(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Good places to go in Oahu? bike or otherwise...

...after 3 trips to Kauai and 1 to Maui, I will be returning to Oahu for the first time since I was 12. Will be there for only 5 and a half days.

Where is the best place to rent a full suspension bike for the day, that won't cost an arm and a leg? And where are the best trails? All mountain-ish, 2 to 3 hour ride?

While I'm askin'....best local spot for food?

Thanks for any/all help.

-g

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rumors abound that The Bike Shop has a small fleet of '09 Specialized for rent / demo. Contact them for the "411". Personally, I'd bring my own bike just because I'd want to sample the trails on a rig I'm already used to.

Pray the weather is dry during your visit - if it is / has been raining, the trails become pretty sticky (clay-like mud) and the roots will drop you like Kimbo Slice. That said, most of the trails are, in fact, all-mountain. It all depends on how extreme your tastes are - PM me if you need a description and / or directions.

Hawaii loves their "kau-kau" (food)! There's too many places to mention. I'll presume you're inquiring about Hawaiian-food. "Ono Hawaiian Food" on Kapahulu Ave. is a winner (although a bit pricey). I'd opt for "Alicia's Market" on Mokauea St. for a more authentic (and affordable) experience. . . .

Air Pirate
    Gregg, The Bike Shop has a web page that shows their rentals:

http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/rentals.html

$85.00 a day for the Specialized bikes. They also show a Kona Stinky at the same price. Rental deposit is a "pre-authorized" $1200.00.

They also have a page stating the average price to ship to Hawaii is $200.00, the average price to ship back to the mainland is $125-$150.

I have been trying to check the rental/shipping prices for a trip I am making to Hawaii in April. The airline I am flying on (Northwest) has a bike transport price of $175.00 each way. I would love to take my bike along, but that price is absolute crap. Friggin airlines!

mtbr member

just bring your gear...

Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    ...after 3 trips to Kauai and 1 to Maui, I will be returning to Oahu for the first time since I was 12. Will be there for only 5 and a half days.

Where is the best place to rent a full suspension bike for the day, that won't cost an arm and a leg? And where are the best trails? All mountain-ish, 2 to 3 hour ride?

While I'm askin'....best local spot for food?

Thanks for any/all help.

-g
    gregg - fc has been taking care of me in norcal and some of the other mtbr.com users in socal have also taken care of me - so it would be cool if i could return the favor! what size bike do you ride and when are you going to be on oahu? i'll make sure to get you hooked up with some rides and some good local grines (food).

robert

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ho, Bruddah Rob, where you been? ...thought you was passed-out in a cow-pasture or somet'ing. . .

mtbr member

must've been the shrooms

ha ha - it was just those magical shrooms beneath the cow patties! busy going back and forth still to cali for work - supposed to get a ride in up in norcal sunday morning with fc, the mtbr guru and a few of his buds. we're doing a trail maintenance next week wed at maunawili - are you on the email list?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That explains a lot. . . was wondering where ya been. Take a look at the "Passion" thread; looks like you've been spreading the ALOHA!

No promises on the Wednesday-gig but I'll give you a call (Tuesday eve) if I can commit.

mtbr member

which thread?

which thread are you referring too? i saw the one where someone asked if pua (niki) was my sister...

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Hey Guys, thanks much for the info and tips.

Bob, I'll get your contact info from Francois and definitely take you up on your offer! I'm not sure which day I'm gettin' a pass from the wife, but we'll try and coordinate.

Thanks again!

-g

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For food you can't go wrong with the chicken katsu at L&L