Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mtb on Kauai?

34N 118W

New question here. mtb on Kauai?

has anyone ridden on Kauai? I'll be there in June for a week and would love to ride. Lemme know if you've got some trials to recommend.

thanks,
    HW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    has anyone ridden on Kauai? I'll be there in June for a week and would love to ride. Lemme know if you've got some trials to recommend.

thanks,
    HW
    Find a book called "Mountain Biking the Hawaiian Islands". It lists trails and bike shops. I got mine from Amazon.com.

~~~~~~~~

thanks,
    HW
    Hey Hollywood,
    We'll have a report on Kauai soon if somebody from there doesn't speak up in the meantime.
    For now consider that the State lands are were you'll be riding so check this out.
    http://www.hawaiitrails.org/island.asp?island=Kauai
    Maybe look at the Powerline trail as it's a popular one.

The book mentioned before.
    http://bikehawaii.com/

More later,
    Eric

34N 118W
    thanks!!! (nm)

mtbr member

From Kauai

Every Sunday at the Kapaa Beach Park at 0800 hours for 25+ miles of Kauai's finest single track. I hope this isn't too late.
    Last edited by neimac; 06-18-2004 at 09:41 PM. Reason: wrong information

34N 118W

Bonking ... not feelin' well d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by neimac
    Every Sunday at the Kapaa Beach Park at 0800 hours for 25+ miles of Kauai's finest single track. I hope this isn't too late.

thanks, but I've been back on the mainland for almost a week. That would have been cool knowing before I left, but that just means I'll have to come back I was pretty much disuaded from riding after calling around to the shops. I was told that singletrack (hiking trails) are off-limits and that I would be limited to dirt roads. And the rental bikes were "so-so". I chose the ocean instead, never did ride. But your Sunday ride sounds great! Damn!

Jeff

PS - I was staying in Poipu.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bike rentals near Kapaa or Poipu...

Howzit Neimac,
    We're coming Kauai, next week Monday to surf and stuff. Only bike shop I found was Bicycle John's. Haven't called them yet, do you know if they rent bikes. Anyway, we plan to surf south shore , with a possible wakeboard day on the Wailua river. Not sure if we'll still be around for the Sunday, 4th of July ride . Hope so. If you know of a shop near Kapaa or Poipu, post the # here and I'll call them. Got a week to get everything together.
    Mahalo, L.R.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

thanks, but I've been back on the mainland for almost a week. That would have been cool knowing before I left, but that just means I'll have to come back I was pretty much disuaded from riding after calling around to the shops. I was told that singletrack (hiking trails) are off-limits and that I would be limited to dirt roads. And the rental bikes were "so-so". I chose the ocean instead, never did ride. But your Sunday ride sounds great! Damn!

Jeff

PS - I was staying in Poipu.
    Sorry we missed you. Sunday is still on and try Kauai Cycle and Tour next time. They are in Kapaa. Fathers Day we rode 35+ miles of valley, mountain and beach on the east side of Kauai.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 57clydesdale
    Howzit Neimac,
    We're coming Kauai, next week Monday to surf and stuff. Only bike shop I found was Bicycle John's. Haven't called them yet, do you know if they rent bikes. Anyway, we plan to surf south shore , with a possible wakeboard day on the Wailua river. Not sure if we'll still be around for the Sunday, 4th of July ride . Hope so. If you know of a shop near Kapaa or Poipu, post the # here and I'll call them. Got a week to get everything together.
    Mahalo, L.R.
    Aloha, Kauai Cycle and Tour is in Kapaa and they have rentals. 821-2115. 4th of July ride is the Power Line Race. Princeville to Wailua through the heart of Kauai!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mahalo nui for the 4/11...

Hey neimac,
    Yeah,I started doing some searches for Kauai and found their link in mtb Hawaii site. Also found Kauai outfitters in Poipu. My son and I will probably try to ride one day, is that Kapaa trail easy enough to find and ride by ourselves? Or will the guys over there (Kauai Cycle) fill us in? Haven't been Kauai in about 5 years., we're gonna have a blast ! Hope that the south shore gets a good swell. The race sounds awesome, is that the trails that link together from Hanalei side ? Good luck, maybe we can check it out . We won't race though. Anyway, mahalo again for the help.
    Aloha ka'kou, L.R.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 57clydesdale
    Hey neimac,
    Yeah,I started doing some searches for Kauai and found their link in mtb Hawaii site. Also found Kauai outfitters in Poipu. My son and I will probably try to ride one day, is that Kapaa trail easy enough to find and ride by ourselves? Or will the guys over there (Kauai Cycle) fill us in? Haven't been Kauai in about 5 years., we're gonna have a blast ! Hope that the south shore gets a good swell. The race sounds awesome, is that the trails that link together from Hanalei side ? Good luck, maybe we can check it out . We won't race though. Anyway, mahalo again for the help.
    Aloha ka'kou, L.R.
    Aloha, finding trails will be tough for the malahine. there are some mapped trails like Kuilau and Mo'olepe and Nounou in Wailua you might want to check out. I ride them all the time. Kauai Cycle and Tour will fill you in but most of all they don't want you to get lost! they will keep it safe. hope the surf is up! enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

You mean malihini...

Aloha, finding trails will be tough for the malahine. there are some mapped trails like Kuilau and Mo'olepe and Nounou in Wailua you might want to check out. I ride them all the time. Kauai Cycle and Tour will fill you in but most of all they don't want you to get lost! they will keep it safe. hope the surf is up! enjoy.
    Neimac,
    Yeah, we'll talk to the guys about those trails you mentioned. Thanks , I've been going to Kauai since 1976, just don't know about the mtn biking stuff. I was hoping to hook up with your guys regular ride , but since get race that Sunday, maybe we'll try a different day. Are the trails dry over there lately? O'ahu has been really wet, although some guys are reporting good conditions on the Southwest side(Makakilo). The people I'm staying with get computer, so I'll post when I get over there next week. Thanks again.
    L.R.

mtbr member

Wet is not he word!

10/4 LR-Yes it is wet, greasy wet, like i said every sunday except the 4th we ride from the kapaa beach park. we'll do 30+ single track. aloha

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by neimac View Post
    10/4 LR-Yes it is wet, greasy wet, like i said every sunday except the 4th we ride from the kapaa beach park. we'll do 30+ single track. aloha
    A looooong time since this thread was last posted on but does the Sunday ride still happen?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    A looooong time since this thread was last posted on but does the Sunday ride still happen?
    "Holy ancient-thread revival, Batman"

mtbr member
    9am meet at Lydgate Park then off to Kalepa Mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks very much for coming back to me. Sorry I missed you today, only just picked up your reply. Do you ride any other days mid week? I'd hoped to sample some single track but head home on Thursday.

mtbr member
    so, you are here on Kauai now? My bike is in the shop right now so I'm not riding until Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    so, you are here on Kauai now?
    Yes that's right. Been here a few days, lovin the island, head back Thursday though.

My bike is in the shop right now so I'm not riding until Friday.
    Thats a shame, Looks like I'll miss riding this time. I'll have to try and ride with you if I ever make it here again; It's a long way from England, United Kingdom!

let me know if you're ever in the UK and need a ride guide around the surrey hills - some great single track there (not quite as warm as here though!)

mtbr member
    10-4

mtbr member
    Ill be making the trip to Kauai on the 16th from California, if anyone has any info to share re: rentals, trails to ride, trails to avoid, any locals looking to guide someone, etc., please do share!

edit: Ill be staying in Koloa

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll be on Kauai January 4th through the 12th with my bike, will the Sunday ride still be happening. We stay in Kapaa, the Wailua side. Thanks

Louie

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'll be in Kauai January 14-23 with my bike, staying around Kekaha i believe. I've googled and youtubed some trails, but does anyone know if there's anything decent to ride around that area? Or better yet, a local? Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll be there this Sat 12/28-1/6 at Moloaa Bay, I need to get some miles. I'll check out
    Kauai Cycles to rent a bike and get some trail info. If anyone knows anything close to me on the NE side to get a couple of hrs. feel free to chime in. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    9am meet at Lydgate Park then off to Kalepa Mountain.
    I'll be in Kauai for 3+ weeks for work starting mid-May and am planning to bring my bike and ride on my days off. You guys still meet on Sundays at 9am? How about other days of the week too? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast