mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Oahu Riding Info

I'm heading to Oahu on Tuesday, 9/14/10 and will be leaving on Friday, 9/17/10. I would love to get a good half day of riding in on some fun technical trials. My question for any of the locals, is it better to rent a bike and head out on your own to find some trails or head over to the north shore and due the bike tour thing. I'm an avid rider and ride all disciplines from cross country to downhill. I'm looking for some fun riding and good scenery. I live and ride in San Diego, CA so I'm hoping for something different. If anyone would like to meet up and ride I'd be happy to meet you as well.

Thanks
    Jesse

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A half a day being 12 hours if I was visiting here would be to rent a ride. For a technical descent I love Kealia Trail above dillingham airfield, you can peddle uphill3 or 4 miles on paved road then do a few miles of 4x4 trails and finsih with this singletrack downhill section. Most people I ride with walk a few sections, but I have been with a couple riders who rode the length, well one endo'd near the end but it was stil a god ride.

Thats about 3 hours, you then still have 9 hours to ride. Maybe royal arches, or summit, its royal sumthin just peddle up the 4x4 and down the single track, that's 1 more hour then maybe just look around a ride where ever the trail may be.

Good Luck!

Aloha.
    will

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rent a bike from "The Bike Shop" and head out on your own. There are lots of trails we can direct you to - with GREAT views!! Weather is great this week - nice and dry and not too hot.

Rental is a little expensive, but they have pretty new bikes. I've honestly never done the bike tour, but it reminds me of a "trail ride" with a horse group..... Poking along at a snails pace.

Let us know where on the island you will be staying and we can set you on a nice trail.

There is a Wed PM group that rides in Kailua at 5pm for 1 1/2hrs or so too.

Send me a PM for more details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Oahu Trails

I'm just browsing the Hawaii trail forum and came across your post. I'll be in Oahu in Nov 1 to 8. I lived in Kahuku most of my life, but didn't start mtb riking until I went to college in the Bay Area. So I'm not familiar with Hawaii trails at all. I'd love to (re) discover my hometown when I'm there in couple weeks. I will definitely check out The Bike Shop and rent a bike for a day or 2. Shall I bring my own shoes and pedals?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to some fun Hawaii riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Send me a PM and we will get you with a nice group for a ride. There are a lot of people building trials here lately all over the island. A nice mix of DH and XC trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Oahu Trails

Thanks. I just sent you a PM. Looking forward to riding Oahu trails!

Novice
    Oct 2010

Recommended all around bike for Oahu

I am moving to Oahu next month and am considering buying a cross country bike before I come. I have a SC Nomad for the downhill and am looking at a Blur or something comparable for the less technical rides.

Can anyone who lives there give me an idea of what the general riding is like?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleCat
    I am moving to Oahu next month and am considering buying a cross country bike before I come. I have a SC Nomad for the downhill and am looking at a Blur or something comparable for the less technical rides.

Can anyone who lives there give me an idea of what the general riding is like?

Thanks,
    SC bikes like the Blur are quite popular here for XC rides. The majority of our trails are XC type. There is plenty of downhill as well, but I would say more miles of XC trails. On the trials here we see Blurs, Epics, Stumpys, Sparks, Mojos etc etc.

Novice
    Oct 2010

Thanks

Big thanks man,

Looking forward to coming!

Peace!