Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Board Roll Call

mtbr member

Smile Da 411

Sorry, experience and riding style: When I was teen I did dirt jumping, and motocross, now at 33 I see myself trying cross-country or basic trail riding, I won't be entering any races anytime soon as I don't have the time to commit nor the patience. I haven't ridden anything but street as yet, just recently purchased a "real" mountainbike. Got myself a 2003 Giant Iguana which I hope to fix up as it breaks, if I really get into the sport I will upgrade accordingly. I have been riding with my daughter on weekends, but will looking for a good group of riders to get some miles under my belt in the red dirt.

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006

Big Eye Ryder

Howzit from the Big Island.
    I ride mainly cross country and all mountain. Would like to get into freeriding a bit. I'm all over the Big Island, exploring and trying new places.
    Started back in late 80's in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, CA, hardtail, solid fork. Palos Verdes was my riding area at the time. One of my friend's was one of the testers of the original RockShox. I took a 12 year hiatus from mt. biking as I had gotten into competing in bodyboarding and getting involved in the competition aspect of the surfing industry. Retired from that. Moved back to the Big Island and took up mt. biking again to cross train with my surfing side. Needed to do something when waves are flat. Now split my time between biking and surfing.
    I'm 41 going on 12......
    Hey I'm going to the Kahuku ranch ride!!!!! Will take pix and post later.....
    Oh, I ride a 2005 Giant Reign, perfect one bike for the Big Island's various terrain. Mainly stock. Upgraded to SRAM X-9s triggers and deurailler. 8 inch front rotor. Crank Bros. mallet pedals. Homemade shock guard. Nokion sealed cable housing, good for the rain here. And an old school Brooks saddle form my okole...
    Shoots Brah!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Riding an active volcano
    Hey honolii29- welcome- I'll be looking for your Reign at Kahuku. Going there from Volcano, meeting up with the singlespeed crew from Hilo. Check out my blog for ride reports and more news about biking in the Volcano area. We are now organizing in order to do some advocacy work and trail building- watch for Volcano Velo, and watch the blog for sign-up info. Give me a shout if you want to ride Volcano sometime- if you don't mind riding with a singlespeed 29er- I surf Honolii every chance I get- watch for me on an a blue & white 8ft Country hybrid swallow tail... See you Saturday!

Shawn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29
    Howzit from the Big Island.
    I ride mainly cross country and all mountain. Would like to get into freeriding a bit. I'm all over the Big Island, exploring and trying new places.
    Started back in late 80's in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, CA, hardtail, solid fork. Palos Verdes was my riding area at the time. One of my friend's was one of the testers of the original RockShox. I took a 12 year hiatus from mt. biking as I had gotten into competing in bodyboarding and getting involved in the competition aspect of the surfing industry. Retired from that. Moved back to the Big Island and took up mt. biking again to cross train with my surfing side. Needed to do something when waves are flat. Now split my time between biking and surfing.
    I'm 41 going on 12......
    Hey I'm going to the Kahuku ranch ride!!!!! Will take pix and post later.....
    Oh, I ride a 2005 Giant Reign, perfect one bike for the Big Island's various terrain. Mainly stock. Upgraded to SRAM X-9s triggers and deurailler. 8 inch front rotor. Crank Bros. mallet pedals. Homemade shock guard. Nokion sealed cable housing, good for the rain here. And an old school Brooks saddle form my okole...
    Shoots Brah!
    Whoa, brah, who is this?? I was riding PV back in the 80's. I too started on full rigid U-brake days with no suspension, no "gears", small tires. I'm now here BI riding what ever I can find. Been here since early 90's. I just got back from awesome 3.5 week trip riding in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and CA (PV etc.) I know the Brooks saddle, got a couple of guys I know still riding those. Hell, I know another guy riding the Reign. Awesome bike!!!

Now riding my 2005 Turner 5 Spot - I built it August 2005.

Here's Build sheet...........
    http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~grant/Tu...ts_Turner.html

And a few pictures...........
    The Bike - I guess there are a few on the Build Sheet

And a couple of riding pics from my last trip (earlier this month).

Aloha!! So many trails, so little time....................

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Howzit Gmats and Shawner.
    I've been on this forum for awhile but never poeted or anything, just reading info and such. I'm a low key kind of guy. Good to hear form you two.
    Gmats - My roommate was Darin Akiyama at the time, and he wrenched at Circle Cycle (now Performance) in Torrance at the time. He used to wrench for Gerry at Mid-Pac Wheels on the Big Eye for years. We used to ride with Roger from Circle Cycle and some others. We'd do the backside of PV Hawthorne Hill climb time trials on mt. bikes against the roadies, and then come downhill off-rad parallel to the road. LOL! All over PV. Lomita horse trail down to the bath house by the beach, Peacock Flats, Del Oro park downhill, just to name a few. Fun times back then, no shocks, no suspensions, pure skills! How about that drop on Hawthorne right at the foothills where they ride motorcross?!! Nuts.
    Shawner - I have read your blog numerous times and smile! I've ridden a lot of the trails you write about, and some "illegal" ones too. Never got caught, but i ride by myself so i keep a very low profile. I have courtesy for whomever is on the trail and have never got any complaints. Yes, will hook up to chat at Kahuku.
    aloha,
    David

Hiking is good for you.
    May 2006
    Gmats,
    By the way, NICE BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolii29
    Howzit Gmats and Shawner.
    I've been on this forum for awhile but never poeted or anything, just reading info and such. I'm a low key kind of guy. Good to hear form you two.
    Gmats - My roommate was Darin Akiyama at the time, and he wrenched at Circle Cycle (now Performance) in Torrance at the time. He used to wrench for Gerry at Mid-Pac Wheels on the Big Eye for years. We used to ride with Roger from Circle Cycle and some others. We'd do the backside of PV Hawthorne Hill climb time trials on mt. bikes against the roadies, and then come downhill off-rad parallel to the road. LOL! All over PV. Lomita horse trail down to the bath house by the beach, Peacock Flats, Del Oro park downhill, just to name a few. Fun times back then, no shocks, no suspensions, pure skills! How about that drop on Hawthorne right at the foothills where they ride motorcross?!! Nuts.

aloha,
    David
    Hey David,

I don't know Darin. I do remember Circle Cycle - both the old building and the new one. I was just out there a few weeks ago. I used to hang out down at Bicycle Center down in Redondo Beach on PCH. Those are the guys I ride with now when I take my annual MTB trips. Every year we take a trip some where. Often Crested Butte CO, Brianhead, Moab etc. We've been to New Zealand, Whistler, parts of Oregon and Washington, New Hampshire, New Mexico. The gang heads to Kernville (lake Isabella area) for the festival. John Stallone at Mountain River Adventures puts on a great weekend of riding. Fat Tire Festival coming up.

http://www.mtnriver.com/fattire.htm

Anyway, hope we can get together some time for some riding. I like technical single track riding. Enjoy going on long rides and just exploring.

Have an awesome weekend.

aloha,
    g

~~~~~~~~
    howzit hui malu mtbr ,

Maui rider Eric here.
    Been rolling the trails of Hawaii since '88, and Colorado before that.
    Perfect day for me includes a fast techy airy ride followed up with some hollow waves.
    usually have to settle for a wet techy ride with mushy surf.

I've done some riding/racing on the other islands, but it's been awhile.

bonus points for anyone who can name the spectators in this early 90's shot of me doing what I do best from a race outside Hilo.

and one of me in the stuff I like to ride.

been hanging out here at mtbr since late 90's, and I spend most of my time in the Turner forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck

bonus points for anyone who can name the spectators in this early 90's shot of me doing what I do best from a race outside Hilo.

Bill Barnfield, , and Tracy Paiva....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kauia
    Bill Barnfield, , and Tracy Paiva....

Ho brah, Tracy looks skinny eh!

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Flat bars, bar ends, two water bottles, lycra shorts and clipless pedals? I hardly recognize you.

Thanks for the Maui show-and-tell. I couldn't find the "Turkey Shoot" on Sunday, but I was a little spent from the previous day... so it worked out OK.

Hit me up if you ever have a chance to come to the Garden Island. I've got an inner-tube for you...

RR

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    morning all,

found this forum while searching out bike info in preparation of our upcoming move to Oahu.

looks like the islands are a 2wheelers dream

I've never had a 'real' bike before, but i'm all set to pull the trigger for a new jamis dakar.

its honestly BIG overkill for myself, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm ok wth that!!

I'm a retired AF ammo troop and after following me around from base-to-base for 20 years, my wife decided join the Army Nurse Corps and got her first duty station assignment to Tripler

anywho... short story is I am a TOTAL noob at any thing other than flat ground bike trails that we have in the mid-west but I'm very excited at whats in store for us.

we should be in place some time around mid-march however I may have to come back to the main land to wrap up a few things and not get back to the island until end of May

looking forward to the adventure!

Mac

Ominus Spiritus
    Hello my name is Tony, must be nice all that warm weather riding and great trails. I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow Kitchener Ontario Canada. I am now riding the winter and loveing it the only surf I see is on my snowboard but still ride my Nomad on the local trails thru winter CHEERS MY HAWAIN AMIGO,S
    Ride the weather don,t let the weather ride you

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hello... New Oahu rider here.

I just got into mountain biking a few months ago, but I've been riding bikes (bmx, freestyle & sportbikes) all my life. Of the 3 months or so of riding, I picked up a hardtail and a full squish... So yeah, I got the mtb bug... ummm, and the wife is gonna kill me when she see's the CC bill .

Royal Summit (Aiea) is the only mountain I've ridden so far. I also met a few regulars (sunday mornings), and got to know some of the trails there. I'm always looking for new trails to ride & people to ride it with, so if you don't mind playing tour guide for a noob (me) , drop me a PM. Cya!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

royal summit

hey how is royal summit? how you get to the trail?

whats the trail like? lots of climbing? technical?

never been there yet. i should try and check it out one of these days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ricebowls...(because I used to live around the corner from said break) AKA Eric. I started riding @ St. Louis Hts about 5.5 years ago but had to leave for the mainland 6 months later so I only got to know a few of the riders back then. Since then I've been riding and racing all over the SF/Tahoe/N*/Santa Cruz area (with a couple local boys too) and taking trips to Whistler. In addition to DH/FR I've gotten into cyclocross and a bit of road on occasion.

I'll be moving back to Oahu July 9th and I'll have my v10 and my truck with me when I get there so let's hook up some shuttles. Also down with some solid trail riding once the rest of my bikes show up.
    ..::SYCIP:RACING::..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ricebowls

I'll be moving back to Oahu July 9th and I'll have my v10 and my truck with me when I get there so let's hook up some shuttles. Also down with some solid trail riding once the rest of my bikes show up.
    You should post on www.dhhawaii.com. A bunch of St. Louis regulars are heading for Whistler right after you get here so the St. Louis action might be a little slow till everyone gets back. I also heard some of the outer island riders are heading up to Whistler around the same time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Royal Summit

Our group has been going there a bunch recently. Some nice stuff. Yes, lots of climbing, but thats how it is here. Mostly not too technical, but theres a few spots. Quite a few options been exploring. Usually go up Wailuna, have been going over to ridges on either side. Some jumps & stunts. Conditions have been nice recently, dry.

mtbr member

Word Up

Aloha!
    Been living in downtown Honolulu for a couple of years. I just bought a 2008 Redline Monocog 29er (SS and rigid ) and am looking to get it dirty. I now have a job where I can get weekdays off and can finally go riding. See ya out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumper808
    Hey All,
    Bill here. Been on a bike most my life. Love the trails we have here in Hawaii. Lost a disagreement with my old company so the wife is letting me take a few months off to enjoy life. Bless her...now if she could just get a second job! Thursday's are my guaranteed to ride dirt days, along with any others I can fit in. I have yet to bring a camera with me but maybe one of my buds will email me one then I'll post.
    Have 3 bikes, an old SJ hardtail, and a Trek 5500 here on Oahu, and an old GT on Lanai (i am frequently there) While I am not fast, I can go on forever. Yesterday I bent my hanger on a rock, putting my derailler into my spokes, today I replaced both parts and all is well.
    Always up for a ride.

Cheers,
    bill

Here I am

There I go

mtbr member
    I'm new to the rock but have been riding fo' evas! As long as the trail ain't completely flat my nuts will be falling all over it. PM me, if I should drop in on ya. Hoale Hellrider.

FC
    Nutz from the sky!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Howzit! I am not a new rider but just decided to sign up on here. I have been mountain biking on and off since about 96. I just got a cheaper Iron Horse to get me back into it while I save for a Scott or Specialized. I live on the Big Island kona side and have lived on most of the islands as I flew heli tours.

Shoots, guess thats it.

Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007
    Just moved to Oahu for school at UH Manoa. Had to leave the bikes at home cuz the housing I have does not allow bikes inside, and not willing to lock my Niner in public. Went from biking 3-4 times a week and racing every month or so to nothing. Was supposed to go to Colorado and be on the team for school but funds for tuition did not allow it.

So if anyone has an extra bike I can ride with them, I will have my helmet and stuff shipped out, PS I take a large frame. My school schedule is in the morning, most days I get out at 1145 or 1030. Dont know much about the area, just hiked some trails near Honolulu and that is about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Andrew present, started riding back in 2008 and more recently been getting more serious. 250 lbs. clyde and proud of it

Canuck on this Rock
    We need to get this sticky moving again!! Bunch of people on here that I have not seen in ages!! Come on new skool, introduce yourself!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast