mtbr member
    May 2006

Bikes on Hawaiian Airline

Have you travel with your bike from Hawaii to continental US before?

What was the experience like? I will be doing the reverse and traveling from continental US to Oahu.

Did you show up earlier than the 2 hrs recommended time? Did you go directly to the counter to check the boxed bike in? And most importantly, did the bike get mistreated and came back damaged?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Aloha,

Yes, I regularly travel with my bike packed in an old, rolling BikePro case on Hawaiian Airlines.

The time involved to check in isn't any longer then usual based on my experience.

Unfortunately, it is going to cost you. Here's the link to Hawaiian's Website:
    Hawaiian Airlines : Contract of Carriage

Earlier is always better for just the reason of unexpected things like unprepared people in front of you or traffic issues, etc.

Biggest caution I can think of is the weight. Packing a mountain bike in a case can get difficult to keep the weight below the 50lb limit. If it goes over 50lb, there will be additional premium charge. Therefore, I spent a lot of time making my case lighter. Even then, I ended up packing lots of my riding gear in my other piece of luggage.

Good luck with that.

g

mtbr member
    Actually, the 50lb limit pertains to regular checked baggage. The limit for a bike is 70lbs

Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha,

Yes, I regularly travel with my bike packed in an old, rolling BikePro case on Hawaiian Airlines.

The time involved to check in isn't any longer then usual based on my experience.

Unfortunately, it is going to cost you. Here's the link to Hawaiian's Website:
    Hawaiian Airlines : Contract of Carriage

Earlier is always better for just the reason of unexpected things like unprepared people in front of you or traffic issues, etc.

Biggest caution I can think of is the weight. Packing a mountain bike in a case can get difficult to keep the weight below the 50lb limit. If it goes over 50lb, there will be additional premium charge. Therefore, I spent a lot of time making my case lighter. Even then, I ended up packing lots of my riding gear in my other piece of luggage.

Good luck with that.

g

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I never had a problem when I went to Whislter, and I just put it in a bike box. A 47lb bike with
    all the padding and such was still under the max 70lb range. The biggest issue I had was keeping
    it from being too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr4eva View Post
    Actually, the 50lb limit pertains to regular checked baggage. The limit for a bike is 70lbs
    That maybe true, but you will end up arguing the point. I use to live in HI, but thankfully can now drive to CO, UT, AZ an other riding meccas. I've had to dismantle my bike case and repack my bike luggage into another bag. That wa with my mountain bike. My road bike typically was under 50. If you travel on military orders the limit is 70. TSA almost always opens your box up then randomly crams you stuff back in. This has resulted in a couple bent brake rotors so now I take them off my wheels. I also pack my frames with pipe insulation to protect them and pad the rear derailleur- this may not be necessary depending on your case.
    Good luck...
    Btw- in HNL your bike usually comes out about 10 mins after the rest of the planes luggage.