mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Mtn Biking on Maui

I am a week out from a trip to Maui where I want to ride at least 2 days. Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Skyline and the linkage to lower trails sounds interesting but I am having a hard time finding out how to access this stuff online (namely where the trails intersect and how to link them together for the total ride). Also looks like Mamame and Waiakoa Loop would be fun. What are the local favorites and how with one vehicle and both people being riders do you ever ride skyline? Any thoughts or comments on local vendors for bikes as well as what you really need to ride these trails is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by maddiver
    What are the local favorites and how with one vehicle and both people being riders do you ever ride skyline?
    pedal up to 8'000+ feet on skyline no problem, it's gravel cinder road.
    http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/trai...ilID=MA+13+001

The good hard loop to do would be down Boundary, up redwood to skyline and down mamane. If you wanted to throw in one more climb, on the way down mamane you can turn right and do upper waiohuli towards upper waikoa and turn around when your will power runs out or you can end down at waikoa loop and then have to grind up the paved road to where you left your car at the top of boundary. I wouldn't call that a local favorite though. Boundary downhill would be my favorite if it's good and it's not always good, favorite uphill would be the redwood trail up from the bottom of boundary. It's steep and rooty and barely makeable.

I was up there the other evening and it was stunning above the clouds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    See Paul at Crater Cycles. I was on Maui last October and he was very helpful with rental and guidance. Nice singletrack in Makawao Forest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you are looking for more allmountain rides with some great DH stop in at West Maui Cycles. They also rent Giant Trance x

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the replies!

mtbr member
    Maddiver,
    Any report on your trip? I am heading to Maui next month for a week and planning to bring my MTB.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pm

Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo
    Maddiver,
    Any report on your trip? I am heading to Maui next month for a week and planning to bring my MTB.
    I just went a few weeks ago. Rented a great Giant FS and found some really good areas and trails. I was able to really check it all out. So, as a fellow visitor to Maui, I'd be happy to let you in on all that I found. That goes for anyone. Just PM me.

-G

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Trip Report

Thanks again to everyone who provided info. My girlfriend and I rode 2 days in Maui and since we were staying on the West side of the island, we rented from West Maui Cycles. Wish we would have talked to Alan there earlier...as he now is running/doing day guiding. I didn't get any pricing for that but the bike rentals were reasonable.

So we attempted Airwreck's suggested ride right out of the gate and wouldn't you know it...the combination of unfamiliar bike, volcanic dust and roots (what are roots she later asked me) sent my GF OTB in the first 100 yards! Being only her second time OTB and with the wind knocked out of her my day of riding Boundary was over.

We went to Makawao Forest instead where there are some very easy riding trails. Good cardio workout and just plain fun. This was a good plan after her experience on Boundary as she could ride really mellow stuff and there were some good offshoots towards the bottom for me. Next day, not to be defeated, we were back to Poli Poli. When we talked to people about this place, everything was Poli Poli and never could get details that made us feel comfortable with where to go or what to do while we were riding the trails. We got lost a lot.

So we parked the car just after Boundary as we couldn't drive the rental car any further without risking a punctured gas tank. We rode up the road to the Poli Poli turn off and saw where Mamane dumped out to Lower Waiohuli and the road we were riding to Poli Poli campground. When we got to Poli Poli we realized there were a lot of trails that bikes couldn't go on. We road DOWN Redwood. That was fun (it would have been challenging to climb back up). We got down to the intersection with Boundary and made a mistake by turning left onto a trail that I forget the name. Rough going couple of miles. Downed trees, hike a bike...definately NOT a bike trail and ended up on Haleakala Ridge Trail....do not go this way! Follow Airwreck's directions. There was no one to ask for directions on these trails.

Toughed it out and came out above the campground on the road that headed up toward skyline. Our ultimate goal was to ride Mamane. We got there and took a break right before riding down Mamane. That trail was the most fun we had on the bikes all trip! We wished we had just ridden the road up to Mamane, down Mamane and repeat. I wished I had been able to complete Airwreck's route as well. Redwood looked really challenging if one is riding up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3291.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3275.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3220.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3225.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3197.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-hawaii-065.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3292.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3249.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3232.jpg  

Mtn Biking on Maui-img_3199.jpg  

Last edited by maddiver; 06-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Excellent post, thanks for sharing. If you ever make it to the Big Island, give me a call, should be able to get you out on some trails.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Great photo's!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks maddiver for the RR and the photos!

My husband and I are headed to Maui in a couple weeks and can't wait to explore the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Maui Riding

Its a lot of driving when you are on vacation but worth it imho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for all the great info!

gwm
    heckler and jekyll
    What kind of tires are best for trails in Maui? Anybody running hobby nics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    is anybody selling a downhill mtb on maui

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by gullywhipper View Post
    is anybody selling a downhill mtb on maui
    What size are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I did an awesome road ride around West Maui while I was there a few ago. I rented a Specialized and did an incredible 62 mile loop. I like to mountain bike better but that was the best road ride of my life. Incredible tropical valleys and very little traffic on the backside of the Island.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Did you go clockwise and hit "Mister Steepy" on the west side? The annual Jim Stewart Memorial metric century ride/race every year does that course. Used to be a once a month must back when I used to log road miles.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I didn't know about that but I guess I missed some good banana bread. I could have easily have done that loop twice. Next trip a climb up Haleakala IF I am not sick of the cold weather in Washington. I love the warm air in Maui and end up doing quite a bit of just relaxing. No sunbathing but just chilling and reading is great.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Just ride!
    The Haleakala ride from Paia is incredible!! I did it last year on my honeymoon!! Fantastic 70 mile ride!