Thread: Maui in March

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Maui in March

Hi, I'm an experienced mountain biker from New England, and my wife and I be visiting Maui for the first time for a week in March, staying at the Marriott Ocean Club in Kaanapali. We'll have a rental car. I'd love to get a ride or two in during our stay, and was wondering if there are decent mountain bike rentals and trails available in the vicinity. I'd appreciate any information you guys could offer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They have rentals, but most people ride it on the road down the volcano. What people dont know is that there is a dirt trail that drop from10k top of volcano down to the bottom.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Crater Cycles rents mountain bikes, and can direct you to what's available to ride. There's not much where you will be staying in West Maui, and you probably won't get directilons to what is there, but ask about Poli Poli and Makawao Forest Reserve
    Maui Bike Rentals and Maui Bike Rides by Crater Cycles Bicycle Shop : Maui Bike Rentals by Crater Cycles.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    They have rentals, but most people ride it on the road down the volcano. What people dont know is that there is a dirt trail that drop from10k top of volcano down to the bottom.
    Uh, no. There IS a dirt road from the 10,000' summit that leads to some trails and more dirt road and trails down to around 4000'. My definition of "the bottom" would be the beach.

There is also West Maui Cycles in Lahaina where you might check on rentals and directions to the limited riding on that side. Like oldiemouldie said, check out Makawao Forest if you get a chance, it's about an hour drive from Kaanapali.

Just ride!
    The Makawao Forest trails have a lot trees down right now. Hopefully they will be clear by March

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I rented a bike from Crater cycle last week and rode the Kahakapao loop in the Makawao Forrest, we only ran into one set of down trees we had to walk the bikes over.
    I cant say enough good about the trail it was a blast! and Crater had some great bikes for rent.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am going to be mostly road riding in West Maui from February 13th to the 19th but would like to check out some trails. Best riding in the area is Makawao Forest? I would like to climb up Haleakala to the top and down...any trails?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I am going to be mostly road riding in West Maui from February 13th to the 19th but would like to check out some trails. Best riding in the area is Makawao Forest? I would like to climb up Haleakala to the top and down...any trails?
    Makawao forest is likely to be sloppy through the winter and spring months. The trails in the Kula forest reserve offer the best dirt this time of year. You can certainly ride up Haleakala and then down Skyline trail to the Kula forest trails. If you are staying in West Maui stop by West Maui Cycles and check in with them.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am just going to road ride. The West Maui loop is going to be be my workout. Be back by noon to hang out on the beach

Yes, that's fonetic
    It's a great loop...the Maui Metric Century does the West Maui circuit every year. You'll love Mr. Steepie.
    If you get some extra time and want to check out Makawao Forest (it's not always sloppy in winter) drop a pm and I'll try to hook you up if it's not a daddy weekend.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Just saw your post. It would be fun to check out the Mak Forest but no time for that on this trip. I did the West Maui loop 3x, both ways, and enjoyed it. The wind is challenging and today the rain created some challenges. Nonetheless, a beautiful ride. Great riding except for the 8 miles of broken cement. Mr. Steepy didn't seem too bad but the 330 descent is a hoot. Next year I will hit you up...guys had Boss Frog said there is some mountain biking near Lahina that is good...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Aloha, The Kaanapali Ocean Club resort, where you are staying, is less than 10 minutes from West Maui Cycles bike shop in Lahaina. They will set you up with a Specialized mountain bike rental and bike car rack if you need it. Rental bike are available by the day or with multi-day and weekly rates. Stop in the shop and talk story to find out about the best rides. Check out the bike rentals at westmauicycles.com/Maui-bicycle-rental-shop/ For a short ride and a little history, ride the trail out to the petroglyph at Olowalu. Take a look at West Maui Cycles blog for ride descriptions.

mtbr member
    Hey I just saw this post. I have one with the same name haha. I'm also from New England. when will you be in Maui?

On another note, if any of you are on Maui and want to ride Wednesday the 20th????

I'll be staying in a hostel, I'm in Maui on business and took a day at the end for myself. Want to ride in Makawao, will rent from Crater, only issue.... I'm 25 in April and really don't want to cough up the money to rent a car for one day to get to the trails...

Sixpack of the local IPA to whoever wants to ride with me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Icebox, check your pms. Riding on the 20th is a possibility for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I wish I had seen this thread a bit earlier, just got back from Maui and did some amazing road rides (West Maui Loop, Haleakala) and saw some good Mt Bikes for rent both at West Maui Cycles and South Maui Bikes, I couldn't seem to find any info on trails to ride said bikes... oh well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I wish I had seen this thread a bit earlier, just got back from Maui and did some amazing road rides (West Maui Loop, Haleakala) and saw some good Mt Bikes for rent both at West Maui Cycles and South Maui Bikes, I couldn't seem to find any info on trails to ride said bikes... oh well.
    One of the above shops mentioned will take u on tours if asked, will not mention because almost all the trails are private property.