long standing member

On Kauai from 8/9-8/21/2008...got a couple of (hopefully not redundant) questions

I just spoke with the Bike Doktor in Hanalei and he's gonna hook my wife and I up with rentals for a week or so of our stay. At first I mentioned riding "around town" and he was like "you may want to try someplace else because I cater to the clipped-in crowd," which I found hilarious. I let him know that we're actually legit mountain bikers (what that is) looking for "real" mountain bikes and not beach cruisers...although I do usually use platform pedals. I many have to bring my Times along just to prove that I'm not a noob.

Here's what I've got right now as ride possibilities, any feedback would be appreciated:

• Road ride from Hanalei to Haena (Ke'e Beach) - we're staying in Hanalei, so I figure this could be a nice, not-too-strenuous (or long) ride that'll have great scenery and get the blood flowing. Has anyone done this ride before? Is it treacherous sharing the road with crazy tourist drivers? FWIW we'd start really early in the morning (6:00am or earlier) so that we beat most of the west-bound morning tourist traffic. My wife and I (particularly my wife) don't really love road riding, but I figure the scenery and destination will make up for the lack of singletrack.
    • Kuilau and Moalepe Trails - these trails seem to be some of the more popular mountain bike trails on the island. Any input on their current conditions? How about the best route to take? Without any guidance my plan would be to start at the Kuilau trailhead at the end of Kuamo'o Road then to an out and back on these two trails. Any ideas on mileage and elevation change, and where the climbs actually are?
    • Koke'e - I'm at a bit of a loss here. We hiked out here last year, and some of the trails seemed awesome for biking. And, of course, many seemed like nothing but nasty hike-a-bike. I don't really fancy the idea of descending 1500' down the spine of one of the ridges, only to have to hike-a-bike back up. Any suggestions for riding out this way? Or is it not even worth the 2.5 hour drive from the north shore?
    • Powerline - the Doktor said this trail is contraindicated for use on his rental bikes. Meaning: he's had to charge too many people $100 cleaning fees to make the rental bikes ridable again after use on this trail. And since I don't want to pay $200 cleaning fee nor spend 3 hours of my vacation chipping red clay off a couple of Marins I'm inclined to avoid Powerline. Anyone been on it recently?
    • The Doktor mentioned group rides on Sundays and Fridays and said that the Friday rides in Anahola are awesome and are about an "intermediate" level ride. Is anyone familiar with this ride or the route that they take? My wife and I ride regularly on challenging singletrack, but tend to go at our own pace. I'd call us novice/intermediate (her) and intermediate/advanced (me) in terms of technical skills, but intermediate (her) and novice (me) in terms of conditioning. With that in mind, anyone got input on these group rides?
    • Last year we biked on the dirt roads out near Maha'ulepu, but I didn't find them exciting enough to really warrant a trip back to the south shore to ride them again. If anyone's got any suggestions for singletrack in this area, though, let me know.

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. And if anyone's got a regular ride that they wouldn't mind dragging a couple of tourists then PM me, I'll be checking online while we're there. I'd be sure to return the favor if you ever head out our way...although I'm not sure why anyone would want to vacation in central Pennsylvania. Well, actually we do have some great singletrack, and IMBA even did one of their "epic rides" out here a few years ago.

Of course, we're gonna get some surfing in while we're there, as well. Any choice breaks for novice surfers? Novice, meaning...we can stand up on the board, but usually fall down soon after.

Yes, that's fonetic
    [QUOTE=PCinSC]I just spoke with the Bike Doktor in Hanalei and he's gonna hook my wife and I up with rentals for a week or so of our stay. At first I mentioned riding "around town" and he was like "you may want to try someplace else because I cater to the clipped-in crowd," which I found hilarious. I let him know that we're actually legit mountain bikers (what that is) looking for "real" mountain bikes and not beach cruisers...although I do usually use platform pedals. I many have to bring my Times along just to prove that I'm not a noob.

Here's what I've got right now as ride possibilities, any feedback would be appreciated:
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    • Road ride from Hanalei to Haena (Ke'e Beach) - we're staying in Hanalei, so I figure this could be a nice, not-too-strenuous (or long) ride that'll have great scenery and get the blood flowing. Has anyone done this ride before? Is it treacherous sharing the road with crazy tourist drivers? FWIW we'd start really early in the morning (6:00am or earlier) so that we beat most of the west-bound morning tourist traffic. My wife and I (particularly my wife) don't really love road riding, but I figure the scenery and destination will make up for the lack of singletrack.
    • That can be a bit sketchy but it's an absolutely beautiful ride, I used to do it several times/week. The speed limit is only 25 the whole way so just be careful. It's the tourists also enjoying the view (not watching the road) that you have to look out for. Be mindful of the one way bridge etiquette. It's not a "take turns" process, if there's a line of cars waiting on one side, they all go. If you see cars ahead of you on the bridge before you get there and there's someone waiting on the other side, wait. It sounds petty, but the locals can get pretty po'd if you do it wrong, and that time of day it'll be mostly locals on their way to work. Bring your trunks and stop for a dip in the Cold Pond in Haena.

• Kuilau and Moalepe Trails - these trails seem to be some of the more popular mountain bike trails on the island. Any input on their current conditions? How about the best route to take? Without any guidance my plan would be to start at the Kuilau trailhead at the end of Kuamo'o Road then to an out and back on these two trails. Any ideas on mileage and elevation change, and where the climbs actually are?
    Can be wet and muddy. About 9.5 miles out and back. Watch for horses (and their resulting postholes in the mud). Elevation ranges from about 580 to 1080'.
  3. Koke'e - I'm at a bit of a loss here. We hiked out here last year, and some of the trails seemed awesome for biking. And, of course, many seemed like nothing but nasty hike-a-bike. I don't really fancy the idea of descending 1500' down the spine of one of the ridges, only to have to hike-a-bike back up. Any suggestions for riding out this way? Or is it not even worth the 2.5 hour drive from the north shore?
Most of the trails are hiking only, but there's some cool dirt road rides. Kinda depends on what the weather's been like. Could be dry...could be fat with "Hawaiian ice", red clay that's slick as snot when wet. The Mohihi Ditch/Camp 10 ride is a personal favorite.

• Powerline - the Doktor said this trail is contraindicated for use on his rental bikes. Meaning: he's had to charge too many people $100 cleaning fees to make the rental bikes ridable again after use on this trail. And since I don't want to pay $200 cleaning fee nor spend 3 hours of my vacation chipping red clay off a couple of Marins I'm inclined to avoid Powerline. Anyone been on it recently?
  • Didn't make it over for the race there this year (July 4th every year), but was told it was an absolute mudfest.
  • The Doktor mentioned group rides on Sundays and Fridays and said that the Friday rides in Anahola are awesome and are about an "intermediate" level ride. Is anyone familiar with this ride or the route that they take? My wife and I ride regularly on challenging singletrack, but tend to go at our own pace. I'd call us novice/intermediate (her) and intermediate/advanced (me) in terms of technical skills, but intermediate (her) and novice (me) in terms of conditioning. With that in mind, anyone got input on these group rides?
  • This is a fun ride with lots of little ups and downs. The Anahola area is laced with singletrack, so stragglers can get dropped. It's hard to get lost, but finding the groups particular route can be hard if you don't keep up. They're pretty good at leaving at least a couple riders at intersections though.
  • Last year we biked on the dirt roads out near Maha'ulepu, but I didn't find them exciting enough to really warrant a trip back to the south shore to ride them again. If anyone's got any suggestions for singletrack in this area, though, let me know.

• Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Any other suggestions are welcome, of course. And if anyone's got a regular ride that they wouldn't mind dragging a couple of tourists then PM me, I'll be checking online while we're there. I'd be sure to return the favor if you ever head out our way...although I'm not sure why anyone would want to vacation in central Pennsylvania. Well, actually we do have some great singletrack, and IMBA even did one of their "epic rides" out here a few years ago.

Of course, we're gonna get some surfing in while we're there, as well. Any choice breaks for novice surfers? Novice, meaning...we can stand up on the board, but usually fall down soon after.
    It's usually pretty flat in Hanalei this time of year, but anywhere from the pier to Pinetrees is beach break and beginner friendly.

Johnny (aka the Doktor) is an old, dear friend of mine and he's a great resource for conditions and where to ride. Bring him a 6 pack of St. Pauli Girl or Becks and he'll soften up with the goods. (Tell him Todd says hello and whenthehellareyoubringingthefamilytoMauicauseit'sy ourturn?!?) I moved to Maui 8 years ago but still keep in close touch with my Kauai "ohana". If you can find it, "Mountain Biking the Hawaiian Islands" by John Alford is a good technical resource (although it's a bit dated), and you can see pics of me, the ex and the Doktor riding Powerline. Stop into Tropical Taco in Hanalei for great fish tacos, and if RK's behind the window tell him BigheadTodd sends hello to him and Barb.
    Last edited by whodaphuck; 08-07-2008 at 09:53 PM.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck

That can be a bit sketchy but it's an absolutely beautiful ride, I used to do it several times/week. The speed limit is only 25 the whole way so just be careful. It's the tourists also enjoying the view (not watching the road) that you have to look out for. Be mindful of the one way bridge etiquette. It's not a "take turns" process, if there's a line of cars waiting on one side, they all go. If you see cars ahead of you on the bridge before you get there and there's someone waiting on the other side, wait. It sounds petty, but the locals can get pretty po'd if you do it wrong, and that time of day it'll be mostly locals on their way to work. Bring your trunks and stop for a dip in the Cold Pond in Haena.
    The only thing I would disagree with. That road can be a killer. The speed limit is rarely
    adhered to, and usually exceeded by 2X. The tourists are also killer. When they get in a
    line, only the one in front is looking where they're going so if they swerve around you the
    2,3,4, etc may not even notice the move or think the guy in front is swerving because "he"
    wasn't paying attention...that is until they rear end you. Don't ask for any help from the
    police if you're on a bike in a accident. They will not do anything except try and find a reason
    why you're at fault, not the driver of the car. (long story, but suffice it to say, my wife is still
    in pain almost a year later). [/rant]

Can be wet and muddy. About 9.5 miles out and back. Watch for horses (and their resulting postholes in the mud). Elevation ranges from about 580 to 1080'.
    Very wet indeed, but lots of fun.

Most of the trails are hiking only, but there's some cool dirt road rides. Kinda depends on what the weather's been like. Could be dry...could be fat with "Hawaiian ice", red clay that's slick as snot when wet. The Mohihi Ditch/Camp 10 ride is a personal favorite.
    A favorite of my wife and mine. Pretty easy trail, but very beautiful and well worth the drive
    from the north shore.

Didn't make it over for the race there this year (July 4th every year), but was told it was an absolute mudfest.
    They're just whining...I say HTFU (says the guy who came in 4th from last) It will be very
    wet and even worse than race day right now (it's been raining quite a bit).

It's usually pretty flat in Hanalei this time of year, but anywhere from the pier to Pinetrees is beach break and beginner friendly.
    Head on down to Kealia beach or down to Wailua beach. All sand bottom, always waves
    although if the wind is really strong, it could be out of control for learning. There are a lot
    of surf "schools" around that will rent a board and set you up with where to go.

Everything else whodaphuck is spot on...

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yeah, what KB said.
    And your welcome.....

long standing member
    Thanks for the input guys. We're here now (Sunday) but probably won't be able to hook up with John until tomorrow or Tuesday.
    And your welcome.....
    I've been traveling the last couple of days and have not had time to post, Yesterday was a loooong travel day; Left the for the airport in Pittsburgh at 5:00am eastern for a 6:55am flight to Dallas. Three hour layover in Dallas followed by the eight hour flight to Honolulu. Three hour layover in Honolulu before the hop to Lihue, arriving at 6:15pm Hawaiian. Nearly 24 hours of traveling by the time we got to our place in Hanalei. Now it's time to relax.

Thanks again.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Chur