mtbr member
    May 2006

Manana trail, Waimalu Ditch trail condition

Anyone rode these trails lately can give an update?

Havent rode these trails in ages. Since Royal summit isnt as easy to access now, figure these two are my closest option from home.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Anyone rode these trails lately can give an update?

Havent rode these trails in ages. Since Royal summit isnt as easy to access now, figure these two are my closest option from home.

Thanks
    I think Manana is in good shape and great fun but... most people disagree with me. It's got some tough climbs for sure but I always enjoy it.

Waimanalo has like 20+ trees down on it right now. I love the trail but plan on being off your bike quite a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahikua View Post
    I think Manana is in good shape and great fun but... most people disagree with me. It's got some tough climbs for sure but I always enjoy it.

Waimanalo has like 20+ trees down on it right now. I love the trail but plan on being off your bike quite a bit.
    Thanks Pahikua. I actually ended up riding Maņana last week after the overnight rain. It was so wet that the water bar stairs were a hazard to roll over. End up walking more than half of it. It didn't help that I was on a single speed. But it was good time riding this trail again after being away for more than almost 15 yrs. It used to be so much more ridable back in the days.

Waimalu ditch trail is actually different than Waimanalo trail and Waimano home road ditch trail.

Waimano home road ditch trail is just a mess of roots that I don't think is worth doing anymore these days. Are you talking about this trail?

Waimalu ditch trail is off Kaonohi St. in Aiea right next to the private estimate. I finally found the entry to it last week. Will try this next time I am in the islands.

On a side note, I wasn't able to find the alternate entrance for Royal summit that some talked about. At the end of the road on the next ridge over from the original entrance, the end of the road is just covered with tall grass and there doesn't appear to be a trail head of any sort. It looks exactly like how it looks on google earth except there is a big bull dog barking out of the driveway next to the end of the road. Can someone please PM me?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh yeah, Manana when wet is a whole different monster! The Maunawili Trail I'm thinking of is the 18 mile loop that follows the upper ridge line. I love the trail but it's a pretty big challenge right now. Maunawili Trail