bike rider

North Shore Trails

I'm gonna move from Lahaina to a house near Rocky Point. Are there a lot of trails nearby? I have AM and DH bikes and a truck for shuttling so I'm interested in all kinds of trails. After visiting friends and seeing the lay of the land it looks like you'd have a lot more trails there than we do on West Maui.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ...don't leave a brother hangin'...

...top of Pupukea Heights Rd; Boy Scout Camp; green-gate about 70yds. up-slope; ride jeep-road for maybe a quarter-mile; trail is to the left - West Kaunala a.k.a. "Cambodia Trail" - features a good set of roots (super-technical roots varying from three to fourteen inches high), a few stream-crossings, some steep-climbs. When the trail meets the jeep-road again, turn right and ride the road until reaching a yellow-gate; turn right at the intersection immediately after the yellow-gate and ride the jeep-road back to where you began.... This is not a ride to sample during wet-weather (or shortly thereafter - allow at least 2-3 days to dry depending on the severity of the preceding inclement weather). Total length - as described is ~ 3 miles.

bike rider
    Mahalo cuz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No problem. Kahuku Moto-X has a lot of good riding too - again, only if it's dry.

You'll probably have to pack up the truck and head toward "town" for more riding possibilities depending on what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er

...top of Pupukea Heights Rd; Boy Scout Camp; green-gate about 70yds. up-slope; ride jeep-road for maybe a quarter-mile; trail is to the left - West Kaunala a.k.a. "Cambodia Trail" - features a good set of roots (super-technical roots varying from three to fourteen inches high), a few stream-crossings, some steep-climbs. When the trail meets the jeep-road again, turn right and ride the road until reaching a yellow-gate; turn right at the intersection immediately after the yellow-gate and ride the jeep-road back to where you began.... This is not a ride to sample during wet-weather (or shortly thereafter - allow at least 2-3 days to dry depending on the severity of the preceding inclement weather). Total length - as described is ~ 3 miles.
    When I was up there last month there was some SERIOUS road construction going on in the jeep road. Seems the govt has decided to PAVE the entire Drum road from Kahuku to Helemanu. Lots of oil and muck on the jeep road in places. I hear its for the Stryker trucks. Reminds me of that song - "pave paradise - put up a parking lot..........".

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yes this is what I considred the "standard" North Shore ride when I was there. It seems more like 6 miles than 3. Also you have the option of not taking the path to the yellow gate but going on and you'll eventualy ride thru the motocross park. Take a left on kam highway again until you get to the food laand then ride back up to the camp if thats where ya parked. that makes for a good trail and road ride.

Quote Originally Posted by emptybe_er

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004
    Lot's of other stuff out there on private land in Pupukea area I heard.

But I wouldn't know anything about it.

Lot's of epic stuff around Kahuku motorbike park too. Don't expect to be shuttling though.

mtbr member
    From speaking to many here they seem to indicate there is more than way more than 6 miles of riding available up there ? I am staying in Turtle Bay. Most say Papukea and come down Waimea and then ride back to foodland? Mixed views on whether being able to ride all or any section of them this time of the year is possible. Some say that the rain this season has been so much worse than normal and that is why they would be tough. Not sure what to think.