Thread: Oahu Advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Oahu Advice

So I've recently decided to pull my old bike out of the garage and get back to some trails. It's been about 9 years since I did any real biking. I used to ride XC trails with a bunch of guys in Portland, ME as a teen and really enjoyed it but I stopped going to Maine and never really got into it here on Oahu. I work ridiculous amounts and I am really just looking for some fun rides to do on the few days I get off here and there.

I live in Kailua so I've mostly just been riding around Kailua and Kaneohe to get back in shape. Since my renewed interest I've hit a few trails and these have been my experiences... I'm hoping perhaps based on this you might be able to point me in the direction of some new rides.

St. Louis Heights - love this trail for the most part... it was actually the first trail I ever rode as a kid so I keep coming back. The first bit before the steep DH sections is great... The rest of the trail is fun but I've realized that I'm really riding the wrong bike for most of this trail. The only other thing I'm not thrilled with is that it's a very short ride.

Aiea Loop Trail - I have hiked this trail all my life but had never biked it before. I had seen some mention of it as a biking trail so I figured what the hell... Well I conveniently had forgotten that the first part of that trail was huge roots which, unless you are a technical genius, are pretty much unrideable. That aside, the rest of the trail was a lot of fun save for the numerous downed trees and wash outs along the way. I managed to take a long roll down the side of the hill thanks to a particularly unexpected root but aside from a bit of jungle in my helmet all was fine. However, this trail is also a pretty quick ride.

Wiliwilinui Trail - All I've got to say about this trail is... How is this a trail you would want to ride a bike on? Possibly if you are one of those insaneo endurance riders that love prolonged pain then yes, this trail is for you. After walking most of the way to the top, until it becomes a hiking only trail, the trip back seemed like it lasted a whole 5 minutes and hardly seemed worth the climb. The upside was that there were some breathtaking views and fun ups and downs on the way back. I would love to take my wife hiking there someday and go all the way to the top... but I will certainly be leaving the bike at home.

So I guess the healthier side of me is looking for long distance, rolling terrain, with a few uphill sections and the adrenaline junky in me wants some downhills and little dirt jumps to see if I still remember how to fall. I have heard of some trails in Millilani that might fit that description but where are they? I would be especially excited if something like this existed on the windward side since I live in Enchanted Lakes.

If you've read this far thank you and hopefully you might have some friendly insight. One of my biggest problems is that my work schedule is rather hectic and makes it very difficult to plan rides with people. Aside from that I'm not exactly a social person nor do I really know anyone else that's into biking so I mostly ride alone. That would all be well and good if I just knew where to go.

See ya on the trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The mililani trails I wouldn't really consider in mililani. They are kinda by the costco off the H2 just the other side of the freeway from costco. they are confusing and long. I recommend really taking good ideas of where you took turns there are lots of trails out there. Stick to a color ( a couple of them have blue and orange ribbons marking them) But not always is the ribbon still hanging. Ride a trail a bunch then try riding a different one. the paths will cross often but get used to it before you get lost out there.
    Try riding royal summit- its a dirt road to the top and there is a pretty good downhill section. there are some jumps but i steer clear of those.

goodluck man

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To the original poser, if you dont mind traveling a bit, you should consider Kaena point on northshore to get some technical skills first. This is a flat trail 5 miles one way, is an out and back though. When you get in better shape, try Kahuku motocross track. There are numerous trails off to the side for mountain bike. I haven't been there personally but from the pictures I have seen a lot of good riding that can last for hours. Some jumps there too. They used to do racing up there so the trails are worth while.

As for mililani, as the above poser said, is very confusing. Basically park at costco area, cross the freeway and there will be an entrance down the road a bit. If you like jumps, there used to be these 2 jumps on the side of a ridge. Need a guide to take you there. Again this is an area you can ride for a while.

Lastly, since you are at Kailua/Kaneohe, you should consider Maunawili. Dont start at the Pali lookout side. There is an entrance at Waimanalo. The trail system there is pretty awesome. But try to stick to the Maunawili ditch trail rather than the 12 mile regular Maunawili trail that goes along the cliffs of windward side. The ditch trail has alot of small up and down and is not that rooty. Hawaii Bicycle League (local bike club) used to do club rides there back in the 90s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    thanks for the info guys... I will definitely check it these trails out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post

As for mililani, as the above poser said, is very confusing. Basically park at costco area, cross the freeway and there will be an entrance down the road a bit. If you like jumps, there used to be these 2 jumps on the side of a ridge. Need a guide to take you there. Again this is an area you can ride for a while.

I have always been told riding at Mililani was illegal and you would be run off. Has that changed? I would love to check out the trails on my next trip to Oahu.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Go with locals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the trail entrance for the Norfolk trails in Kailua? Someone PM'd me about it but I'm a noob and can't PM back.

I did a drive by the other day and saw what looked like some rutting off the main road but couldn't be sure without further inspection. Further down the road I saw an old dirt road that looked like it could be promising as well. Don't really want to bomb down someone's drive way if I don't have to though... but I will! Thinking about pedaling over there tomorrow so if someone could point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

On another note, just got back from Royal Summit.... AWESOME! Thanks for that lead... you know who you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Man Mike View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the trail entrance for the Norfolk trails in Kailua? Someone PM'd me about it but I'm a noob and can't PM back.

I did a drive by the other day and saw what looked like some rutting off the main road but couldn't be sure without further inspection. Further down the road I saw an old dirt road that looked like it could be promising as well. Don't really want to bomb down someone's drive way if I don't have to though... but I will! Thinking about pedaling over there tomorrow so if someone could point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

On another note, just got back from Royal Summit.... AWESOME! Thanks for that lead... you know who you are.

Dam, this is right behind my aunts house in Royal Summit. I just googled her house which she lives @ Ainanui Loop... and followed the map up... How would you rate this trail for aerobics? It seemed mostly downhill so pretty much the climb to the top is probably intense. How would you rate it on a scale of 1-5 as far aerobic workout? Lots of steep hills to climb?