~~~~~~~~

Maui Spring '14 report

There's a lot of mtb stuff going on here on the island of Maui, it is spring but we are still getting a dose of winter cold and rain. Unfortunately the go to trails for this type of weather have been closed when we need them the most. Due to road work on the Waipoli access road the Kula Forest Reserve trail system, aka Poli Poli, is closed from mid March until the end of May. Recent storms have probably added more work to that project.

The Makawao Forest Reserve trail network is slowly transforming into the Kahakapao Recreation Area. In addition to the downhill-flow trail project which began in July of 2013, we can look forward to improvements to all the existing trails, plus construction of a kids area, a pumptrack and a skills/session zone. There will also be an additional parking lot and ADA parking and restrooms. Tree removal should be starting soon, and later this summer the professional crews will be here to complete this phase.

For the latest info check in on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/MauiMountainBike or the website, home - Maui Mountain Bike Coalition

If you want to help the cause please join IMBA and select Maui Mountain Bike Coalition as the chapter. If you want to donate money, goods or services please go directly through the MMBC.

Also scheduled to open soon is the Maui Bike Park.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Interesting....I grew up in Pukalani. Moved when I joined the military. Back then the only thing going on with mtb was riding down the crater, lol. I might have to bring my bike with me when I come back for my brothers wedding in Sept.

mtbr member
    Awesome job wreck! Great news and info. Some day I know I'll make the pilgrimage over to ride some of your guys' sweet trails.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Lets go! I ready!
    Hiking is good for you, especially with a bike.