~~~~~~~~

A chance to be heard!

check it out...

Aloha,
    This email is being sent to invite you to participate in the 2008 update of the State Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP). An update of this plan is required every 5 years in order for the State to qualify for the Land & Water Conservation Fund, a federal grants program supporting the acquisition and development of outdoor recreation resources.
    PBR HAWAII has been retained by the State Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to update the SCORP document, which includes the following components:
    • Updated inventory of the outdoor recreation resources.
    • Identification of public demand for resources.
    • Identification of issues and trends affecting outdoor recreation.
    • Strategic plan to address these issues and demands.
    • Wetlands resource plan.

Public participation is an essential element of the SCORP planning process. We are seeking your input to assess community demands for recreation facilities, identify outdoor recreation issues and needs, and identify potential projects to address these issues and demands.
    Ways to participate in the SCORP 2008 update include:
    We appreciate your participation in the SCORP planning process. Please feel free to forward this information to any other interested persons or organizations you know of.
    Should you have any question regarding the SCORP 2008 Update, please contact Audrey at (808) 521-5631 or by e-mail at <abarker@pbrhawaii.com>.
    Thank you!

Canuck on this Rock
    Hey, I got this same email. I couldn't figure out who sent it to me. Now I know!

~~~~~~~~
    I have no idea who sent it to me either!
    maybe it's a trap ...

Canuck on this Rock
    Damn Sierra Club trying to get us in a location and take us all out.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

No good SCORP... Grrrrrrrr...

I automatically threw up a little when I read the word SCORP. Here on Kauai we organized massive MTB input (for Kauai at least). The final draft was a nice compilation of how important MTB was to the people of Kauai. If you read it (I'll find a copy and post it) you'd think there was about to be a breakthrough in bike recreation.

Then it got filed and nothing happened. Zero.

The SCORP was in place when we lost all the Kokee singletrack because "bikes make too much noise" (among other reasons).

The SCORP is a typical DLNR blow-job in my opinion "let's get the public's input so we can get federal funding then do whatever we planned."

SCORP. Grrrrrrrr.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Maybe they don't have as many a$$h0l3s on the other islands as we have here?

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Here's the 2002 SCORP. It's 20 MBs.
    http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/SCORP-Final.pdf

And the previous press release...
    http://state.hi.us/dlnr/chair/pio/HtmlNR/02-88.htm

Here's a quick snip... recreation ideas the public wanted. Note how many of these have been implemented since the last SCORP...

3.4.2.2 Need for Additional Recreation Facilities and Resources
    Meeting participants and survey respondents were asked to identify additional outdoor
    resources needed to meet the community’s recreation demands. The most widely
    identified additional facilities and resources included:
    􀂃 Shaded and/or covered grassy park areas for picnicking and gathering with
    well-maintained restrooms.
    􀂃 Playgrounds with safe equipment appropriate for young children within biking
    or walking distance of residential neighborhoods.
    􀂃 Dog parks.
    􀂃 Safe paths for jogging or biking along highways and surface streets with shade
    trees for comfortable day use and lighting for safe night use.
    􀂃 Skate parks and inline hockey rinks.
    􀂃 Public swimming pools with extensive open swim hours.
    􀂃 Playing fields and courts with lights for night use and nearby restroom facilities.
    􀂃 Parking, restrooms, showers, and other facilities at shoreline areas used for both
    commercial and private ocean recreation activities such as swimming,
    snorkeling, fishing, boating, kayaking, or paddling.
    􀂃 Launch and storage facilities for canoe and kayak paddling.
    􀂃 Camping sites and facilities in both mauka and makai areas.
    􀂃 Multi-use trails and open land in forest areas for both commercial and private
    use by hikers, bikers, hunters, horseback riders, and cultural groups.

􀂃 Mountain bike and/or dirt bike parks.

Unmet Recreational Needs and Problems in Recreation Areas
    The most highly demanded and undersupplied recreational need identified by meeting
    participants and survey respondents were activities in mauka areas. Hunters, especially on
    Maui, expressed frustration with the small amount of accessible areas for hunting.
    Although recreation maps indicate a large number of public hunting areas (see Public
    Hunting Areas maps following page 32), many of these are landlocked by private
    property. This also impacts other users of mauka areas. Mountain bikers and downhill
    bikers expressed an unmet need for sanctioned areas to ride safely without endangering
    themselves and those using the area for other recreational uses.
    Horseback riders reported
    a similar deficiency in areas open to equestrian activities.

Search the PDF for 'bike' and you'll find more gems like these...

§ Compatibility between user groups is a concern. However, there is a sense that
    perhaps the conflicts between just a few users is being exaggerated, for example
    between hikers and bikers.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    PS... I'm still going to do the online survey.

But, maybe I'll add some Jedi-Mind-Trick comments like: "Trout shucking is out of control in Kokee. Goats in Waimea continue to kick and bite tourists. The recent addition of legalized, new, well maintained mountain bike trails has been a huge step forward for recreation in Hawaii. "

Just to see if anyone at the state actually reads the SCORP.

Canuck on this Rock

Yeah, I did it too. Even if it is a farce (which probably it is), at least I can say we made an effort to get our opinion out there.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I did too, but when I hit submit, it switched me to the log-in and showed I had sent nothing.
    There was ~an hour lost.