mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Oahu Trail update for a old-timer

I just bought a Specialied Camber expert last year. I only took this bike to St.Louis Hts, Palisades Pearl City and Royal Summit. It has been years since I been riding mtn bike, just getting into it again. I road most trails around Oahu back in the day, but was wondering if any trails are closed to Mtn.biking? Or any new trials opened?

Canuck on this Rock
    Aiea Loop is now closed. Checkout MTBHawaii.com for some more trail ideas.

mtbr member
    May 2012

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    wow, very surprised to hear Aeia is shut down. What happened ?

Canuck on this Rock
    Lost it about 4 months ago. The downed trees started to increase, and the park supervisor was not into getting rid of them, because they slowed down the MTBers. Then one day, no meeting no nothing, signs went up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss View Post
    Lost it about 4 months ago. The downed trees started to increase, and the park supervisor was not into getting rid of them, because they slowed down the MTBers. Then one day, no meeting no nothing, signs went up!
    It's been about three years since I last rode said trail but, yeah, there were multiple fallen-trees (requiring a quasi-cyclocross approach).... Na Ala Hele & Sierra Club's way of sending thanks towards mountain-bikers for hauling crushed-rock (for trail-bedding) and installing the benches at scenic-points and rest-stops .

mtbr member
    Wow, bummer, that's sad. Any trail closed is a bummer, especially at people get more and more tightly packed into smaller spaces. I've been working with the locals at my trails to keep things cleared out. It's pretty cool, horse riders, hunters all seem to OK with us being up there in Kalopa.

Good luck with that. I used to enjoy riding Aiea Loop from time to time when I was out there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I still ride aiea loop twice a week. Just don't go on a weekend too many hikers. 40 min top trail head to bottom trail head. One of the best tech single track with some fast dh on island. Also be nice to the hikers so they don't complain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shouldn't be news to you, but Tantalus is not ridable anymore. And as others mentioned, Aiea Loop is gone. But there are actually many new places. Royal Summit is one. Mililani by Costco always a wild card.

Depending on if you want mainland type riding, or tight twisty technical single track typical of hawaii trails

mtbr member
    Sunset Hills was my go to when I was still living on Oahu.