mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Going to Oahu and then Maui and need help!

Just like everyone elses posts I am looking for advice on places to ride. I will be arriving in Oahu and staying in Waikiki from May 23rd to May 28th and then going to Lahaina, Maui from May 28th to June 5th.

I would love to go on one ride on each island and also a hike or too. It would be two of us, my brother and I and we are pretty good riders, our usual rides are around 10-12 miles with 1600-2000 ft of climbing and our longer rides are 18-25miles with 2500-3500ft of climbing. If we could do a 15ish mile ride that would be awesome. But after all the looking I might just be more confused! lol

Any help with a good shop to rent bikes from to a good way to get a ride somewhere and the trails to ride would be appreicited! Maybe you could ride with us and give us a tour in exchange for some beers or even cash is you drive! :cheers:

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nothing? I am leaving in a few days and have a couple spots in mind but it still isnt all clear! lol

mtbr member
    if you read the first topic you would find most info you need. the lbs are helpul in giving you info on local rides.
    The Where To, FAQ.

mtbr member
    When you hit Lahaina, check out West Maui Cycles, ask for Moose or Jaimie, they'll hook you up with some sweet bikes and point you in the right direction. Drink lot's of water on the ride, it'll be hot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks erguy, didnt even see that....guess I just ignore most stickies...

Berarad, i will do!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    From your description, seems like you should take a ride at Peacock Flat on the North Shore of Oahu. Easy to get about 15 or so miles with about 2000 feet of climbing. You will likely need a local to guide you or do a map search in advance.

If you want to rent Specialized mtb, call The Bike Shop. I dont like their Honolulu location too much, but their Aiea shop location is great and is on the way to some nicer rides. Speak to the store manager Mel.

Another place on Oahu that you can get major milage and work out is Mililani. Is kind of semi-private, but most people ride there anyways. Again, you should get a local to guide you on this ride.

You should note that the trails in Hawaii are very very rooty and technical, with single track that drops a few hundred feet on one or both side of you. The two location I mentioned are more continental US style riding with fireroads and milder singletracks. As a Norcal comparison, think Manzanita of Skeggs in Norcal, braille at Demo or Magic Carpet at UC, but in both uphill and downhill directions.

The two places I mentioned are about 1-1.5 hour drive away. If you want something closer to Waikiki, try the St. Louis height trail network by University of hawaii. This is literally right next to Waikiki. But this is a downhill park mostly. During the late 90s, they held a world cup downhill championship race here. If you are looking at this area, then just go to The Bike Shop Honolulu branch to get your rental.
    Last edited by Loll; 05-24-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by erguy View Post
    if you read the first topic you would find most info you need. the lbs are helpul in giving you info on local rides.
    The Where To, FAQ.
    There is almost no info there at all about riding Oahu or Maui.

I'm planning to be on Oahu in July and will also be looking for rentals and trails. I know my way around the island pretty well, but have never mtb'd there Any info is most appreciated.

Big thanks to Loll for the info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    There is almost no info there at all about riding Oahu or Maui.

I'm planning to be on Oahu in July and will also be looking for rentals and trails. I know my way around the island pretty well, but have never mtb'd there Any info is most appreciated.

Big thanks to Loll for the info!
    What kind of riding are you looking for? The Bike Shop has rental bikes and should be able to point you in the right direction if you ask. Their website has some trails listed as well.

Is it Friday yet?
    I'm from Houston, where the trails are very rooty, with steep ups and downs, but no long climbs or downhill sections. I'd be interested in finding something close to my normal trails, or trying something totally different, but don't have a strong downhill skillset, so don't want to go overboard.

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well you'll be right at home with the roots here. Most of the trails out here consist of roots, loose lava rocks, and red dirt, or some combination thereof. A lot of what you'll find out here are a mid to high grade climbs up a trail and then a fast descent. However, there are exceptions... Maunawilli Trail is something like 11 miles of single track that covers some beautiful terrain. Quite possibly your best bet for something like home (I think). Another trail which I was recently shown was Royal Summit. On your way up it is pretty much just an old jeep road that dead ends in some smaller more geared towards hiking trails. On your way down there are a lot of different routes you can take which made me want to charge right back up and hit a different run. Aiea Loop Trail is decent but be prepared for lots of windfalls and ridiculous roots. The downhill run on the back end is a lot of fun though. You should be able to find more info on all of these trails pretty easily through the web. Good luck and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Man Mike View Post
    Well you'll be right at home with the roots here. Most of the trails out here consist of roots, loose lava rocks, and red dirt, or some combination thereof. A lot of what you'll find out here are a mid to high grade climbs up a trail and then a fast descent. However, there are exceptions... Maunawilli Trail is something like 11 miles of single track that covers some beautiful terrain. Quite possibly your best bet for something like home (I think). Another trail which I was recently shown was Royal Summit. On your way up it is pretty much just an old jeep road that dead ends in some smaller more geared towards hiking trails. On your way down there are a lot of different routes you can take which made me want to charge right back up and hit a different run. Aiea Loop Trail is decent but be prepared for lots of windfalls and ridiculous roots. The downhill run on the back end is a lot of fun though. You should be able to find more info on all of these trails pretty easily through the web. Good luck and enjoy!
    How would you rate Aiea Loop? 1-5 on aerobics and technical? My wife and I are also planning to fly back to Hawaii in July and since she will be coming a long, any trails you recommend for beginner-intermediate in Oahu? My cousin lives @ Royal Summit which trail is that one called.

mtbr member
    nm, just checked out the FAQ's lol thanks for the link

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well just yesterday I was told that in the past month or two they have put up signage at Aiea Loop trail that say no bicycles. That being said, I would give it maybe a 3 mostly just for the fact that you have a long steepish walk back up to the top at the end of the loop.

Royal Summit is probably your best bet... I went there for the second time yesterday and met some other guys on the trail who showed me some of the less obvious runs and I was blown away by how much diversity there were in the trails. You can go from nuts downhill stuff to mellow xc all in the same area. You can spend a day up there exploring with no problem. The entrance is at the top of Kaahele Street. Go around the fence and up the jeep road and you're in. Weekends see a lot of bike traffic so there should be plenty of people to point you in the right direction. Definitely the most fun I've had on a trail on Oahu was at Royal Summit.

Is it Friday yet?
    Thanks for the Maunawilli and Royal Summit advice! Looking forward to checking it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Please be considerate of the neighbors at the top of Ka'ahele Street. For the most part, they have been very tolerant of riders and users of the trail. Keep the noise and excitement at a tolerable level so everyone will have a place to ride tomorrow, next week, next year, and for many years to come.

mtbr member
    Aye, always considerate to the residents. They are the ones who make or break the parks. =)