mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Late September/Early October Haleakala Climb

Anyone interested in riding up the south side of Haleakala between September 28 and October 4?

I'm thinking of parking as high up as permitted on Waipoli/Polipoli Access (Maybe at the park boundary? I've driven to the top of Mamane on Polipoli before, but that was with a Na Ala Hele worker, so I'm not certain it's totally cool for the general public...) then riding up the road to the top of Mamane. Ideally, from there I'd like to try to ride up Skyline to the observatory gate, but I have no idea if I've got enough lung handle climbing above 9000ft. Wherever the high-point is reached, we'd turn around and head back down via Mamane and then possibly over to Waiakoa (which I haven't done before) if there's still energy to burn. Pace would definitely be casual.

If there are no masochists takers for that ride, anyone interested in showing me around Makawao or West Maui? If you'll show me yours, I can show you some nice spots in WA/BC.

I'd also be up for a separate day of trail work if there's any maintenance going on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    When you get down, come over to oh-wah-hoo and join us for the 24 hrs of hell in paradise going down that weekend.

Have fun!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Always up for a ride in Makawao (provided it's not raining, I don't have my son, have to work etc), there's a new jumpy flow trail under construction that's a lot of fun. Just so you know, once you hit about 8500- 9000' on Skyline you're going to be doing a lot of hike a bike sections through deep cinders. That last 1000' isn't going to be fun.
    The MMBC has regular work days in Makawao, none planned yet for that time period but stay tuned....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Always up for a ride in Makawao (provided it's not raining, I don't have my son, have to work etc), there's a new jumpy flow trail under construction that's a lot of fun. Just so you know, once you hit about 8500- 9000' on Skyline you're going to be doing a lot of hike a bike sections through deep cinders. That last 1000' isn't going to be fun.
    The MMBC has regular work days in Makawao, none planned yet for that time period but stay tuned....
    Any week days that work better for you for a Makawao ride than others? Is afternoon riding a possibility, or only evening?

I was pretty much banking on everything above the big yellow gate being a death march with the ball bearing rock and the thin air. That's why I figured that any elevation gain above Mamane would be gravy.

mtbr member
    Actually, the next 1000' above the gate is kinda cool. All signs of plant life eerily disappear, and the climbing becomes just a wee bit more consistent in grade. The fully exposed vastness of your surroundings and the resulting feeling of solitude is kind of breathtaking, and the complete absence of noise, aside from the sound of your tires rolling through the cinder, is noticeable. Nowhere else like it on Maui.

But as stated above, after about 8500', the only sounds you'll hear are your heavy breathing and your foot steps, sinking deep into the ankle-biting lava rocks under the weight of your bike on your shoulders.