Thread: Molokai

Canuck on this Rock

Molokai

Anybody been there recently to ride? I have some vacation time next week and looking to ride for a couple of days for some R&R.

mtbr member
    Haven't been there in years. Some awesome riding to be found when I was there though. Not necessarily single track but extremely scenic!!

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~grant/Mo...okai_pics.html

Sorry, wish I had better, more current info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Would love to ride there, been there at least 50 times by heli but no biking. Wishing I could after seeing some of the trails from the air.

Canuck on this Rock
    I wonder if its worth just taking a chance and talking with the locals when I get there, I am just looking for some trails to ride on for a day or 2.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Is there a bike shop on the island?
    Try these guys...http://www.bikehawaii.com/molokaibicycle/ they might be able to help, and let
    us know how it went.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    was there a couple months ago. rented two bikes and two Bob trailers, here's the video...
    Molokai is great! Talk to Philip, owner of Mokokai Bikes, about trails, I heard there was some good mountain biking trails but we were just on the roads mostly.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/98259/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klivic
    was there a couple months ago. rented two bikes and two Bob trailers, here's the video...
    Molokai is great! Talk to Philip, owner of Mokokai Bikes, about trails, I heard there was some good mountain biking trails but we were just on the roads mostly.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/98259/
    Wow, klivic, awesome video/montage/production. I love that place, if I could find work, I'd quit my job now and move there and do almost anything...........Thanks for sharing.

Canuck on this Rock
    excellent video! I'm with you gmats...if I could live over there, I would.

~~~~~~~~
    Here's some info

Only minor scratches for Ariz. man lost in Molokai forest after a wrong turn
    POSTED: July 22, 2009

KAUNAKAKAI - A 68-year-old Flagstaff, Ariz., man suffered some scrapes and scratches but no serious injury after spending Sunday night in a Molokai forest area before making his way out Monday afternoon, a fire official said.

Kaunakakai, Hoolehua and Pukoo fire companies along with a rescue crew aboard the Fire Department's Air One helicopter had been searching forest roads and trails around the Waikolu Lookout for the missing bicyclist when they got word at 3:43 p.m. Monday that he was safe, said Kaunakakai fire Capt. Don Meschter.

After riding a rented bicycle up to the lookout area Sunday, the man apparently missed the road that would have taken him down to Kamiloloa, instead traveling farther east on a forestry road, Meschter said. He said the man ended up walking through Kawela Gulch before reaching Kamehameha V Highway, where he was picked up by a passer-by Monday and driven back to Kaunakakai.

The man's wife, who had reported him missing Sunday night when he didn't return from the bike ride, called to report he was safely back, Meschter said.

http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/521311.html

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I used to sail my boat over there from Oahu in the mid/late 80's. I always stayed at Haleolono
    harbor, and would walk up to town and my ex and I would hitch everywhere. We never had one
    local car pass us by without giving us a ride. Only once did we not get to where we were going...
    that's because we got invited to a party and stayed the night eating and drinking and listening
    to some locals playing music.

When I got out of the Coast Guard, I seriously looked at moving there, but there just weren't
    any jobs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    we also fantasized about moving to Molokai and having a sweet garden and shooting the axis deer, which is excellent eating, like filet mignon. The best situation would be to have an internet business or be able to work remotely. My brother works in tech industry in Seattle and he wants to move to Molokai, build his own house, and is considering setting himself up with some income as mentioned. Great story about the sailing and hitching! Spicoli, I haven't met you yet (i don't think), but I've seen a bunch of your posts on dhhawaii...we'll meet one of these days. Thanks airwreck for sending the article, that's crazy, his wife must have been freakin'! And airwreck, my parents are retiring in maui, they close on a little condo in Kihea this month, so my wife and I will definitely be coming out to Maui and hopefully with the bikes, look forward to rrrrrrrrriding with you!!!! (-hammerschmidt)

mtbr member
    Does anybody know what the status is on Molokai Ranch Property? I know the Bigwigs blew everything. I am sure there is skeletal security, but everybody needs to hunt too- and I don't mean just for sport.You know what I mean.

I use to stay in Mauna Loa, pretty much lost touch w everybody. But damn, the riding was so good- excellent free form to be had without the now overgrown trails- not that they were ever necessary- "trails" are everywhere.

Besides MRP, I had a couple of personal routes off the top of the island, of course heading dry side. I miss those days, the rides like no other and still pine heavily for what was some of the most incredible- often plain sublime riding ever. Ted? Daniel Gomez? I too would love to return.