Thread: Kihei Maui?

mtbr member

Kihei Maui?

I'll be staying in Kihei all next week, already looking into renting a bike to ride Makawao and Poli Poli but since the hotel that I'll be staying provides Mtn bikes(maybe entry level bikes) I'm wondering if there's any trail nearby worth checking it out our maybe I should just used them to cruse down the beach? I'm a mostly Xc rider but wouldn't mind trying a pump track or any trail nearby, any one has any info?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Too hot to ride in Kihell. Plus no trails.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Pi'ilani Powerlines

I used to ride under the power lines that run paralell to and makai side Pi'ilani hwy. From S.Kihei rd, go up Auhana st(I think, across from the S end of Kalama park, near Cove Park) and you'll see dirt moto/bike trails that go off left near the top just before the highway. If you look on google maps satellite view you'll see what I mean. I haven't done that in a few years, and there has been development along that way, since the google photos were taken, and a paved bike path has been put in along some of it. Still might be worth a shot, not scenic, but some singletrack w/lava chunks, one cement culvert, a big gully to drop into and scramble up (near the big power station), and it's the only dirt riding I ever found. Years ago I used to ride it from the old intersection of Mokulele hwy to Auhana (averages slightly uphill) and back, but I think it'd be easier to see what's still left starting at Auhana.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Maui has some of the most beautiful places to ride but unfortunately there is alot of vehicle traffic and they are easily distracted by scenery so not the safest thing to ride roadways however there is a nice boardwalk along kanapali beach front you could ride.