mtbr member

Kaena Pt washout getting worse

Rode Kaena Pt on President's day weekend. Seems like the washout has eroded more and has gotten worse. It looks like you could climb down and climb back up without a bike but it now looks like its would be pretty dangerous to climb down and up the washout carrying a bike on your shoulders. Has anyone went across the washout recently? It looked pretty uncrossable to me. Then again I'm not the greatest rock climber (Thats why I ride a bike).

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yeah..

Erosion is happening everywhere. The Pupukea are for one--and I just returned from riding the ditch trail---some of the singletrack I rode just 14 months ao is now grown up with vegetation and also has eroded to the point of being unridable---basically leaving the "fire roads".

Dont know the solution for us XC types here on the island---it seems there are too many places to ride that are too short and too challenging and too unbike friendly. That is why I fell in love with Kualoa rancha t the 24 hr race a few years ago--and they used to be open for mountain biking a few weekends a month but no more--just the 24 hr race I guess. It was a primo riding spot.

I hate to say but road biking seems to be much more accessible on Oahu. Although the late afternoon ride today was cool anyway.

You ought to try the fireroads above peacock flats; problem is my buds hate the climb up the steep paved 5 mile road.

Quote Originally Posted by Gflash
    Rode Kaena Pt on President's day weekend. Seems like the washout has eroded more and has gotten worse. It looks like you could climb down and climb back up without a bike but it now looks like its would be pretty dangerous to climb down and up the washout carrying a bike on your shoulders. Has anyone went across the washout recently? It looked pretty uncrossable to me. Then again I'm not the greatest rock climber (Thats why I ride a bike).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Never cross the washout...

Howzit, Gflash,
    I rode out there solo on the 17th, it was pretty muddy. Did you happen to see the tracks that went into a mud bog? Calf deep in the wet,gooey stuff. Almost pulled my shoes off ! Looked like it was dry, but only the surface. Pretty funny. I rode first to the washout , and then doubled back up the top road. Short ride, but it was a perfect clear day. Could see plenty whales and birds and boats. Was nice. Haven't crossed the washout since last summer , although I didn't check it out too closely. Have fun.

L.R.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sunday.....Just ran it as part of the perimeter run, didnt think twice about the washout although there did seem to be some newer miner washouts. I dont think think it would be a problem with a bike, but then again I could haul a bike up the side of Elcap. Muddy yes.

Somebody out there can ride thru it I am sure.

Cheers,
    bill

mtbr member

It was a freakin nice day and I saw whales too

I rode the point on Presidents day and it was packed. There was even a minibus of full of kids and their parents who hiked the trail. Normally I get apprehensive about parking my car at the beginning of the trail but their was so much traffic their that day that I was not worried at all. Most of the trail was dry but there were large patches of mud that were not dryed out yet. Just enough to have a bit of fun if you like going through mud. Saw whales too, that was awesome. I finally got to work out my new Marzocchi fork also. I am far from being at the skill level where I could ride down the washout although I am sure there are those who have the ability to do it or could make the climb with a bike strapped to their shoulders or back. I just did not trust the stability of the rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Erosion is happening everywhere. The Pupukea are for one--and I just returned from riding the ditch trail---some of the singletrack I rode just 14 months ao is now grown up with vegetation and also has eroded to the point of being unridable---basically leaving the "fire roads".

Dont know the solution for us XC types here on the island---it seems there are too many places to ride that are too short and too challenging and too unbike friendly. That is why I fell in love with Kualoa rancha t the 24 hr race a few years ago--and they used to be open for mountain biking a few weekends a month but no more--just the 24 hr race I guess. It was a primo riding spot.

I hate to say but road biking seems to be much more accessible on Oahu. Although the late afternoon ride today was cool anyway.

You ought to try the fireroads above peacock flats; problem is my buds hate the climb up the steep paved 5 mile road.
    If the ditch trail you mention is the Waimanlo Ditch trail, thanks for the heads up. It was the trail that me and my co-worker who I ride with were planning to go next. I called Bike Hawaii about Kualoa and it costs $78 bucks (supposedly 10% off "KAMAIINA" rate from the full $85) to ride it with the Bike Hawaii tour. I guess I will start saving my loose change till I get $78 since I would really like to ride Kualoa. Have to deal with riding with a bunch of tourists too. We have had unusually heavy rains this winter season and during this past year in general. 14 months and all the rain has likely overgrown a majority of the trails on Oahu. I gave in and got a Giant Cypress SX for roadie rides. Yes Oahu seems to be a hard place for us XC types.