mtbr member

kaena point help

any of you that ride kaena point, be aware that the dlnr has removed the 2x8 boards that traversed the washout on the yokes side because of a news story saying it was dangerous. the only other option is up and around the the washout. rather sketchy with some nice kiawe pokings! anybody interested in making a trail around this please respond to this thread or pm me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This is how you do it Bro....

Back in Town, Peace,
    wil

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i rode my bike up to the point where I saw a board across a wash out and stopped there. I wasn't sure what lay beyond and figured that was far enough without knowing.

is it possible to continue around the island once getting past that point?

mtbr member
    yes ammo u ride all the way around. maybe the hbl roadies will bring their tools while on perimeter ride!
    Last edited by robosonics03; 07-14-2007 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammo

is it possible to continue around the island once getting past that point?
    According to the Hawaii Bicycle League (HBL) site there is a scheduled Oahu Perimeter Ride scheduled on August 26th which will ride through that section.

http://www.hbl.org/calendar.html

134 miles, no thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Did that once back in the day when I was in semblance of shape. Started in dark, finished in the dark. We did make the cutoff time for Kaena. So yes, you can keep going, but to get back to where you started without going back the same way is a loooong way. Even if you don't do the 134 mi perimeter, going around through Kunia is far. If you could go through Poli poli pass, that might actually make for a neat mini-century (I'm not sure how far that would be, lot less than 100 mi) I suppose you could cut through Kealia & satellite tracking, done that once, but it's prob not possible now with heightened security. Satelite tracking road is military, & even back when we did it you aren't supposed to be on bikes on the road. If you tried it now I'm sure you'll get chased down.

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    According to the Hawaii Bicycle League (HBL) site there is a scheduled Oahu Perimeter Ride scheduled on August 26th which will ride through that section.

http://www.hbl.org/calendar.html

134 miles, no thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kaena Point is only good for fishing . . .and even that's a stretch. Too long a drive for too many thorns and too much sun for too short a ride at too flat a place.

Hawaiians believed that this was the place where the souls of the dead left for the afterlife - go figure. . .

mtbr member
    everybodys has their own opinion!. to make it more fun i ride a s.s. with a fishing line dragging and troll the coast. if i can get about 3-5 flats it makes the ride more worthwhile!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ". . .3 - 5 flats"? Just how much time is actually spent riding then? All I'm saying is there are a lot of other places on Oahu to ride that offer much, much more - namely more shade and more fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    LOL, yeah, Kaena is prob one of my least favorite places to ride. Hot, filed with rocks or sand, hot, if it's not hot & it's raining, massive adobe mud that will render any bike unrideable. I guess the scenery is nice. Pretty impressive when the waves are up, but then there's salt spray everywhere.

mtbr member
    i was just kidding and i could not agree more, and i ride those other places too i just happen to live 12 miles away and sometimes its the best/easiest option. anyway the point of all of this was i know other people ride there too and was trying to get a group together to make a trail up and around the washout not really to debate how good or bad it is!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sure, I take that way every once in a while after riding peacock flats. If you need some help I'll chip in some time. For me its easier weekdays. Just let me know, I have about every day off right now, until I find a job.

wil

mtbr member
    thank you the interest. maybe wed or thurs of next week i have a friend that could help too. i will pm you