Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Mauna Kea in Jan?

I'll be in Hilo in Jan, and I am thinking about attempting to summit Mauna Kea, but I have no idea if the weather will cooperate. Is it possible during that season?

If weather is bad (or I don't get the training in) i'll be trying to find some MTB trails. Either way, i'll need to rent a bike, where should I look?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Hilo Bike Hub (B.I. guys?)?
    January could be fine, could be winter storm warnings...impossible to say now.

I Ride Bikes
    Gmats, would probably have a better idea of what the weather is like during that time on Mauna Kea. He knows that mountain well. =)

You plan on doing the full ride from sea level to summit?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    I'll be in Hilo in Jan, and I am thinking about attempting to summit Mauna Kea, but I have no idea if the weather will cooperate. Is it possible during that season?

If weather is bad (or I don't get the training in) i'll be trying to find some MTB trails. Either way, i'll need to rent a bike, where should I look?
    Mauna Kea Weather Center - Road Conditions

I rode from Kona to about 10,000 ft with knobbies....then my granny died on the steep part up to the summit plateau...

Watch the conditions as your trip nears...helps alot with understanding what goes on up there.

Hilo to MK is shorter so should go alot easier.