mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Kailua XC rides - routes tips for vacation

My wife and myself are heading to Kailua for about a week (Oct. 15-22, 2008) following a conference on the west side of the island. We're bringing our MTB XC bikes and would like to ride as much as possible. If anyone has any ideas for trails, local rides and such please let me know.

I have searched throughout the forum and found some information, but any personal advice and information would be awesome.

Simon

simon.hirota at ucalgary.ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kailua is the "foot" of the Pali Highway that climbs over the mountains (Ko'olau Range) geographically dividing the island. Headed out of Kailua, up the Pali Hwy, at about 1.5 miles uphill, you'll encounter a hairpin-turn; this is where the Maunawili Trail begins. Unfortunately, in the direction you're traveling, the trail-head is on the opposite side of the highway. . . continue on the highway and you'll pass through a tunnel - shortly after, look for an exit for the "Pali Lookout" on the right-hand side - taking this route will actually pass over the tunnel you just drove through. . . be sure to follow signs indicating the way back to Kailua. Of course, now headed opposite direction, you'll encounter the same hairpin where the (Maunawili) trailhead is located.

The ride itself begins with a short bridge quickly turning into a steep climb (rock-steps) for a short distance. At the top of the climb, you'll see stairs to the right - stay left to continue the Maunawili Trail. . . gradual climbs and quick downhills will trace the contours of the mountain as you enter/exit shallow "canyons". There are some steep sections that will require dismounts (keep in mind that most of the riding is along steep cliffs). Monitor the weather prior to riding - if it has been raining, do not ride! The roots are challenging enough even when dry! In optimum weather, however, you'll be rewarded with not only a great ride but plenty of photo-opportunities along the 10.5 miles. As an "out & back" the trail is taxing. Start the trail at the hairpin-turn and ride toward Waimanalo. . . make arrangements with a "host" who'll be willing to meet you at the (Waimanalo) end of the trail. Basically, the trail is technical enough that you wouldn't want to do it as an "out & back". Finally, don't forget to bring some snacks and lots of water - oh, and your camera!!!

mtbr member

Kailua rides

aloha

we have a group that rides kailua (maunawili/olomana/luana hills) every week usually. too bad you won't be here on the 14th, since that will be our monthly ride/party. i can take you out either the 15th or 16th and show you our trails - can be a bit tricky if it's wet, but still rideable.

pineapplebob@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We have a pretty big gang in Kailua area that is doing a lot of training lately for Xterra. You are welcome to join our rides, usually Tues/Thurs in Kailua - then Sat or Sun on the North Shore of Oahu.

Send me a PM and we can get together.

Also - I would not pass up the opportunity to ride with pineapplebob - that would be a great adventure too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Maunawilli trail is a very challenging trail. I would not call it "fun" unless you have mad technical skills. Most of the "canyons" are unrideable, and you do alot of walking. Like the other poster said, if its wet, don't even think about riding this trail. Back in the mid 90's it was in much better shape and more of the "canyons" were rideable.

The sections on the Maunawilli side are more fun and rideable than the Pali side in my opinion.

I would head up to the North shore and ride Kahuku and the Boy Scout trail. Much more fun for XC type rides.