mtbr member

First Trip to Whistler

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome freeride video.

mtbr member
    Awesome place to ride, rode there last year. With names like Anal Intruder, A River Runs Through It....Comfortably Numb. So many trails to choose from. Glad you got out there!

mtbr member
    Best trip of my life. Definately gonna make it an annual trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Now that is the kind of vacation I would look foward to.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Happiest place on earth! Looks like you covered most the best trails:
    Crabapple hits
    Dirt Merchant
    Fade to Black
    Crack addict
    DRC
    Goats gully
    OS
    Side car (since you came out of Renegade onto Lower Aline)

The last 3 is one of my favorite runs up there.

Nice going!

mtbr member
    *wipes droll off the desk*... gonna have to make a trip to Whistler some time. Sweet video

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    sick video man. I was just trying to plan a trip there next year! I've always been curious as to how it actually works with the lifts and stuff. Do you have to wait in long lines? How many runs did you normally get in a day?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by apr20vturbo View Post
    sick video man. I was just trying to plan a trip there next year! I've always been curious as to how it actually works with the lifts and stuff. Do you have to wait in long lines? How many runs did you normally get in a day?
    Depends on what time of year. Go during Crankworks and it's up to 45 min wait in the line ups, though
    if you stay in the Garbanzo zone it's not too bad. Most other times you're looking at 2-10 minute
    wait on weekdays 30 min on weekends. Right now is the best time. CW is done, and the crew
    have had time to fix the trails from all the riding during CW.

No matter what though, you'll have fun. Just hit up Silver Star two weeks ago and it is worth
    the extra 2 hr drive, though not much happening after hours as there's really no village like
    you have at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit View Post
    Depends on what time of year. Go during Crankworks and it's up to 45 min wait in the line ups, though
    if you stay in the Garbanzo zone it's not too bad. Most other times you're looking at 2-10 minute
    wait on weekdays 30 min on weekends. Right now is the best time. CW is done, and the crew
    have had time to fix the trails from all the riding during CW.

No matter what though, you'll have fun. Just hit up Silver Star two weeks ago and it is worth
    the extra 2 hr drive, though not much happening after hours as there's really no village like
    you have at Whistler.
    Sweet man! thanks for the info! Any idea how long after CW leaves it takes for the crowds die down? It'd be great to be able to plan to hit the end of CW and then ride after it. (doubt that's feasible) How long was your vacation to be able to do both Whistler and SS?

mtbr member
    I stayed from Aug. 3 till Aug. 12 and the longest I had to wait in line was about 10 min. I would do about 5-8 laps per day stopping for lunch and hitting Longhorn or GLC afterwards.

Fork seals started to weep and went through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire. Everything good as new already. Ready for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good job on the edit too!

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Sweet man! thanks for the info! Any idea how long after CW leaves it takes for the crowds die down? It'd be great to be able to plan to hit the end of CW and then ride after it. (doubt that's feasible) How long was your vacation to be able to do both Whistler and SS?
    It takes less than a week before the trail crew have it buffed out again. If you can get a hotel
    (book early) during CW, I'd say go for the day before during and stay a week ++ after CW
    and you'll get a full experience...CW is really cool, just really crowded on the lifts and lots
    of "rockstars" on the trails. No matter how fast you think you are Brian Lopes will show you
    just how slow you are lol. Also, you get all the industry tents and while some can be stand
    offish many will do fork repairs, brake repairs and warranty issue.

Then you stay after and get to experience the lack of crowds and get to see the punched
    out trails getting more and more buff.

Quote Originally Posted by rat7761 View Post
    I stayed from Aug. 3 till Aug. 12 and the longest I had to wait in line was about 10 min. I would do about 5-8 laps per day stopping for lunch and hitting Longhorn or GLC afterwards.

Fork seals started to weep and went through a set of rear brake pads and a rear tire. Everything good as new already. Ready for next year.
    I don't know too many first timers to WBP that don't go through a set of brake pads and tires
    within a week...some will burn them up in one day lol.

Looks and sounds like you had a great time. Let me know next year and I'll see if I can drive
    up for the day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

It takes less than a week before the trail crew have it buffed out again. If you can get a hotel
    (book early) during CW, I'd say go for the day before during and stay a week ++ after CW
    and you'll get a full experience...CW is really cool, just really crowded on the lifts and lots
    of "rockstars" on the trails. No matter how fast you think you are Brian Lopes will show you
    just how slow you are lol. Also, you get all the industry tents and while some can be stand
    offish many will do fork repairs, brake repairs and warranty issue.

Then you stay after and get to experience the lack of crowds and get to see the punched
    out trails getting more and more buff.

Looks and sounds like you had a great time. Let me know next year and I'll see if I can drive
    up for the day.

Sweet guys! thanks for the info!

I think I would have to rent since I only have a stock remedy 7. How much was it to ship your bike out there?

Where other than St Louis can you ride your DH rig rat7761? Royal Summit? I'm trying to figure out the best places to get ready b/c I want to go next season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That is sweet, big ups for sharing, well put together even the outtakes. I did Mammoth.one summer but it was nothing like that. Does revelstoke "do" the summer thing? Sun peaks does but it's a smaller mtn. I avoid crowds but Whistler looks like its worth it. I would have left body parts on the trails shown but I hope there may be other options.

Cheers,
    Will

mtbr member
    Sweet guys! thanks for the info!

I think I would have to rent since I only have a stock remedy 7. How much was it to ship your bike out there?

Where other than St Louis can you ride your DH rig rat7761? Royal Summit? I'm trying to figure out the best places to get ready b/c I want to go next season.
    I live on Kauai but frequently fly over to Oahu to race. They have sanctioned DH races at Camp Timberline in Makakilo. Yeah I also rode at Royal Summit too. There are other places but I'm not sure if the locals would appreciate me telling where the spots are, haha.

Costs me $65 one way to ship interisland. I ship it Hawaiian air cargo. Paid about $100 extra from Honolulu to Vancouver round trip.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Very cool

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I live on Kauai but frequently fly over to Oahu to race. They have sanctioned DH races at Camp Timberline in Makakilo. Yeah I also rode at Royal Summit too. There are other places but I'm not sure if the locals would appreciate me telling where the spots are, haha.

Costs me $65 one way to ship interisland. I ship it Hawaiian air cargo. Paid about $100 extra from Honolulu to Vancouver round trip.
    Haha gotta love hidden tracks!! Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to meet someone on the trails who can tell me about em'. Thanks for the info anyway...I saw the (or one of) DH course on Kauai (youtube)...WOW I am going to have to take a trip over there!

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

ahhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper808 View Post
    That is sweet, big ups for sharing, well put together even the outtakes. I did Mammoth.one summer but it was nothing like that. Does revelstoke "do" the summer thing? Sun peaks does but it's a smaller mtn. I avoid crowds but Whistler looks like its worth it. I would have left body parts on the trails shown but I hope there may be other options.

Cheers,
    Will
    Will,

Though we've never ridden together, I suspect we like similar terrain. I was a regular devotee of Mililani for many years before the ranch stepped in with the occasional Pupukea and Kuli'ou'ou thrown in. While I do like my St. Louis DH, I'm more of an 'all mountain' guy.

Saying this, I've been to Whistler 3x and only in the bike park once. The XC trails surrounding Whistler Village are probably the best riding I've ever done (I've ridden a bit in Moab and spent time in college in Arizona). Nice and as technical as you want to get. Great, great riding. Climbs, descents, trees, rocks, roots, great traction. Bears. Neat stunts.

Oni

mtbr member
    Wow! Awesome video!