mtbr member
    Sep 2012

MTB newb on Oahu

Would like to see if there's any group rides welcoming MTB newbs. I'm familiar with some of the hiking trails but not bike trails and their levels of difficulties. Did a search on here and found great information but was wondering if there's group rides as it would be safer and not to mention meeting experienced MTBers. Currently have a 1999 frame hard tail bike bought from craigslist that I think is setup for XC and light trails.

Canuck on this Rock
    You should go visit the guys at The Bike Shop in Aiea. They usually get together at least once a week and ride. Ask for Devin, let him know that Chris from the town store sent you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great! Been there a couple of times for bike parts and a tune up. Will definitely ask on my next visit.

mtbr member
    Standing Wednesday nite ride in Kailua. Roll at 5pm from Pohakupu Park, which is across the way from Castle Hospital. We ride Maunawili/Olomana/Luana Hills. It gets dark early so bring lights. Ride with breaks and regroups is just under 2 hours - intermediate level ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sounds fun! i'll have to see if i can get off work early tho... i work office hours and i'll be coming from town.

habitual line-stepper
    not to thread-jack, but i'll be moving back end of this month and will want to get out and ride. 1x9 (32x11-34) okay for that loop? i'm comfortable doing 8-10 mile trail rides with short climbs and steeps up here in WA on this set-up. if not, then i'll mount up a FD/shifter before i pack up my bikes. handle or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i didn't see there was this question. not familiar with that said trail, could be pretty flat so you'll probably want an additional ring for the front. super late, sorry. i gotta say i'm lovin' royal summit at the moment. i feel intimidated by all the FS and full-gear people that i see going there... seems like i'm the only one bringing a HT at the moment (aside from my bro when he comes)... i'm starting to think i'm using the wrong bike for that trail can't afford a FS and just got my HT recently off of CL.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss View Post
    You should go visit the guys at The Bike Shop in Aiea. They usually get together at least once a week and ride. Ask for Devin, let him know that Chris from the town store sent you.
    +1. Used to ride with the old crew there in mililani. And then I eventually became part of the staff team...great bunch of people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kailua Loop: 32T-ring w/ an 11-34T spread is do-able; adding a 22T will be nice for a couple 'steeps' in said loop.

Royal Summit: Hard-tails are fine, man; don't let anybody or their mannerisms let you think differently. As long as you roll-out of that joint with a smile on yer face, yer one of the tribe, man.

Mililani: ...place is a wreck - don't even bother.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the heads up on Mililani. Was gonna check it out. And yes I always leave that place with a big smile just got wary the first time I went and the folks and rides I saw. Don't get me wrong, they're nice and was welcoming.