Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I was thinking about quickly bombing through crater and Kaupo gap - it seems to me that bike would have little impact.. but decided against it, as crater is wide open for rangers to spot me. Of course "little impact" from one of the few masochists who just biked all the way up the volcano would be quite a bit different if commercial tours start shuttling people.
    There are companies that shuttle people and bikes, but only to the park entrance. Only another 3000' or so from there....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    There are companies that shuttle people and bikes, but only to the park entrance. Only another 3000' or so from there....
    Indeed. Those folks coming down the road looked rather sad..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yea, I'll catch the boat to Lahaina and start, 1st stop is p/u fuel for stove, I solo all gear w/ me, eat saimin, gotta always be on top of the h2o situation, and time is no issue, I really have two weeks but want to play on oh wah who a little.

Google earth shows some non waipoli options that have potential. It's a big drop, so I don't want to have to turn around 1 mile from the hwy!

I have been past this gate
    With permission but I've lost touch with the guy.

Take this a mile or so and there's a small trail going down hill. I'd have to hike the bike a bit but would cut a few miles off the road to Hana.

But I've done that, done waipoli, there's dirt out there that is new to me. Master Yoda says "do or do not, there is no try" Willi seeks dirt, Willi will find dirt, just don't wanna find trouble. Yea then I camp twice before passing wailuku and head back to Lahaina.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm in Maui right now and the way down to Kaupo via sliding sands and Kaupo Trail is mighty tempting!
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Pretty sure the Sliding Sands trail and the associated trails in the crater were marked as no bikes. I was just in Maui (actually just got back in Texas this morning) and thought the trail would be fun on a bike, but that deep sand could also be a lot of not fun.

Maui is beautiful... I wondered the whole time how much off road riding there was and how much of it would be XC.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Yes, that's fonetic
    It's a single track in a national park...of course it's no bikes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2