Thread: Just moved

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Just moved

Hi there,

I posted this on the DHHawaii forum as well, and I thought I'd try my chances here also.

My wife and I just moved from Minnesota about a month ago. She is working at UH Manoa, and we are living in Manoa as well. We've been down St. Louis a couple of times on our xc bikes, and I've also got a Schwinn Straight 8 here I'm looking forward to dragging over there. Anyways, I'm checking to see if there is any group rides, trail work or anything going on soon that I or we could tag along for (I've got more time on my hands than she does). I'm hoping to find some places to ride and also just meet some new people as we don't know many here yet.

Thanks a lot,
    Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Matt,

There's a group ride nearly every sunday and always a group of dh'ers at St. Louis nearly every weekend. We're planning on riding RS this sunday. If you'd like to meet up just let us know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would like to meet up. Is this the same ride that Leonard leads? I was sent Leonard's phone number to get details about a ride tomorrow. I'm on my way out the door this morning, and planning to call him when I get home this afternoon. If you've got details that'd work just as well I suppose. We're carless so any tips for getting there by bus, or anyone you know of coming from near Manoa who wants to carpool (I can chip in for gas) would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Matt

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try Hawaii Bicycling league, they do organized rides. Road and dirt.

UH has a cycling team (road).

Also, you can try to get to know the guys that work at the bike shop, they usually do shop rides with selected customers.

mtbr member
    Aloha Matt -

Welcome to Manoa; I live in the valley too.

Looks like you already have a line of Royal Summit over toward Aiea/Pearl Ridge. There is also a network of trails over on the Windward side (Waimanalo/Maunawili) and stuff up on the North Shore.

I sent you a PM with my email. Shoot me a note and we'll see if we can put a ride together.

Whit