mtbr member

Kauai in September - Where to rent/ride?

My wife is going to be doing the Kauai Marathon, so we're staying a couple of days in Koloa then heading to the north side around Princeville area for another 3-4 days. Not exactly sure where yet, but trying to find a more remote non-resort type of place in that area.

I'm not going to be shipping my bike out there since I'll only have a couple half days to ride, so I'm wondering what bike rental places are there. Also interested in what trails are the most fun and challenging technically. I'm a fairly good technical rider and do OK on the climbs, and am general fine on every trail except for extreme exposed stuff and large gaps/jumps. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

And if anyone wants to show me around, I'd be happy to bring a local selection of Sierra Nevada and/or Northern CA beers straight from the source!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Just wanted to bump this. I'm heading to Kauai in Sept too. I could bring some AZ craft beer with me if it helps...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    I'll be in Kauai in September also. Im planning on atleast one day of good riding, I'll need to find a good place to rent a nice quality bike too.

Sign Killa
    Wow, I haven't logged in here in a looooong time. Ok, so there's not much trail on the North Shore. Some stuff near Moloaa and the Powerline trail and that's it. Powerline... I hate powerline but it can be fun on those 6 or 7 days per year when it's not a slopping, smelling hike-a-bike.

Kauai Cycle in Kapaa has some decent bikes to rent although they should do a better job of maintaining them. Give it a good parking lot spin before accepting the ride. The Bike Doktor in Hanalei also has a few bikes. Check out the 'Where To' sticky for this forum; it's still accurate.

I haven't been riding much lately but I should be back in the saddle by Sept. Feel free to PM me and I'll at least put you in touch with the group ride crew, which has hit the trails Friday afternoons and Sunday mornings consistently for years. Beer is always welcome with this crowd

@TwoHeads: Kalepa ridge is the most technical but you'll definitely need a guide. There are a bunch of motorcycle trails interspersed and they're too steep to pedal out of.

Sleeping Giant has some tech. spots and rooty sections and is both easy to get to and impossible to get lost on.

mtbr member
    Do you by chance know what kind of bikes the Grand Hyatt rents? Thats where I'll be staying. They say mountain bikes but don't state what brand or anything.

Sign Killa
    Nope, no idea what the Hyatt has for rent. That does remind me that Outfitters Kauai (near the Hyatt) also rents bikes. It's very flat down there so you don't need much just to get around.

mtbr member
    @wu-wie: Thanks a ton! I'm still finalizing plans but I'm pretty sure we'll be up in Princeville the remainder of our trip. I'll shoot you a PM when the date gets closer. Cheers!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I agree w/ wu-wei -my wife and I went to Kauai to visit my brother last month and biked the Kialau-Moalepe trail. It was pretty good! It was a loop that went around to Wailua Homesteads. I didn't enjoy the riding along the backside of Sleeping Giant though. Pretty, but not good riding.
    We rented our MTB's from Kauai Outfitters. They were Kona Big Kahuna 29'ers.

We were going to rent some road bikes from Kauai Cycles in Kapa'a, but ended up doing other stuff instead. (I can ride road anytime- but I can't snorkel and zipline anytime!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just rode the powerline trail.
    The problem with it is that there has been no trail maintenance since about 2007 I would guess.
    Riding up from princeville, you get about a mile on dirt, then there is one HUGE puddle, which went up to my waist. This is enough to stop the 4 wheell drive enthusiasts. So, from then on, the trail is heavily overgrown. It is also very slippery. Those of us not wanting to end up damaging our okeohles will have to walk. I walked about 2/3rds of the trail. At one stage, you have to cross a stream that has cut across where the trail was. At the end of the ridge at the top , that is the southern end, I saw a trail leading off to the right that continues along the ridge . That would be worth investigating. On the way down, there is a lot of slick and slippery rock. Not ridable for the first mile or so. Then, you can kind of slither your way down , bouncing off the bushes to stay upright. Luckily they don't have branbles or nettles on Hawaii.The best part of the ride was jumping into the ford next to the road at the end of it to remove the head to foot mud layer I was caked in. Summary: Not so much riding, More a 10 mile walk with your bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I rented a full suspension Specialized Stump Jumper bike from Kauai cycles in Kapaa.
    They were pretty friendly and helpful.

The bike has definitely seen some use. The suspension is leaking, so I am riding bouncing up and down like a yoyo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm heading to Kauai in November for a couple of weeks. I've been there once before but didn't ride when I was there. I remember the paved roads didn't look great for cycling because most had little or no shoulder.

The Waimea canyon region looked really promising for mountain biking. Wondering if there are good trails there?

Any other trails that are worth getting to? It sounds like the powerline trail is not good but perhaps the Moalepe trail is alright?

Any updates on local bike rentals?

mtbr member
    Bumping!

Will be in Princeville for a week with family over Thanksgiving and want to ride at least one day. I ride mostly AM and DH in Washington and BC but would be up for any suggestions that get wheels on dirt.

Yes, that's fonetic
    You can try The Bike Doktor in Hanalei for rentals/local ride info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kamsbry View Post
    Bumping!

Will be in Princeville for a week with family over Thanksgiving and want to ride at least one day. I ride mostly AM and DH in Washington and BC but would be up for any suggestions that get wheels on dirt.
    I'm actually going to be there at the exact same time (going for two weeks and will be there over Thanksgiving( and am staying at the Westin in Princeville. I'm hopefully to bring along a Salsa Beargrease Carbon fat tire bike that I'm supposed to be getting in October. However it will depend on how easy it is for me to pack an ship.

I figured I can at least ride it around Princeville and Hanelei and then possibly get some trail riding in if there are some decent trails.

Hopefully we'll get some more responses on where to ride.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Did you guys read this thread?