Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maui Trip: Makawao, Skyline, Poli Poli or other???

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Luther 
#1 ·
I am going to be in Maui in a couple of weeks and want to take some time to rent a bike and hit some trails. I am a typical, recreational rider who likes to go fast but am a little more on the XC/Am side of thing, I guess. I am going to be near Wailea beach. I was curious as to what my best options were for riding. It seems that Skyline is more of a drive to the top and ride down the moonscape type of ride, correct? I am assuming one would need a driver in order to do this. Whereas Makawao and Poli Poli are more forested singletrack rides. Can anyone enlighten me on how long it would take to get to these places from Wailea Beach and then ride them?

Thanks In Advance

#2 ·
From Wailea to Poli Poli (Kula Forest Reserve) is a little more than an hour drive, Makawao is a less than an hour. Skyline descends into the Kula Forest, you can ride up it then come down it and turn off onto Mamane. Below that are Boundary and Redwood trails, 3 miles down then 3 miles back up. Try going down Boundary, then up Redwood, and continue up Skyline, then down Mamane for a 2-4 hour grueling ride. Waiakoa loop is seperated from the other Kula trails and currently in need of repairs but still rideable. Kula Forest is high elevation, can be cold and wet, but well drained soils. Makawao is quite muddy currently and likely to stay that way for the winter and spring, brown ice where the dirt is hard packed. Check out Facebook, Maui Mountain Bike Coalition.

#5 ·
FYI, I rented a Kona Process from Krank Cycles and rode Makawao. It took me a lot longer to find the trails based on the directions I had. There's not much signage to get you there. However, once I got there it was well worth it. I was not muddy the day I went and there were several people riding. It was an excellent experience. Thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.