was also wondering what would be a good place to rent a mountain bike in that area,
    Thanks

Canuck on this Rock

Depending on the type of riding you want to do. If your into XC, there are a few good trails right outside of the city. If you like DH there is a good trail in Honolulu. There is a mountain bike tour group www.bikehawaii.com and they ride at Kualoa Ranch (the same place that Lost and several films were shot), and they rent bikes too. You can also go to dhhawaii.com and check that forum for maybe someone to ride with. Not sure where you can rent a good mountain bike anymore on Oahu.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have this link saved. I'm moving back to the island in December.
    http://mountainbikehawaii.homestead....20Loop%20Trail
    2008 Cannondale Rush SL 4
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    cool, so far ive only really ridden xc, so that would be mt main interst while im there. Ill check out that tour group and see what they offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Keep your fingers crossed that it's dry when you visit - the abundance of roots can prove challenging for the uninitiated. If the roots don't get you, the mud clogging your wheels and drive-chain will. Along with Spicoli's suggestions. . . take a look at the (Oahu) trail reviews for an idea of what to expect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey EB....what is the tire of choice for the AM or DH crowd? I run Nevegal and Specialized Pinner and Maxxis Advantages. They all shed mud pretty well so I think I'll be covered but if there are better tires please let me know. Thinking of picking up some Kenda Excavators since they are a well rounded tire too with big nobs.

Thanks in advance...heading to Oahu for good in about 4-6 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    what is the tire of choice for the AM or DH crowd? I
    DH crowd here likes minions, high rollers, nevegals & michelins. AM is more wide open.

Tire choices won't make much of a difference if it's really muddy. Frame choice and fork choices make a difference. Did a run at St. Louis a while back. I was the only one who was able to ride all the way down. Everyone had to walk out because the tires wouldn't turn. I have a 888 on a single pivot frame with 2.5 high rollers. 888 and single pivot frame has massive mud clearance so no problems. Manitou with reverse arch fork and multiple pivot bikes clogs super fast because clearance is smaller.

Most trails, unless it's a ridge trail, clog to easily so most of us won't ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks Racer...that's what I was looking for. I think I should be fine then since I already have all the treads of choice. Interesting to see that NW tires work just as well over there. I'm stoked to hit St Louis, the vids from DH Hawaii have me psyched big time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One cool thing about riding on Oahu is everything is really close together. You can be trailing riding in the morning, DHing in the afternoon and sessioning DJ's at dusk.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yup -i rode maunawili, huaalua and cambodia all in one dawn to dusk day.

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    One cool thing about riding on Oahu is everything is really close together. You can be trailing riding in the morning, DHing in the afternoon and sessioning DJ's at dusk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    yup -i rode maunawili, huaalua and cambodia all in one dawn to dusk day.
    . . .opposed to a "dusk to dawn day"? Hmm, I suppose you could with lights but there's no way with the Night Marchers (Maunawili is way too close to the Pali. . .) Yeah, Oahu has a bit of everything but it's not the place if you're expecting a lot of it. That said, it's what you make of it!

As for the tire-issue. . . just make sure if you're riding in wet conditions that there's clearance between your stays, chain, fork-braces, etc. I've tried to keep the mud from sticking using the ol' Pam No-Stick Spray technique, used Armor-All (sidewalls only); totally FUTILE! "Clearance" is the issue here. Moderate (WTF is "moderate"?) to dry conditions? Um, Minions if you don't mind the heft while pedaling, High Rollers are probably the best all around tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey EB, I'm still planning on giving you a shout once I get over there. Did you relocate? Hopefully you are still in the area when I finally get all of my transfer paperwork approved.

Man, the mud sounds nasty and thick. Looks like it's going to play havoc on my gear, I think I better invest in a good ole' ht to save my duallies from taking too much abuse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er
    . . . Yeah, Oahu has a bit of everything but it's not the place if you're expecting a lot of it. That said, it's what you make of it!
    You might be able to squeeze a session in the waves if the shore is pumping. How cool is that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    . . .or you can "session your 'squeeze' and make some waves with a little pumping". That'd be cool too. . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey finally made it to Oahu. I hit St Louis on my own since I heard most of the crowd rides on Saturday, but I have to work. It was a great DH section, if anyone has time please give me a shout and we can hook up. I'll post this over on the DH Hawaii section, but for now I just want to ride with anyone willing to come on out. Thanks!