mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Looking for my old bike

Hey guys!! back in 06 i got deployed. i sold my 2002 K2 Bumpy Monkey Full suspension Mountian bike. I miss it. I grew up in kona, bought that bike from Hilo Bike Hub ( service sticker should still be on it ) But now i have a place of my own and i miss the trails. I can't find a K2 Bumpy Monkey or a K2 Disco Monkey anywhere. can you help me out? I'd really appreciate it. My name is will BTW and you can contact me on my cell. 679-7791. thanks

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lele73
    I can't find a K2 Bumpy Monkey or a K2 Disco Monkey anywhere.
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Why is that? I think they are the best bikes I ever known. I never knew anyone else that had one, but I rememberhilo bike hub had 2 bumpy monkeys and 2 disco. The design is amazing.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Why is that? I think they are the best bikes I ever known. I never knew anyone else that had one, but I rememberhilo bike hub had 2 bumpy monkeys and 2 disco. The design is amazing.
    Yes, 7 speed drivetrains, suspension stems and u-brakes were all "amazing" developments when they came out but are now dinosaurs. There have been many developments in the last 7 years, time to test ride the new amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok understood. Now I live in Kahala. Can someone refer me to a good bike shop, trusted, and wouldn't mind spending the time to find a updated bike?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Ok understood. Now I live in Kahala. Can someone refer me to a good bike shop, trusted, and wouldn't mind spending the time to find a updated bike?
    Here's a good place to start. I'm not too familiar with the B.I. shops other than the Hilo Bike Hub.

mtbr member
    Hey Lele, Welcome back!
    Lele your now in Oahu?

Check out the Bike Factory, They have a few shops on Oahu, Also Mccully Bikes and
    theres a Specialized shop over on Oahu as well.

Bike Factory has Gary Fisher Bikes and Trek.
    Mccully has Cannondale,
    I have seen some really nice consignment bikes at Boca Bikes as well.

Maui has Crater cycles which have Santa Cruz Kona and Intense,
    West Maui Has Giant and can sp order Intense.
    South Maui has Trek bikes.
    Island Biker has Specialized
    Maui Cycles has Scott and Maverick!

The new K2 bikes are mostly Single pivots you may have to mail order it though.
    MTBR is a great place to start looking for a new bike.

Good luck Lele.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hey thanks a lot. I'm on ohau I'll check some places today.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Yes, 7 speed drivetrains, suspension stems and u-brakes were all "amazing" developments when they came out but are now dinosaurs. There have been many developments in the last 7 years, time to test ride the new amazing.
    Whodaphuck nailed it.

I loved my K2 Razorback 'back then' too... but I don't miss the 'good old days'.

Welcome back to the trail. You're going to love your new ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If it's not too late... I'd suggest looking at all the options at the shops mentioned (+ Momentum, The Bike Shop, Bike Werx) before committing to a purchase. After all, the trails are a bit wet right now so it probably won't kill you to weigh options first. Ahh, and once you've made a sound decision, you'll need dirt; let us know if a "411" is needed. The more riders, the better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The closest bike that looks like that K2 Evo series design is the Mountain Cycle Fury.

http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...ycle-Fury.html

If you still want the original Evo series design than check out this site below. They are bunch of Proflex/K2 diehards that can't let go of the past:

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/inde...00dd&board=1.0

I would personally look at the Mountain Cycle, Santa Cruz Heckler or any other modern single pivot design.

The K2 you're looking for had an unsealed pivot roller bearing system. It didn't take much moisture to seige the bearings. The bearing kit is hard or impossible to come by nowadays. Most modern single pivot bikes use standard sized seal bearings so replacements are no problem even is the design is discontinued.

The other problem with that K2 design is the rear shock was a non-standard size and make (Noleen) so aftermarket shocks have to be buggered to make it fit.