Thread: Hawaii trip

mtbr member

Hawaii trip

Hey Folks,

This is a bit off topic from mtn biking but I am trying to plan a family reunion in Hawaii sometime Sept-Oct. Included in this will be my kids which are 4 and 5.

Was hoping you could give me suggestions for places to go that will have kid friendly beaches. My girls are good swimmers but I would not trust them with big waves...and would prefer someplace with calm beaches with good snorkeling and maybe even tide pools.

If you could give me an idea of general areas that would be great as then I could look for appropriate housing.

Also if there is mtn biking nearby...definitely a plus!! (but if not that is okay)

thanks!
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Hmmm...........Well, two places come to mind. There are more but if you end up here on the Big Island:
    http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

Oahu - I'm thinking about the Ihilani Resort
    http://www.ihilani.com/

Of course there are a bunch on Maui from the Makena and Wailea resorts to many out on the West side of the island (http://www.westinmaui.com/).

Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    thanks Gmats for help. I will check the places out.

Probably will avoid Oahu as I just cannot stand crowds....

Of all the islands which do you think has the most kid friendly beaches? And what side of the island as well? I just want my girls to have the best time possible.

Trying to decide between renting house, condo or go full on resort. Also coming will be my sister, her husband and their newborn and my parents. I am leaning heavily to some living situation where I am not sharing a room with them!!
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey, for what it's worth coming from another mainland guy, my wife and I went to both the Big Island and Kauai on our honeymoon. We moved around a lot over two weeks, which is not what you are looking to do, but we did see a fair bit of those two islands. The best info I can give you is on Kauai. We rented a condo in the Poipu area. It was price competitive with a hotel, and we could make our own coffee and meals or go out when we wanted to. We had a mellow beach we could walk to and another nice one a short drive away.

We had a travel agent mention the Princeville area, and there is a big resort there, but it is also the rainier side of the island. There's a golf course there if anyone in your group plays.

Definitely check with the locals about weather and surf during the time period you want to be there. I've heard it gets pretty hot at the end of the summer as the trade winds stop for a while.

What I've heard about Oahu is that some huge percentage of the total population lives in Honolulu, so once outside Honolulu, it is not so crowded. I was there a long time ago.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    The big island is big, but Waikoloa is a nice jumping off spot. If you want to see the volcano (well
    worth it), you'll spend a few hours getting there and back.

Maui is too busy for me, so I tried to avoid it growing up on Oahu.

Lanai, really nice a few good beaches, but $$$ and small (not a lot to do other than beaching, hiking).

Oahu, really nice if you know where to go (there are a lot of uncrowded beaches on Oahu that
    no one goes to).

Kauai, the best IMO. It's small enough to drive around in short time frames (stay away from
    Kapa'a rush hoursssss. Poipu is the most kid friendly during but there's plenty of fun to be
    had on Hanalei bay beaches as the surf doesn't really start till late October. The rainy season
    also starts around the end of October so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Also, the North
    Shore is the most beautiful part of the island, though you will want to spend a couple days
    on the west at Waimea canyon/Koke'e park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Poipu area of Kauai fits the bill...plus it won't be overly crowded in October timeframe. Besides Poipu itself, the beach over by the Marriott in Lihue is usually calm as well. There's a state beach (the names escapes me right now) as well that has jetty's built up to make "safe" areas. It's almost like a man-made lake effect but water flows in and out thru the jetty's. It's SUPER safe for kids and while not the most exciting, we did see plenty of fish there while snorkeling.

mtbr member
    Agreed, Kauai would be great if you're looking for the beach access from a condo/house rental. Kauai's not as crowded as either Oahu or Maui. Lots of activities to do there too.

Big Island's almost as good as Kauai (IMO), especially when it comes to real nice beaches easily accessed from a condo/house. It certainly is different in its own way. Because the place is so big, the Big Island is much less crowded.

What ever you decide, if you make it to the Big Island, PM me or drop me a line. If I can help you out with things, let me know.

Aloha,
    g