Thread: Maui???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Maui???

Hi All,

My wife and I are heading to the island of Maui in a few weeks, and we're bringing our bikes (http://beardedbiker.blogspot.com/200...ll-travel.html). The majority of my Google Searches have only yielded the "mountain bike down the mountain" tours down Haleakala. Does anyone out there know of any cross-country riding? Even scenic fire-roads would be great...

The shops I've contacted have been, um, slow to respond to inquires...

Any info would be appreciated!

-David

mtbr member
    try to stop by at island biker in kahului. they have a map of makawao forest reserve. look at airwreck sticky on faq's and where to for more info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Would be interested in what you find. I am going for my honeymoon and may want to enjoy a ride while we are there.

boba fett on a bike
    I'm getting married in late Sept 2009 and my soon to be wife and I are staying in Oahu and Maui. I've read a little about Poli Poli park, but apparently it sustained some fire damage in 2007 or maybe 2008. Maybe someone here can comment on whether or not that park is open again and has good MTB riding.

Thanks,
    Todd

mtbr member
    The Haleakala ride is basically a guided tour down the access road... Scenic, but not exactly challenging... I'm not very familiar with other riding spots in Maui, so please post what you find!

~~~~~~~~
    there are two forest reserves here with trails open to mountain bikes, Kula (Poli Poli Springs) and Makawao. Easy to figure out the trails once your up there, a days worth of riding will cover everything both places. Stop by the shops when you're here and see whats up.

Winter weather here can be rainy and windy, Makawao is wet clay with leaves, Poli Poli isn't muddy when wet, but cold.

Poli Poli also has two trails that were recently opened to bicycles for a trial period. They're not getting ridden enough. You can do a big loop 10+ miles of steep rugged trails by going down Boundary trail, up Redwood (rooty granny grunt), up Skyline to the top of Mamane and then down.