Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: mtb on Kauai?

  1. #1
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,265

    New question here. mtb on Kauai?

    has anyone ridden on Kauai? I'll be there in June for a week and would love to ride. Lemme know if you've got some trials to recommend.

    thanks,
    HW

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    has anyone ridden on Kauai? I'll be there in June for a week and would love to ride. Lemme know if you've got some trials to recommend.

    thanks,
    HW
    Find a book called "Mountain Biking the Hawaiian Islands". It lists trails and bike shops. I got mine from Amazon.com.

  3. #3
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    has anyone ridden on Kauai? I'll be there in June for a week and would love to ride. Lemme know if you've got some trials to recommend.

    thanks,
    HW
    Hey Hollywood,
    We'll have a report on Kauai soon if somebody from there doesn't speak up in the meantime.
    For now consider that the State lands are were you'll be riding so check this out.
    http://www.hawaiitrails.org/island.asp?island=Kauai
    Maybe look at the Powerline trail as it's a popular one.

    The book mentioned before.
    http://bikehawaii.com/

    More later,
    Eric

  4. #4
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,265
    thanks!!! (nm)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65

    From Kauai

    Every Sunday at the Kapaa Beach Park at 0800 hours for 25+ miles of Kauai's finest single track. I hope this isn't too late.
    Last edited by neimac; 06-18-2004 at 09:41 PM. Reason: wrong information

  6. #6
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,265

    Bonking ... not feelin' well d'oh!

    Quote Originally Posted by neimac
    Every Sunday at the Kapaa Beach Park at 0800 hours for 25+ miles of Kauai's finest single track. I hope this isn't too late.

    thanks, but I've been back on the mainland for almost a week. That would have been cool knowing before I left, but that just means I'll have to come back I was pretty much disuaded from riding after calling around to the shops. I was told that singletrack (hiking trails) are off-limits and that I would be limited to dirt roads. And the rental bikes were "so-so". I chose the ocean instead, never did ride. But your Sunday ride sounds great! Damn!

    Jeff

    PS - I was staying in Poipu.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    78

    Bike rentals near Kapaa or Poipu...

    Quote Originally Posted by neimac
    Every Sunday at the Kapaa Beach Park at 0800 hours for 25+ miles of Kauai's finest single track. I hope this isn't too late.
    Howzit Neimac,
    We're coming Kauai, next week Monday to surf and stuff. Only bike shop I found was Bicycle John's. Haven't called them yet, do you know if they rent bikes. Anyway, we plan to surf south shore , with a possible wakeboard day on the Wailua river. Not sure if we'll still be around for the Sunday, 4th of July ride . Hope so. If you know of a shop near Kapaa or Poipu, post the # here and I'll call them. Got a week to get everything together.
    Mahalo, L.R.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    thanks, but I've been back on the mainland for almost a week. That would have been cool knowing before I left, but that just means I'll have to come back I was pretty much disuaded from riding after calling around to the shops. I was told that singletrack (hiking trails) are off-limits and that I would be limited to dirt roads. And the rental bikes were "so-so". I chose the ocean instead, never did ride. But your Sunday ride sounds great! Damn!

    Jeff

    PS - I was staying in Poipu.
    Sorry we missed you. Sunday is still on and try Kauai Cycle and Tour next time. They are in Kapaa. Fathers Day we rode 35+ miles of valley, mountain and beach on the east side of Kauai.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by 57clydesdale
    Howzit Neimac,
    We're coming Kauai, next week Monday to surf and stuff. Only bike shop I found was Bicycle John's. Haven't called them yet, do you know if they rent bikes. Anyway, we plan to surf south shore , with a possible wakeboard day on the Wailua river. Not sure if we'll still be around for the Sunday, 4th of July ride . Hope so. If you know of a shop near Kapaa or Poipu, post the # here and I'll call them. Got a week to get everything together.
    Mahalo, L.R.
    Aloha, Kauai Cycle and Tour is in Kapaa and they have rentals. 821-2115. 4th of July ride is the Power Line Race. Princeville to Wailua through the heart of Kauai!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    78

    Mahalo nui for the 4/11...

    Hey neimac,
    Yeah,I started doing some searches for Kauai and found their link in mtb Hawaii site. Also found Kauai outfitters in Poipu. My son and I will probably try to ride one day, is that Kapaa trail easy enough to find and ride by ourselves? Or will the guys over there (Kauai Cycle) fill us in? Haven't been Kauai in about 5 years., we're gonna have a blast ! Hope that the south shore gets a good swell. The race sounds awesome, is that the trails that link together from Hanalei side ? Good luck, maybe we can check it out . We won't race though. Anyway, mahalo again for the help.
    Aloha ka'kou, L.R.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by 57clydesdale
    Hey neimac,
    Yeah,I started doing some searches for Kauai and found their link in mtb Hawaii site. Also found Kauai outfitters in Poipu. My son and I will probably try to ride one day, is that Kapaa trail easy enough to find and ride by ourselves? Or will the guys over there (Kauai Cycle) fill us in? Haven't been Kauai in about 5 years., we're gonna have a blast ! Hope that the south shore gets a good swell. The race sounds awesome, is that the trails that link together from Hanalei side ? Good luck, maybe we can check it out . We won't race though. Anyway, mahalo again for the help.
    Aloha ka'kou, L.R.
    Aloha, finding trails will be tough for the malahine. there are some mapped trails like Kuilau and Mo'olepe and Nounou in Wailua you might want to check out. I ride them all the time. Kauai Cycle and Tour will fill you in but most of all they don't want you to get lost! they will keep it safe. hope the surf is up! enjoy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    78

    You mean malihini...

    Quote Originally Posted by neimac
    Aloha, finding trails will be tough for the malahine. there are some mapped trails like Kuilau and Mo'olepe and Nounou in Wailua you might want to check out. I ride them all the time. Kauai Cycle and Tour will fill you in but most of all they don't want you to get lost! they will keep it safe. hope the surf is up! enjoy.
    Neimac,
    Yeah, we'll talk to the guys about those trails you mentioned. Thanks , I've been going to Kauai since 1976, just don't know about the mtn biking stuff. I was hoping to hook up with your guys regular ride , but since get race that Sunday, maybe we'll try a different day. Are the trails dry over there lately? O'ahu has been really wet, although some guys are reporting good conditions on the Southwest side(Makakilo). The people I'm staying with get computer, so I'll post when I get over there next week. Thanks again.
    L.R.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65

    Wet is not he word!

    10/4 LR-Yes it is wet, greasy wet, like i said every sunday except the 4th we ride from the kapaa beach park. we'll do 30+ single track. aloha

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by neimac View Post
    10/4 LR-Yes it is wet, greasy wet, like i said every sunday except the 4th we ride from the kapaa beach park. we'll do 30+ single track. aloha
    A looooong time since this thread was last posted on but does the Sunday ride still happen?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    A looooong time since this thread was last posted on but does the Sunday ride still happen?
    "Holy ancient-thread revival, Batman"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    9am meet at Lydgate Park then off to Kalepa Mountain.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Thanks very much for coming back to me. Sorry I missed you today, only just picked up your reply. Do you ride any other days mid week? I'd hoped to sample some single track but head home on Thursday.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    so, you are here on Kauai now? My bike is in the shop right now so I'm not riding until Friday.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by neimac View Post
    so, you are here on Kauai now?
    Yes that's right. Been here a few days, lovin the island, head back Thursday though.

    Quote Originally Posted by neimac View Post
    My bike is in the shop right now so I'm not riding until Friday.
    Thats a shame, Looks like I'll miss riding this time. I'll have to try and ride with you if I ever make it here again; It's a long way from England, United Kingdom!

    let me know if you're ever in the UK and need a ride guide around the surrey hills - some great single track there (not quite as warm as here though!)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    65
    10-4

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,033
    Ill be making the trip to Kauai on the 16th from California, if anyone has any info to share re: rentals, trails to ride, trails to avoid, any locals looking to guide someone, etc., please do share!

    edit: Ill be staying in Koloa

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    I'll be on Kauai January 4th through the 12th with my bike, will the Sunday ride still be happening. We stay in Kapaa, the Wailua side. Thanks

    Louie

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    32
    I'll be in Kauai January 14-23 with my bike, staying around Kekaha i believe. I've googled and youtubed some trails, but does anyone know if there's anything decent to ride around that area? Or better yet, a local? Any advice is appreciated.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    59
    I'll be there this Sat 12/28-1/6 at Moloaa Bay, I need to get some miles. I'll check out
    Kauai Cycles to rent a bike and get some trail info. If anyone knows anything close to me on the NE side to get a couple of hrs. feel free to chime in. Thanks.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kleinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by neimac View Post
    9am meet at Lydgate Park then off to Kalepa Mountain.
    I'll be in Kauai for 3+ weeks for work starting mid-May and am planning to bring my bike and ride on my days off. You guys still meet on Sundays at 9am? How about other days of the week too? Thanks.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinhead View Post
    I'll be in Kauai for 3+ weeks for work starting mid-May and am planning to bring my bike and ride on my days off. You guys still meet on Sundays at 9am? How about other days of the week too? Thanks.
    Hey Kleinhead,
    I'm visiting Kauai May 18-24. Also curious if this local ride from Lydgate Park still happens...
    If not, it would be great to coordinate a ride somehow.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kleinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    Hey Kleinhead,
    I'm visiting Kauai May 18-24. Also curious if this local ride from Lydgate Park still happens...
    If not, it would be great to coordinate a ride somehow.
    addATX -

    I haven't received any responses to this thread or a couple of PMs that I sent. We can coordinate though -- I'll have a better idea of my free time in the next couple of weeks.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kleinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    46
    I'm here in Kauai and have 3 days off work this weekend -- anyone want to get together and ride?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    @kleinhead did you get to ride while you were in Kauai? We are spending 2 weeks there soon and would like to ride for a few days?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by markchilcutt View Post
    @kleinhead did you get to ride while you were in Kauai? We are spending 2 weeks there soon and would like to ride for a few days?
    I rode two days in a six day trip.
    I rented from Kauai Cycle in Kapaa.

    Good trails near Anahola Beach one day; short out-back on Kuilau/Moalepe the other.
    I wasn't able to explore anything in Waimea Canyon, but I think there is good riding there.

    My opinion: Definitely worth bringing shoes/helmet/gear/pedals, etc to rent and ride while there. But, I was glad I decided it wasn't worth the trouble of bringing my own bike for a short trip like that.
    Kauai Cycle had a decent Specialized full suspension - not brand new technology, couple years old, but it was sufficient for what I did, for sure.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Great news addATX!!!
    Did you rent a rack from them as well or were all these rides within where you were staying?
    We are staying in Kaapa. there is 4 of us and would need a trunk rack for a mid size rental car i guess?
    My wife and 2 daughters are intermediet/begginers so i want to keep it mellow but thought this would be a great way to see parts of the island?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    425
    I lived on Kauai (South Shore) and did a lot of XC style riding all over, mostly exploring with my dogs on a fat bike, not really the competitive singletrack stuff I do here in Oregon. Having said that, the ride from Poipu to and past Mahalapu is fantastic. Road many times from Poipu to Lihue just linking up beaches, cane roads, single track ... anything I could find. Riding the coffee fields up by Kalaheo is fantastic. The singletrack out of Kapaa is great too. There are cane fields all over the island that are fun to explore but, for me, the best part was getting on a fatbike, exploring, finding beaches, going swimming and just cruising around. There is a lot of competition on the island, though if you want those kinds of trails. Be aware that it can get really muddy and slipper the more "inside" the island you ride. North Shore is often a lot wetter as well. South and West dryer. Some great riding up Waimea as well and if you want a fun road challenge, ride from Kekaha all the way up to Waimea's lookouts and then back down ... tough climb but great descent.
    Are you really sure about that?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by markchilcutt View Post
    Great news addATX!!!
    Did you rent a rack from them as well or were all these rides within where you were staying?
    We are staying in Kaapa. there is 4 of us and would need a trunk rack for a mid size rental car i guess?
    My wife and 2 daughters are intermediet/begginers so i want to keep it mellow but thought this would be a great way to see parts of the island?
    With intermediates/beginners in tow and staying in Kapaa, then you're in pretty perfect shape.

    I was staying in Lihue, so yes, I rented a trunk rack from the shop that I used on a rental car. (the rack was cheap to rent). But, both rides I mentioned would have been within riding distance from Kapaa for me.

    The whole crew will easily be able to ride from Kapaa, along the shore via a mostly paved bike path all the way to the singletrack at Anahola Beach.
    For the other ride, my guess is that they would not want to climb the road from Kapaa to get to the Kuilau trailhead. But you probably could.
    If you're an above-average rider, the trails will be technically pretty easy for you. But, they will be pretty perfect for the others, assuming it's not their first MTB ride ever.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18
    Perfect!!
    I ride mellow single track in Utah with my girls and they do great with it.
    I do some 25 mile races when i get the opportunity but really i just enjoy being out riding with family and friends!
    Thanks for all the helpfull info you guys (addATX and MSLKauai) The best part about this is it was my wifes idea to ride Kauai and we have a full 14 days to explore!
    This will be our 2 visit to the island so we already have some time spent exploring but i am thinking no better way to explore and enjoy than in the saddle!!
    My wife is dead set on doing a 8 mile round trip hike on the far north side where car traffic ends. I guess its pretty popular and takes you out toward Napauli coast? Any thoughts? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    With intermediates/beginners in tow and staying in Kapaa, then you're in pretty perfect shape.

    I was staying in Lihue, so yes, I rented a trunk rack from the shop that I used on a rental car. (the rack was cheap to rent). But, both rides I mentioned would have been within riding distance from Kapaa for me.

    The whole crew will easily be able to ride from Kapaa, along the shore via a mostly paved bike path all the way to the singletrack at Anahola Beach.
    For the other ride, my guess is that they would not want to climb the road from Kapaa to get to the Kuilau trailhead. But you probably could.
    If you're an above-average rider, the trails will be technically pretty easy for you. But, they will be pretty perfect for the others, assuming it's not their first MTB ride ever.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by markchilcutt View Post
    Perfect!!
    I ride mellow single track in Utah with my girls and they do great with it.
    I do some 25 mile races when i get the opportunity but really i just enjoy being out riding with family and friends!
    Thanks for all the helpfull info you guys (addATX and MSLKauai) The best part about this is it was my wifes idea to ride Kauai and we have a full 14 days to explore!
    This will be our 2 visit to the island so we already have some time spent exploring but i am thinking no better way to explore and enjoy than in the saddle!!
    My wife is dead set on doing a 8 mile round trip hike on the far north side where car traffic ends. I guess its pretty popular and takes you out toward Napauli coast? Any thoughts? Thanks
    Yep, definitely do that hike. It's awesome.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,426
    Quote Originally Posted by markchilcutt View Post
    My wife is dead set on doing a 8 mile round trip hike on the far north side where car traffic ends. I guess its pretty popular and takes you out toward Napauli coast? Any thoughts? Thanks
    My wife and I did the full 11mi (one way) to Kalalau Beach last summer. One of the most amazing trips I've ever taken for so many reasons.

    There's a beach (Hanakapi'ai) about 2 miles in which is quite beautiful, but there are signs everywhere warning you to stay out of the water. People down pretty regularly there. From this beach, a branch off trail leads another 2 miles inland to a sweet waterfall. We didn't check it out, what with 9 miles to go and no real sense of what lay ahead, but I hear it's a cool spot. 2 miles back to the beach, then another 2 back to the trailhead at Ke'e.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    My wife and I are coming to Kauai next month and bringing our bikes. We currently run Kenda Smallblock Eight tires for the dry hardpack conditions where we live. Any suggestions for tires? I don't want to taste dirt all day. Also hope to do the Sunday ride. Is this a show and go, ride your own speed kind of ride?

Similar Threads

  1. The MTB mentallity (rant)
    By bob in forum Passion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 10:32 AM
  2. Need your best MTB skills drills
    By MTBmoose in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 08:31 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 11:50 AM
  4. MTB Magazine swap b/w USA/Canada & Australia
    By gravitydude in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 01:47 AM
  5. Training - How do you go about it for MTB?
    By sea otter in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •