Ologist

Going to the Big Island...

Flying down from Alaska for a couple of weeks for work but I will have a lot of downtime. Is it worth it for me to fly down with my XC/AM rig? I am guessing that is great riding there but I have just started doing my research. I will be on AK Air and then have to transfer to another local airline and it seems like a hassle.Will I have to pay for the bike again on Mesa Airlines?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do you have a road bike? I know this is MTBR, but my sense is that the road riding is mo better than the trail riding.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by madisonian View Post
    Do you have a road bike? I know this is MTBR, but my sense is that the road riding is mo better than the trail riding.
    Is your sense backed up by actual knowledge?

OP, from what I've heard there's lots of good riding there. I'm on Maui, but maybe gmats or one of the other B.I. peeps will chime in to help. Good luck and aloha.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sure could be good riding, but I don't know about it. We spent 10 days on the Kohala coast and saw tons of cyclists on the road but no mountain bikes on racks. The guys at the bike shop in the Queens Shops didn't think much of the trail riding, or at least wouldn't spill the beans. They described the same few miles of trail in the earlier TR here. Seems like a hassle to haul a bike from Alaska, and risk damage by the airline, for that.

Personally, the next time we're back on the Big Island we're bringing travel paddles and board shorts but not bikes. Lot's of awesome standup and OC, plus/minus surfing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Trails on the big island they are kind of scarce. but can be found with the group. Big island riding is supported by all the road bikes (ironman) can't blame the guys in Bikeworks Waikaloa for kind of looking at you strange.

op: which side of the big island are you going to be on?? also depending on how long it might be cheaper to rent day buy day when you have time to ride/

On the big island the majority of the population have a tendancy to the water like usual since we are surrounded. but it all depends on which side of the island.

Kohala, there are some nice fire roads from the highway down to the ocean. but the humidity sucks..
    Last edited by trdspectacoma; 10-31-2011 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Aloha,
    The trails here are pretty technical rooted, rocky sections. There are a couple places on the west side (above Kona), One decent set east of Waimea (Kalopa Park) and a bunch of trails out in the Hilo area.

When are you going to be here? Dates? I'd say it's a toss up, whether you bring your bike or not. Bikeworks in Kona rents bikes. Give them a call.

g

Ologist
    Thanks for the input. I will be there from 4-14 November. Right now I am leaning on not taking it and spend my time diving with the possibility of renting a bike for a day or so (except BikesWorks is all rented out for those dates).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    both bikeworks? one in kona and one in waikaloa. if not it is hilo there is mid pacific wheels and bike hub. depending on what you want to ride the trails in Hilo side can get a little loss of orientation and not clearly marked. but for me myself I would not mind trying the kalopa but I really dont have a trust worthy bike for that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Thanks for the input. I will be there from 4-14 November. Right now I am leaning on not taking it and spend my time diving with the possibility of renting a bike for a day or so (except BikesWorks is all rented out for those dates).
    You probably already did this or noticed this but there are two Bikeworks. The one in Waikoloa serves pretty much tourist staying the resort looking for cruisers and the like and Tri bikes. The Kona shop is the one that deals with mountain bikes.

PM me and if I can ride somewhere around that weekend, I'll give you a call. Right now it looks like I'll be busy the Friday and Saturday in a training class. I am assuming you are staying on the coast there somewhere.

g

mtbr member
    Oh, one more thing. Give Grant Mitchel a call at Mauna Kea Mountain Bikes. He does tours etc, maybe he might have a rental or something or you might be able to coordinate something with him.