Thread: Maui Riding

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Maui Riding

Hello,

I am visiting from Colorado and was able to procure a few Trance's from a LBS and head up to Makawao. Wow, hey, good work to whoever is working on that. Lots of fun! A bit slippery with the leaves, but I was able to hit a lot of the features. We have miles of trail in Denver, but nothing quite like that. The only thing is that it took a few days before it even seemed dry enough. Is it always wet up there or what?

Soon, we'll be going up Piiholo...Waiakoa Loop etc. Any suggestions on what else to ride up that way?

Any suggestions on anything else to hit before we leave?

Also, if anyone here is heading to Denver, or CO in general, PM me and I can give you the scoop for that part of the world.

Mahalo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode waiakoa 3 days ago and it was powder dry and irritating.I'd skip that because it's short and feels like its uphill all the way.Ride the mamane trail or the boundary t
    rail.Boundary is a little longer so bring food tubes rain gear it can be cold this time of year.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thanks

Yeah thanks. I went up there today. Quite the drive.

I took the Boundary Trail all the way to the Ranger's cabin. That was interesting...a little rain forest, some awesome woods, and some neat canyons. I was surprised at how some sections were fairly primitive...just like riding on a bunch of lumpy sod. But, the woods sections were cool and I saw two boars!

Once I made it to the "Ranger Station" aka...shack, I took Redwood trail which a good climb. I then went up the campground, then up to the main road, then up to the top of the ridge and back down. Very dusty up there.

I wanted to hit some of the "freeride" stuff you see between switchbacks on the way back down Waiapoli road, but some of that looks pretty rutted etc., and in CO that's not good so I skipped it. I sort of regret it now thought. I wanted to hit Mamame and Waiakoa Loop, but I don't think we'll get back up there before we leave and today's ride was well over 15 miles.

I do hope to have one more trip over to Makawao though. Are you familiar with that? Muddy and wet, but pretty neat as well. Two loops and a bunch of features that some guys have built.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

... and if we just ... Pic

Here's a pic from yesterday. Guess where? Great stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maui Riding-mah00025-1-mtbpic.jpg  

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1
    Here's a pic from yesterday. Guess where? Great stuff!
    I made that.
    Here's a video taken there....http://vimeo.com/2818503

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Great!

Hey, those vids are great! Thanks for sending me the link. Great riding and I can show my buddies back home the entire line.

Great work again! That place is PRIMO! You have put a lot of time in there.

A few questions...

Is it wet up there most of the time?

How often do you have to clear the line due to downed trees/branches etc.?

Do you ever get static about the "features?" That is a huge problem in CO and we have to be very careful about it...although we just got approved for a bike park where we build to our hearts content.

And again, if you are ever in Denver or CO and need to know the best places etc., just give me a PM.

I am hoping to make it back up there one more time before we leave next week. I got some video, but nothing like you have in that link.

~~~~~~~~
    nice GL1, charging it!
    We had a odd stretch of dry winter weather up there, it's over now. Year round it's wet up there at least half the time, varying degrees of wet/saturation, sometimes the wet riding is fun.
    Let's just say the features are natural, the forest is introduced trees, and it has a tendency to disappear if it doesn't get ridden anyway. But for the most part the "success" of that terrain surviving is probably due to this policy...

always worried about the riding there getting too much attention but it's survived the collective

check this out too.

http://rideguidebike.mobilerider.com...video_id=22267 (click on the maui tab)

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mahalo

Went up there for the last run yesterday. I thought for sure it would be dry...not quite and I went down once on the "banana peel" leaves...not too bad. Had a blast though. Thank you all for the fun! I know what you mean about the fine line between sharing the good stuff and keeping it safe.

I think I hit most of it...except the big rock drop near the bottom...oh, and then I found your "gap" jump over the concrete ditch/ravine. Yeah, have fun with that one. I'm 34 with kids and a wife. But I would LOVE to see video or pics of someone clearing that. Oh, and then I also explored a little off the main road near the bottom. Tons down there too. Too much to hit.

Again, if any of you are ever in Denver or CO, let me know.

One parting shot. I think this was my favorite.

Mahalo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maui Riding-mah00047-1-_mtb_still_5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice shots.Yesterday was really slimy.I like the mud!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice vids and pics everyone, just started riding up there and love it
    Thanks to everyone you helps with those natural features that appear :-)
    Got a lot of work to do though before i can hit them all
    See ya up there