Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mtb on Kauai?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinhead View Post
    I'll be in Kauai for 3+ weeks for work starting mid-May and am planning to bring my bike and ride on my days off. You guys still meet on Sundays at 9am? How about other days of the week too? Thanks.
    Hey Kleinhead,
    I'm visiting Kauai May 18-24. Also curious if this local ride from Lydgate Park still happens...
    If not, it would be great to coordinate a ride somehow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    Hey Kleinhead,
    I'm visiting Kauai May 18-24. Also curious if this local ride from Lydgate Park still happens...
    If not, it would be great to coordinate a ride somehow.
    addATX -

I haven't received any responses to this thread or a couple of PMs that I sent. We can coordinate though -- I'll have a better idea of my free time in the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm here in Kauai and have 3 days off work this weekend -- anyone want to get together and ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @kleinhead did you get to ride while you were in Kauai? We are spending 2 weeks there soon and would like to ride for a few days?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by markchilcutt View Post
    @kleinhead did you get to ride while you were in Kauai? We are spending 2 weeks there soon and would like to ride for a few days?
    I rode two days in a six day trip.
    I rented from Kauai Cycle in Kapaa.

Good trails near Anahola Beach one day; short out-back on Kuilau/Moalepe the other.
    I wasn't able to explore anything in Waimea Canyon, but I think there is good riding there.

My opinion: Definitely worth bringing shoes/helmet/gear/pedals, etc to rent and ride while there. But, I was glad I decided it wasn't worth the trouble of bringing my own bike for a short trip like that.
    Kauai Cycle had a decent Specialized full suspension - not brand new technology, couple years old, but it was sufficient for what I did, for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great news addATX!!!
    Did you rent a rack from them as well or were all these rides within where you were staying?
    We are staying in Kaapa. there is 4 of us and would need a trunk rack for a mid size rental car i guess?
    My wife and 2 daughters are intermediet/begginers so i want to keep it mellow but thought this would be a great way to see parts of the island?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I lived on Kauai (South Shore) and did a lot of XC style riding all over, mostly exploring with my dogs on a fat bike, not really the competitive singletrack stuff I do here in Oregon. Having said that, the ride from Poipu to and past Mahalapu is fantastic. Road many times from Poipu to Lihue just linking up beaches, cane roads, single track ... anything I could find. Riding the coffee fields up by Kalaheo is fantastic. The singletrack out of Kapaa is great too. There are cane fields all over the island that are fun to explore but, for me, the best part was getting on a fatbike, exploring, finding beaches, going swimming and just cruising around. There is a lot of competition on the island, though if you want those kinds of trails. Be aware that it can get really muddy and slipper the more "inside" the island you ride. North Shore is often a lot wetter as well. South and West dryer. Some great riding up Waimea as well and if you want a fun road challenge, ride from Kekaha all the way up to Waimea's lookouts and then back down ... tough climb but great descent.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great news addATX!!!
    Did you rent a rack from them as well or were all these rides within where you were staying?
    We are staying in Kaapa. there is 4 of us and would need a trunk rack for a mid size rental car i guess?
    My wife and 2 daughters are intermediet/begginers so i want to keep it mellow but thought this would be a great way to see parts of the island?
    With intermediates/beginners in tow and staying in Kapaa, then you're in pretty perfect shape.

I was staying in Lihue, so yes, I rented a trunk rack from the shop that I used on a rental car. (the rack was cheap to rent). But, both rides I mentioned would have been within riding distance from Kapaa for me.

The whole crew will easily be able to ride from Kapaa, along the shore via a mostly paved bike path all the way to the singletrack at Anahola Beach.
    For the other ride, my guess is that they would not want to climb the road from Kapaa to get to the Kuilau trailhead. But you probably could.
    If you're an above-average rider, the trails will be technically pretty easy for you. But, they will be pretty perfect for the others, assuming it's not their first MTB ride ever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Perfect!!
    I ride mellow single track in Utah with my girls and they do great with it.
    I do some 25 mile races when i get the opportunity but really i just enjoy being out riding with family and friends!
    Thanks for all the helpfull info you guys (addATX and MSLKauai) The best part about this is it was my wifes idea to ride Kauai and we have a full 14 days to explore!
    This will be our 2 visit to the island so we already have some time spent exploring but i am thinking no better way to explore and enjoy than in the saddle!!
    My wife is dead set on doing a 8 mile round trip hike on the far north side where car traffic ends. I guess its pretty popular and takes you out toward Napauli coast? Any thoughts? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    With intermediates/beginners in tow and staying in Kapaa, then you're in pretty perfect shape.

I was staying in Lihue, so yes, I rented a trunk rack from the shop that I used on a rental car. (the rack was cheap to rent). But, both rides I mentioned would have been within riding distance from Kapaa for me.

The whole crew will easily be able to ride from Kapaa, along the shore via a mostly paved bike path all the way to the singletrack at Anahola Beach.
    For the other ride, my guess is that they would not want to climb the road from Kapaa to get to the Kuilau trailhead. But you probably could.
    If you're an above-average rider, the trails will be technically pretty easy for you. But, they will be pretty perfect for the others, assuming it's not their first MTB ride ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Perfect!!
    I ride mellow single track in Utah with my girls and they do great with it.
    I do some 25 mile races when i get the opportunity but really i just enjoy being out riding with family and friends!
    Thanks for all the helpfull info you guys (addATX and MSLKauai) The best part about this is it was my wifes idea to ride Kauai and we have a full 14 days to explore!
    This will be our 2 visit to the island so we already have some time spent exploring but i am thinking no better way to explore and enjoy than in the saddle!!
    My wife is dead set on doing a 8 mile round trip hike on the far north side where car traffic ends. I guess its pretty popular and takes you out toward Napauli coast? Any thoughts? Thanks
    Yep, definitely do that hike. It's awesome.

mtbr member
    My wife and I did the full 11mi (one way) to Kalalau Beach last summer. One of the most amazing trips I've ever taken for so many reasons.

There's a beach (Hanakapi'ai) about 2 miles in which is quite beautiful, but there are signs everywhere warning you to stay out of the water. People down pretty regularly there. From this beach, a branch off trail leads another 2 miles inland to a sweet waterfall. We didn't check it out, what with 9 miles to go and no real sense of what lay ahead, but I hear it's a cool spot. 2 miles back to the beach, then another 2 back to the trailhead at Ke'e.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My wife and I are coming to Kauai next month and bringing our bikes. We currently run Kenda Smallblock Eight tires for the dry hardpack conditions where we live. Any suggestions for tires? I don't want to taste dirt all day. Also hope to do the Sunday ride. Is this a show and go, ride your own speed kind of ride?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2