mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nearest camp ground to 4 great trails on Hawaii Island?

Aloha Big Island riders, this summer I got a sun - thu on the BI so I'm gonna head to Kona works rent a F/S ride, hit a campground, and ride for sun - wed. Is there a one camp ground that would most centrally locate me to trails? I'm gonna rent a car as well so I am mobile. Any trails that are fun, xc, downhill, 4x4 or single track, I'd like to do the mornings 2-5 hrs ride and grill burgers and Cabernet in the afternoon.

I've seen the Facebook site, generally am not on that site. I hope Kona works can direct me to some specific trails but being summer I would prefer to have a campsite secured.

Big thanks for any ideas or direction.

Mahalo,
    Will

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Check out Kalopa State Park, nice singletrack, campgrounds, centrally located between east and west side. Probably need to buy a camping permit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks, that's one part of that Big Island where I have not been so I'm liking it. I was thinking of road biking around the island but the mtn biking over there looks so good I think the bianchi will stay home and I'll bring the epic or rent one for a few days. Plus camping out of a car is luxurious compared to living out of the panniers.

mtbr member
    Hey Will, if you stay in Kalopa you'll definitely be central to some good trail riding both east side and west side AND Kalopa. What are the dates you'll be here? Maybe we can get a group together and hook up for some trail riding. Go and chime in on the Big Island Mountain Biking FB page. Give Grant a call at Bikeworks in Kona or Matt a Mountain Road Cycles in Waimea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Cool, I'll reserve a campsite soon enough. I'm free to ride sun July 6th thru the 9th mid afternoon. I am an amateur on fb, I see the Big Island Mtn bike page but posting is another trick.
    If I can not fit my epic 29er in my case then I'll rent one from Kona bike works, either way I'll stop by to talk trails. And I should be ready to ride by lunch on the 6th. Of course I'll pick up the necessary refreshments before leaving Kona.

Thanks, I'd enjoy a ride with the local talent, if possible.