Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Board Roll Call

54K views 96 replies 66 participants last post by  dbt1989 
#1 ·
Since a bunch of us are becoming "regulars" on this board I thought a little introduction from each of us might be a good idea.

I'll start...

Board name is "Fat Jeff" and that is truth in advertising. I'm fat, and I am Jeff. I live in Ewa but make it out to ride all over the island. Most recently I've been riding Makakilo, it's close and everything else has been pretty wet. I've been riding for 12 years and have tried most types of riding...except trials...can't track stand for nothin. I stuggle on climbs, and love the downhills (favorites being Laie & Makakilo). I have too many bikes, and less & less time to ride them. But I am determined to ride at least every weekend before September when diapers & bottles will rule my world. Like most of you, I work on my bikes myself, but draw the line at building wheels and installing headsets (special tools & real skill required). Otherwise I can fake it enough to justify my Park work stand. In my world I value strong over light, quality over price, and variety rules. I'm a reformed tire **** (new treads all the time, try 'em all) who now runs the knobs way lower than ever before. And I have finally broken that pesky habit of detailing the bike after every ride. Clean drivetrain? Good enough! I'm in this all for fun and I impress no one except maybe my wife (that's because she's never seen YOU guys ride).

So that's me...Fat Jeff...Original Team Clydesdale

Attachments

See less See more
#79 ·
Howzit everybody....my name is Kevin and I'm from Kauai. Been around bikes since I was a kid racing BMX. Bought a rigid GT MTB after college and road around Kunia...nothing harsh, just liked to ride. Had a family and kids and put the GT in the storage shed....my middle child, my only boy is now 11 and I bought him a BMX bike to ride so the GT came out again and I found that I enjoyed it a lot. Wanted to ride some tougher trails but with no suspension the rides were killing my wrists. Found this site and started researching and decided to drop the hammer and buy a Trek Fuel EX8. Love it and try to ride every week....been up to Kokee a few times and realized I should have bought a Remedy... :(

All good though....had some spills but I'm getting back into it and relearning the ropes.

#2 ·
Congrats Jeff!

Fat Jeff said:
Since a bunch of us are becoming "regulars" on this board I thought a little introduction from each of us might be a good idea.

I'll start...

Board name is "Fat Jeff" and that is truth in advertising. I'm fat, and I am Jeff. I live in Ewa but make it out to ride all over the island. Most recently I've been riding Makakilo, it's close and everything else has been pretty wet. I've been riding for 12 years and have tried most types of riding...except trials...can't track stand for nothin. I stuggle on climbs, and love the downhills (favorites being Laie & Makakilo). I have too many bikes, and less & less time to ride them. But I am determined to ride at least every weekend before September when diapers & bottles will rule my world. Like most of you, I work on my bikes myself, but draw the line at building wheels and installing headsets (special tools & real skill required). Otherwise I can fake it enough to justify my Park work stand. In my world I value strong over light, quality over price, and variety rules. I'm a reformed tire **** (new treads all the time, try 'em all) who now runs the knobs way lower than ever before. And I have finally broken that pesky habit of detailing the bike after every ride. Clean drivetrain? Good enough! I'm in this all for fun and I impress no one except maybe my wife (that's because she's never seen YOU guys ride).

So that's me...Fat Jeff...Original Team Clydesdale
Jeff:

Or should I call you Dad? I have 3 rugrats, and I'm lucky my wife lets me out every once in a while!! Good luck.....

Me and Jeff go way back to the hard tail daysof The Hawaiian Mountain Tour, when light was right and weight weenies ruled. I've come full-circle now, where burly bikes are now a passion. In between, I had several metamorphasis, from Cross-Country rider idolizing Johnny T, to Euro Pro peloton wannabe, and now aspiring freerider. One thing that is consistent is that I continue to learn new moves every time I swing a leg over one of my bikes. I've owned many a bike in my day, but I have pared down my quiver to 4 now. 2 road and 2 MTB. 2 titanium road bikes (a Time Trial bike and an all around road bike). One trailbike (5 X 5) and one DH/freeride bike.

The moral here is just keep ridin', no matter what style, cause it's super fun. I think we are all obligated to ride because we can. Some people are not physically able to ride for any number of reasons, so we have to ride in honor of those who cant. Does that make sense? I didnt think so..........

Keep da wheels spinnin'!

Rob

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi

My names Mario. I've been lurking for a while. But since we are doing a roll call...I might as well introduce myself. I've been biking for a few years now. I try to get out almost every weekend sometimes twice a weekend. I like to ride most trails Oahu has to offer. It's all good. I have to make the most of it before I go back to Iraq again...eh whatever. When I get back I can get a full suspension bike and ditch this hardtail :D

Hope to see you guys on the trails,
-Mario

Attachments

#5 ·
Garden Island Roller...

Name's Rob. I ride MTB over here, usually four or five days a week. Most of the crew has "disappeared" or show up only once a month or so... so I self-shuttle by stashing my XC bike (K2 Razorback) in the bushes and swapping bikes @ the bottom. I don't like the climb (although I used to)... I'm hooked on FR so climbing is my yoke to bear. My good bike is a VP-Free.

I've ridden a few times with the crew in Honolulu (St. Louis) and I've ridden Whistler and Northstar but most of my saddle time has been here on Moto-X trails (pictured below).

Attachments

#6 ·
Aloha Friday Boys,

Yeah, I'm here too.
No great pictures of me but I'll check in. I'm "Big" Leonard, as compared to Leonard N. Anyway, just been riding Mtn Bike for 2 years and have been at it steady. Even during the heavy rain times I kept riding the Range roads. The Mililani crew let's me hang around for the entertainment value I think. I appreciate it just the same .These guys know how ride bike and they climb/descend like billy goats. All friendly, good guys with years of skills. So, Im a noob and when we hook up, you'll see the evidence. I'm having good fun and getting into really good condition. Hope to to ride this weekend. Oh yeah, sheared my rear derailler off (stick)during last evening's ride. Bike now in for replacement part. Will p/u this eve. after work. Sunday ride may be on Sat! because of Mother's day...see you all on the trail.
Big Leonard

#7 ·
I'm in

Hey All,
Bill here. Been on a bike most my life. Love the trails we have here in Hawaii. Lost a disagreement with my old company so the wife is letting me take a few months off to enjoy life. Bless her...now if she could just get a second job! Thursday's are my guaranteed to ride dirt days, along with any others I can fit in. I have yet to bring a camera with me but maybe one of my buds will email me one then I'll post.
Have 3 bikes, an old SJ hardtail, and a Trek 5500 here on Oahu, and an old GT on Lanai (i am frequently there) While I am not fast, I can go on forever. Yesterday I bent my hanger on a rock, putting my derailler into my spokes, today I replaced both parts and all is well.
Always up for a ride.

Cheers,
bill

#8 ·
Hey guys, my name is Dre and i started out riding bmx which turned into fixed gear track bikes and now has evolved into single speed mountian biking. I hang out with all the A.S.S. guys (aloha single speeders). Between working 2 jobs, finding ride time is hard, but i manage.

#11 · (Edited)
Hozit dirt addicts

Glenn present
250lbs clyde and it's great to be back in the saddle . I rode in the early 90's when everything was still rigid. Retired for a while cause I Got married, made some kids and gained alot of weight.
Got back into it 2003 and never stopped. I trail ride all of central Oahu during the week before work and do some downhilling on the weekends.
Well hope to see you guys at the race on Koaloa Ranch 7/31/05. I'll be doing both the short track and dh.

Attachments

#13 ·
Hey big Jeff

Fat Jeff said:

My son turned me on to this site and this is his account. So ypu can talk to him anytime and maybe some day even me. I heard all about the wonderful things your life has been recieving and I think you deserve every one of them. I miss so much riding with all of you good people back home. There are soooo many good trails hear and I have only discovered some of them. Youy know how it is when you learn a new trail you want to do it over and over again. I ride Annadel mostly with 46 miles of leagal single track. I am just learning some of Marin now. China Camp is awsome.My best to all da kine ono blalahs. Mele Kaliki Maka! :cool:

Aloha, Jerry kermode

#14 ·
Mahalo Jerry!

I still reminice about the great rides we did from your place in Laie. Great trails, friends, food, and some killer IPAs too!. Nothing going on now comes close to replacing that. Good to hear you're still riding and exploring your new(ish) home. Guess you can't windsurf every day huh? BTW your bowls are prominently displayed in our living room and I get many compliments on them.

For the rest of you...Jerry is an inspiration. I should hope to be half the rider Jerry is when I'm his age. Yup...he's one of those dealy "old" guys that will smoke you every time.

The Best to you & Debbie (Christmas card with the Keiki's picture is coming)

#15 ·
Howzit!

My name is Eric, I've been riding on and off since '93. Mostly off though. Made lots of friends thru MTBing. The sad part is I don't see them anymore and I hardly ride anymore. Need to make time to ride. I see Leonard a lot Sundays @ Costco. Funny, cause he is riding and I am shopping with the family. Now that my 5 year old is starting to ride a bike I am busting out my trusty old Merlin to ride with him. I wonder when he can start riding "Off Road"?

#16 ·
Aloha from Volcano

I just joined the forums but have been riding MTB since the mid 90's, recovered road racer from late 80's/early 90's. Cut my teeth on New Mexico and Flagstaff area trails on an original Barracuda but now living on the Big Island in Volcano Village and looking to expand trail possibilities in the area. Did a cool 30 mile ride down Tree Planting Road from Saddle Road to Kulani Trails to Kea`au; will post pics and a ride report soon. New bike is an IRO singlespeed. I can sympathize with MaukaRunner (above) as my riding and surfing has taken a back seat to raising my 6 year old twin boys- but now they have MTB's and surfboards too... the magic is back!

Aloha- Shawn

#17 ·
Another voice from the past here. I go back to mid eighties. Most know me as Root. Still remember the days of camping at Kahuku & riding w/Euro, Mounto, Wildman, Corn, Katana. The epic rides that would kill me now. Night riding with one NiceLite on bar and a Pelican pencil beam strapped to helmet. Riding Tantalus. Night riding Tantalus with that setup & only Dave, now that was spooooky! My 2nd mt bike, the Monster Fat still hangs in my room. My pride & joy the 10th Aniiversary doesn't come out much anymore. The Voodoo used to see bashing trials & urban duty, it's been gathering dust for a while, but hopefully will get shaken out again soon as the trials boys are at it again. I've broken down & ride my second hand Schwin Straight 6 the most now. But in a bit of a retro holdout it has thumbshifters. Hardly ride now, it's kinda sad.

#18 ·
I'm baaaaack

I'm one of Rob's other "disappeared" formerly known as yride_ynot. I'm back after a hiatus in the mainland. I've been a bicycle wrench for over nine years and my inner retro grouch is taking over causing me to break the chains of mainstream bicycle trends and swear off gears till my knees give out. I also love to ride trials. I'm pretty sure I'm the one to blame for starting Rob on the path to the dark side....er free riding. Hey Rob! remember when you used to ride a K2 Razorback with the worlds most dangerous fork? HAHAHA Rob come out and play!!!! Soon I'll turn you to an even darker path...that of the single speeder! But seriously I talked to Kevin yesterday, I hope the missus is doing well. Oh and I'm riding a Kona Explosif SS and I have a Echo trials bike.

#20 ·
Taaaaaaaaaarooooo!!!!!!

Remeber that Hawaii Mountain Tour chant?

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarooooooooooooooooo!!!!

You and TGC had a good one that day until TGC tried to turn his forearm inside out.

TGC: "Do you think this needs stiches?" Big knarly scar there til this day.

#21 ·
Coming to oahu on may 2nd, would love to hook up with someone a ride your beautiful trails. I am planning on riding powerline and others while on kauai. I am training to do la ruta in november in costa rica, and i have a LOT of training to do. Any info on who rents good bikes would be greatful, I just bought the new ellsworth epiphany, after scrimping and saving forever... wow what a sweet ride that is.

mahalo

richard becker
tulsa ok
and NO i'm not a *******, just got stuck here 6 years ago and i'm drysurfing back to the coast as fast as i can!

#23 ·
Aloha from Arizona

Name is Jason. Born and raised on Maui. Currently living in AZ but moving back home soon. Been riding for about 12 years now. Mostly DH and Freeride but do the occasional trail ride now and then. Started riding while at UH and used to ride St. Louis Heights all the time. Also loved Waimea Falls DH and Aiea loop. Can't remember the names of the other trails we rode. I currently ride with a bunch of the AZ MTBR crew. Bunch of great guys up here. Hope to hook-up with some of the HI MTBR crew when I get back. Aloha.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.