Formerly Empty Beer

Kona trail review

I rode a trail in the Honuaula Forest Reserve that I found online on the Bike Works website. The route they show has you on a paved road (kaloko rd) for the first mile. It keeps getting steeper on this road until you're doing about a 20% incline (20 feet verticle per 100 feet horizontal?). I later found out that Lance Armstrong would train on this road as it is like that for several miles.

After that, my legs felt like rubber as I hit the dirt on the Jurasic trail. Right off the bat, there's a fork in the trail. Lucky for me, two hikers were coming down one of the forks. One ignored me, but the other was nice enough to say that she sees most bikers take the left fork. For the next mile, this turned out to be one of the most technical trails I've ever ridden. This tight single track was constantly going up and down and hard left n right at the same time. Then there were roots that seemed to be every 1 to 2 feet. The roots were perpendicular, diagonal, and parallel on the trail; most were wet. And of course, there was bumpy lava all over the place. I still can't figure out how I didn't fall.

This trail finally dumped out onto a double track with a steep straight downhill. You can't let it go though because of all the loose, fist sized sharp lava all over the trail. I think the Hawaiians call it O' O Lava, and trust me, you don't want to fall on this stuff.

At the bottom of that trail, you're now on what I would call an intermediate to easy trail with hardly any roots or lava; just smooth dirt. My butt was finally enjoying the hard tail that I rented.

You Hawaiians got big coconuts if this is what most of your trails are like. I'd like to ride more in the Kona area, but apparently you need a local to ride with so you don't get shot at by riding on the wrong piece of public property.
    it's good to see your back

mtbr member
    Aloha BP,

I know that trail, fun stuff. I usually park up there at Makahi (start of Jurassic) and climb Jurassic. When I get to the top, I hang a left and head on over toward the trail you rode (we call that one Pig Skull). At the bottom of the trail, make another left and head on out toward Hao Street (which is where you came out). Instead of riding all the way over to Hao, I make a left up that steep, rolly rock double track. I climb up that seriously steep double track. This will intersect the top, rooted trail you descended on earlier. Make a right and climb on back to the top of Jurassic and now enjoy the tight, technical single track back to where you parked. Fund stuff!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    not o'o it is a'a' slang for ouch thats going to hurt. I think I might need to try this one day. sounds kind of like kulani with all of the dang roots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    not o'o it is a'a' slang for ouch thats going to hurt. I think I might need to try this one day. sounds kind of like kulani with all of the dang roots.
    It is kind of like Kulani but with some good extreme climbing and descending. Miles wise not very far, calorie/heart rate kinda high. Fund riding nonetheless.

Formerly Empty Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha BP,

I know that trail, fun stuff. I usually park up there at Makahi (start of Jurassic) and climb Jurassic. When I get to the top, I hang a left and head on over toward the trail you rode (we call that one Pig Skull). At the bottom of the trail, make another left and head on out toward Hao Street (which is where you came out). Instead of riding all the way over to Hao, I make a left up that steep, rolly rock double track. I climb up that seriously steep double track. This will intersect the top, rooted trail you descended on earlier. Make a right and climb on back to the top of Jurassic and now enjoy the tight, technical single track back to where you parked. Fund stuff!!
    So when I took the left fork off Makahi, I missed the Jurassic trail? I should have known not to listen to those hikers. If Kulani is anything like that rooted trail, I'll pass. My 56 year old butt on a hard-tail needs more kindness.

You ride UP that steep 'a'a lava strewn, double track trail?? That's crazy!

I think I'll try the Hao Rd trailhead tuesday morning and do a short up-n-back.

Aloha

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Kulani a little more wet mossy and rooted. I have not been to kona side trails but volcano is always nice. a little altitude can always make a day thing to do tourist stuff in there. but there are fun spots to sight see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPeddler View Post
    So when I took the left fork off Makahi, I missed the Jurassic trail? I should have known not to listen to those hikers. If Kulani is anything like that rooted trail, I'll pass. My 56 year old butt on a hard-tail needs more kindness.
    Nope, that sounds about right. It is a super up and down technical climb over roots and rocks. Great technical challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by BackPeddler View Post
    You ride UP that steep 'a'a lava strewn, double track trail?? That's crazy!
    Yup, that steep double track to reconnect with the top of Jurassic is tough. I have yet to climb the whole thing without stopping to let my heart rate come back down. However, I have ridden the whole thing without having to walk any part of it. Gears really help.

You up for riding up in Kalopa on Friday? I will be there Friday morning.

Formerly Empty Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Nope, that sounds about right. It is a super up and down technical climb over roots and rocks. Great technical challenge.

Yup, that steep double track to reconnect with the top of Jurassic is tough. I have yet to climb the whole thing without stopping to let my heart rate come back down. However, I have ridden the whole thing without having to walk any part of it. Gears really help.

You up for riding up in Kalopa on Friday? I will be there Friday morning.
    I'm back in California. I'll return to the big island when Pele gets angry