mtbr member
    Dec 2008

maui downhill or better islands?

i read through most of the where at thread but did not see a lot specifically for DH

i'll be in maui (probably, although we haven't reserved a hotel yet) in feb for a week or so on vaca with the wife and was wondering what, if any DH there is available? is one of the other island more know for DH and have better trails? first time in HI so i'm really looking forward to checking out the whole scene. i'd love to be able to justify bring my own bike... thanks

pv
    Last edited by ak pura vida; 11-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    dhhawaii.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There are plenty of DH trails on that island

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i looked on that site but it didn't seem real current? i'll check again, thanks. swiper i saw your other post from timberline, so is that on maui then? decidedly looks worth checking out. how long is it? vertical?

pv

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    i looked on that site but it didn't seem real current? i'll check again, thanks. swiper i saw your other post from timberline, so is that on maui then? decidedly looks worth checking out. how long is it? vertical?

pv
    They have a facebook account that gets a bit more traffic now days.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit View Post
    They have a facebook account that gets a bit more traffic now days.
    maybe there is some private facebook dhhawaii you are referring to but it looks pretty quiet there. Am I missing something?

~~~~~~~~

pv
    Timberline is Oahu. That is the only thing in the state currently with a DH race scene. Don't know the status of the old world cup DH course on Oahu.

Maui has the Skyline trail off the summit of the volcano. It's pedally but has a couple fast road sections and a couple miles of single track, but I wouldn't call it a DH trail. It's also a long shuttle drive. You would be disappointed if you hauled a DH bike all the way here. The hotels/resorts are a long journey from any trail riding, except the Lahaina side but you'd need some guidance to the trails around there. The state forest xc trails are an hour plus drive.

Maybe someday, but not this winter, which is a shame with the press Maui gets people are hopeful that this is a good MTB destination. We are working on it and send a PM when you are coming and we can help you get some kind of dirt fix.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005

pv
    People might not post everyday, but there's more people there that ride Hawaii than here.
    DownHill Hawaii - Index

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    maybe there is some private facebook dhhawaii you are referring to but it looks pretty quiet there. Am I missing something?
    DH Hawaii | Facebook

There is a private one too, maybe ask to join and they'll let you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    hey thanks for all the info. i'll check facebook and hit you up again when plans are finalized.

mtbr member
    Timberline is where it's at for "legal" sanctioned DH racing in Hawaii. Riders must have a current Camp Timberline membership to ride. There are lots of fun stunts, jumps, drops, etc. on top of all the different race lines down the mountain. The builders are constantly working up there too. Camp Timberline is in Makakilo on the island of Oahu. BTW, all the magic happens on the closed group dhhawaii Facebook page, haha.

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    dhhawaii.com is totally current! it has all the up to date info you will ever need.

mtbr member
    phuzz everyone is waiting for you to join the closed group on fb. They wanted you to be the 100th member. =P

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    waiting for the coveted 1000th spot.

Red sticky ball
    Apr 2004
    Me and a friend went to Maui last year. We rented some bikes (a Heckler and maybe a Norcal - don't remember) from this bike shop who also rented us bike rack (for the rental car) and arranged for his buddy to take us and the bikes up to the top of the Haleakala.

It was pretty fun but way too short. I think we were down the mountain in less than 30 minutes. Some of the trail was fun technical single-track but a lot of it was boring fire road.

Although the views were great and it was sort of fun going through the flora of different elevations, for the cost and hassle I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone or do it again myself.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oahu has Timberline as mentioned, and also the former world cup downhill course by University of Hawaii on Oahu.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Oahu has Timberline as mentioned, and also the former world cup downhill course by University of Hawaii on Oahu.
    The Oahu WC DH course on Oahu is in St. Louis Heights. On Oahu. (I think it's still rideable but not easy to find).
    Sent from the Redundant Department of Redundancy.